Getting quote for dog insurance. What do I put as the breed?

(7 Posts)
bryte Sun 20-Jan-13 19:30:34

We've found a lovely lurcher to adopt and pick her up at the end of this coming week. I'm getting quotes for insurance at the moment. She's a lurcher that is likely a cross between a bedlington terrier and perhaps two other breeds of sight hound.

Do I nominate her as a cross-breed, and then tick lurcher in the drop down box or can I nominate her as a mixed breed of a specific size? I mean, a lurcher is a term for any dog crossed with a sighthound but could be quite a mixture of unknown breeds in all.

I'm asking because mixed breed is a few pounds cheaper per month than lurcher. Seems a bit unfair.

Ilovebrusselsprouts Mon 21-Jan-13 14:07:30

I would put crossbreed as you don't know what she is a mix of.

bryte Mon 21-Jan-13 17:43:37

But what's the difference between a cross breed and a mix breed?

Cuebill Mon 21-Jan-13 18:03:54

If there is an option of lurcher and she is a lurcher then tick lurcher.

Any documentation from the vets will say lurcher (If that is what she is) so anything else may affect the insurance.

DeDevilTail Mon 21-Jan-13 18:23:56

Crossbreed suggests that the dog is a cross of (known) breeds. Mix breed could comprise any number of breeds, i.e. what use to be known as a mongrel, mutt or heinz 57.

bryte Mon 21-Jan-13 18:32:39

Yes, i guess a vet would write down lurcher, so I had better put lurcher.

MagratGarlik Mon 21-Jan-13 21:33:35

My lurcher is down as a greyhound cross (she is because she's a greyhound x whippet). However, I think you need to consider insurance companies will use any excuse possible not to pay. Therefore you don't want to find that if you need to claim on the insurance, they don't pay out due to a technicality.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now