Help me to choose the right dog, please!

(3 Posts)
FeelingSurprisinglyCalm Sat 16-Feb-13 21:06:29

Hello there. I've not posted in this section before so please be kind!

I've been thinking for a while that I'd love a dog. I grew up with dogs, but have never owned one. I'm thinking that this is the year that we get a dog. So if you could help me think it through, I'd really appreciate it.

Here's my situation: I'm going to be a lone parent soon, with dc aged 10 and 9, and two cats, whom we all adore. I work full time, but based out of the home and flexible hours, and there are plenty of people around me who've offered help wrt dog-walking etc. The dc have wanted a dog for ages, and would shower a dog with love and affection. We live in a detached house with no immediate neighbours, (the nearest are about a 3 - 5 min walk away, and well out of earshot of our house) so one of the reasons for getting a dog would be as a deterrent to burglars and so on.

So we would like a dog who is okay with dc and cats, okay to be left for a couple of hours at a time (but no longer, really) and with a decent bark smile. I'm wondering about Shetland Sheepdogs; what do you think? I had a look at rescue dogs (our cats are rescues) but because of the dc and the cats, and because we haven't had a dog before, I'm thinking that we need to choose carefully. How do you recommend going about looking for a dog? Thanks in advance for your help.

DeepRedBetty Sat 16-Feb-13 21:17:44

This is the Rescue I work with. Jemima won't let you take a dog that isn't suitable grin And this is their Facebook page.

FeelingSurprisinglyCalm Sat 16-Feb-13 21:20:45

Thank you, DeepRedBetty! I will have a good look. Do you think it's a case of talking to lots of doggy people and seeing what they recommend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now