Leg Cocking to wee

(35 Posts)
TeaOneSugar Sat 26-Jan-13 20:08:47

DD would like to know when our puppy will start to cock his leg for a wee, any idea what the average is?

He's a six month old cocker spaniel.

We've only had one male dog before, a rescue who always squatted because he had bowed from legs, so it's a novelty.

SpicyPear Sun 27-Jan-13 20:51:58

SpicyPup started occasionally cocking from 9 weeks! Some frantic googling ensued to check something wasn't horribly wrong. He has consistently cocked from 13 or 14 weeks and never squatted, just did it standing up. He is 5 and a half months now and marks on walks. Furry plums off in a month or so I think!

Jas is 18 months old and still squats. I have a feeling he won't ever cock his leg.

groovejet Mon 28-Jan-13 17:04:55

Mine is a year old next month and has never cocked or squatted he just stretches himself out and goes. He did have a brief stage of going for a wee and then after he finished cocked his leg think he was a bit confused grin

He was not really a humper either, apart from a couple of collies then he was a tad obsessed.

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 17:37:15

Doesn't he get his tummy sprayed/squirted?

groovejet Mon 28-Jan-13 17:41:34

Not that I have noticed, he just manages to stretch and do the splits with his hind legs to avoid his tummy. Will have to have a closer look next time he goes to double check though grin

TeaOneSugar Mon 28-Jan-13 17:49:40

Ours sort of stretches and wees, rather than squatting like our bitch used to.

He keeps getting a sticky patch just in front of his willy, I'm hoping that's wee.

digerd Mon 28-Jan-13 20:17:01

Tea
Yes it will be. You should shower that bit every day - will only need a few seconds once the sticky patch has been got rid of. It could cause him skin irritation if left.

aliasjoey Mon 28-Jan-13 20:23:43

thinking about it, our (neutered) dog cocks his leg when marking his scent out on walks, but when he's just in the garden he does the stretch-hover, lifting one leg about an inch off the ground.

I never thought about it before. really, how bored am I to be thinking about it now grin

mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 08:36:11

Jas is 18 months old and still squats. I have a feeling he won't ever cock his leg.

he will never be a man grin

digerd Wed 30-Jan-13 17:19:14

My little female I have had for 3.5 weeks is in season. I will be getting her spayed in 3 months time. She sniffs at all the cocked adverts for ages and when she likes it she squats at the bottom of it - and she seems to like lots of them. She's a right little hussy. But didn't at all. Wonder what her criteria is?
Where no other dogs have been, she squats with her right leg cocked sideways bent. Perhaps she can tell which ones have been neutered? Not enough testosterone in wee?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now