How to get an over-friendly dog to go away?

(34 Posts)
TheDelectationOfSmaug Sun 28-Apr-13 13:24:54

Was recently out in a local park with DC.

A large labrador (or possibly golden retriever) came bounding over - not on a lead - owners nowhere in sight.

It was jumping up at my kids and was taller than them on its hind legs - they were crying and very scared and running away, but it followed us. It didn't seem aggressive but very over-friendly.

Eventually my DM who was with us got it to go away by growling at it and hitting its nose.

I was very shaken (as were DC) and couldn't help thinking what might have happened but for DM (herself a former dog owner).

Have any of you dog owners got good advice about how to fend off a dog like this and get it to go away and leave me and my kids alone?

TheToysAreALIVEITellThee Sun 28-Apr-13 18:18:26

Turn back on dog - risk of loss of eye, however minute already massively reduced

Hit a dog on the nose - possible bite from dog trying to defend itself

colditz Sun 28-Apr-13 18:21:05

Because NOBODY KNEW WHAT TO DO which is why this thread was started. It is not against the law to not know how to control someone else's dog.

bubbles1231 Sun 28-Apr-13 18:21:21

No touch, no talk, no eye contact.
Arms in, turn your back.
Unfortunately the squealing and flapping that children do, whilst perfectly understandable, only makes it worse.
It's really important to teach children how to behave around dogs.

Whoknowswhocares Sun 28-Apr-13 18:23:25

Err but why did the DM mother NOT know if she has had dogs herself? Just how difficult can it be to hold a collar, even if you don't know to turn your back etc?

Floralnomad Sun 28-Apr-13 18:25:38

I'm astounded that people on here think that the OP and her mother were out of order . As for saying hold its collar ,that's more likely to get you bitten than slapping its nose . The OP has asked what she should get her children to do in future and has been sensibly advised but TBH the person at fault here is the dog owner ,if you can't control your dog and its likely to jump up people it should be on a lead ,especially in an area where children are playing .

colditz Sun 28-Apr-13 19:06:52

Your own dog is not someone else's dog, is it? I know my own dog would never ever bite me if I grabbed her collar, but my mother's dog probably would. If you don't know the dog, you don't grab the dog. You don't touch the dog if you can help it.

Of course, all this is a lot easier if the dog in question doesn't have a turnip instead of a responsible owner.

RedwingWinter Sun 28-Apr-13 19:29:11

Grabbing an unknown dog by the collar (sometimes even your own dog) can easily result in a bite. It's one of those things that ideally you train puppies to respond nicely to, but most people don't. Hitting the dog is also not a good idea because it too could result in a bite.

The 'be a tree' advice is excellent and the best thing to do. If it were an aggressive dog, rather than an overly-friendly one, 'be a tree' is still the best thing to do. It can be hard to remember in the middle of a stressful situation, so it's a good idea to get children to practise it in advance. Some schools have workshops to teach children how to respond to dogs, which is fantastic idea. (Also some dog trainers run these).

If you ever have to back away from an aggressive dog, back away slowly, don't make direct eye contact but do keep watching it so that you can respond to how it behaves and stop and 'be a tree' if necessary.

pigsDOfly Sun 28-Apr-13 22:58:42

I find it extraordinary how many people do not control their annoying dogs in the park.

My dog likes to chase her ball, but the amount of times we've had other dogs not just trying to take the ball, which is annoying but that's dogs, but dogs that just won't leave us alone. I've been followed from one end of the park to the other by other people's dogs, and not a sign of the owner. Where are these people when their dogs are annoying others?

3kids2cats2dogs Mon 29-Apr-13 14:09:52

this is how we have taught our little ones to behave around dogs (all dogs not just ours)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Z9RRjiQMA

the end part is about dogs jumping up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now