Help me decide on the right breed for us

(33 Posts)
adogforme Tue 21-May-13 18:22:33

Hi

We've decided to get a puppy in the next 12-18 months by which time my children will be nearly 7 and 4. I don't want to rescue a dog add we want the experience of having our dog from a puppy plus knowing it's background. I want a pedigree as I wouldn't know how to responsibly get a cross breed pup. Our what size it might turn out.

I have worked with dogs in the past but not in a home seeing so I often didn't see the whole picture.

So 1) not too big not too small. Springer is to big. Chihuahua is too small.

2) reasonable exercise requirements. Able to come on a long family walk but not go daft if we're having a lazier day.

3) no terriers. I have a cat and rabbits.

In many ways I think a cavalier would be great for the children but are the health risks too risky. I think a cocker could be great but is cocker rage too much of an issue.

Oh and I'm not mad about fluffy dogs. blush

Is there a dog for us?

moosemama Thu 23-May-13 09:18:47

Sorry adogforme grin Just think how fantastic it will be when you finally get one after a five year wait though! wink

I was actually going to put NS Tollers down for you as well, but thought they might be a touch too large.

adogforme Thu 23-May-13 16:51:01

Oh Basildon how exciting. Have you been given any indication of possible time scales? Have you had to go and meet the breeders?

I have square eyes from reading all about these two breeds. I am smitten. But they are so rare. If DH's career takes off as planned we may look into importing.

adogforme Thu 23-May-13 16:52:30

moose the NS Toller is a bit bigger than my stipulations but they are such a compact little retriever that I have fallen in love.

adogforme Thu 23-May-13 16:54:00

Thanks skinhead. I am always amazed that people take such time to give suggestions and help. I've made my decision though and I'm picking out names already so excited.

Tallyra Thu 23-May-13 17:28:41

I don't have much experience with other breeds, but I'd say not a staffy. they are lovely, don't get me wrong, but don't quite fit the exercise category. I've had one for 3 years since he was 1, and my god, the energy!! we or our parents walk him for a minimum of an hour a day, and maybe in the evening too if he is too much for us. if we don't take him out he will get more and more childlike and annoying, doing things to get our attention and destroying things he's not supposed to have.
a friend has a whippet and he's much easier exercise wise - one walk and then he sleeps, although he'd take another if offered.

moosemama Thu 23-May-13 21:54:10

grin at picking out names already! I'm just the same, currently planning a rescue (probably another lurcher) later in the year and ridiculously excited. blush

Currently favouring the name Seren for a girl, but dh has vetoed my favourite - Jasper - for a boy. hmm

basildonbond Thu 23-May-13 22:55:52

Am going to meet one breeder next week (6 hour round trip!) - the other one I 'just' had to undergo a grilling over the phone ...

The first one has one bitch which was mated last week so possibly looking at September, the other one is waiting for her girl to go into season but fingers crossed we'll have a puppy by the end of the year

They are just gorgeous, gorgeous dogs - I grew up with labs, golden retrievers and collies so my Ur-dog is really a gundog type but our house isn't really big enough for a golden retriever or big lab and knowing how nutty working collies are until they're about 7 I knew I needed a dog which could be a bit more chilled ... Met a couple of Tollers and was smitten - right type, right size, right temperament and beautiful too!

BOF Thu 23-May-13 23:04:28

Just get a properly health-checked Cavalier. The breed needs the support for responsible breeders, and I guarantee that you will never find a dog that loves you more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now