Do you think dogs get bored if they do the same walk everyday?

(37 Posts)
FiveHoursSleep Fri 11-Jan-13 14:32:27

I've always assumed they do, so try and walk mine in a different place every day of the week.
But I've noticed a lot of people seem to do the same walk everyday and today was speaking to a friend who does this and asked if she didn't worry about her dog getting bored.
She looked at me as if I was mad, and said Of course not, it's a dog!
Maybe I am mad? What do you you think?
BTW I get bored if I walk in the same place 2 days in a row, so it's possible this is more my problem than my dogs' problem!

AlcoChocs Sun 03-Jul-16 13:44:55

Some dogs like to keep to the same walk, they can check their "pee mails" to find out who's been along the route since they were last there smile

Dieu Sun 03-Jul-16 10:27:59

I'm quite samey with Teddy's walks blush but he's not very bright and acts like it's new every day grin

Noofly Sat 02-Jul-16 21:48:35

I think my dog would prefer to do the same walk every day. I do take him on a group walk twice a week and he goes to doggy daycare once a week, but on the remaining days he is always desperate to go to the same field where he can have a good run around. Sometimes I drag him along to a field further along or go in a different direction, but he always seems quite put out and left to his own devices, I think he'd stick to the one field. It's always changing with the seasons and has a good amount of wildlife and fox poo so I think it gives him a fair a bit of variety.

MarcoPoloCX Sat 02-Jul-16 15:38:27

There's a large group of us and we meet almost every day at the park. We walk around and then have a cuppa at the coffee shop and catch up. My two love meeting their doggy friends and play.

AllMyFriendsAreWasted Sat 02-Jul-16 14:00:03

My dog is quite thick and is very content in his regular walk - he picks up litter and buries it, then digs it up the next day and buries it somewhere else. He always gets very indignant if we've been elsewhere for a day or 2 and any of his 'treasure' is missing....

RoseDog Sat 02-Jul-16 13:50:53

My dog goes in a huff and gets confused if you change her walk, she was never walked as pup/young dog/adult until she came into rescue, we do change her walks all the time but she likes going somewhere familiar.

insan1tyscartching Sat 02-Jul-16 13:44:57

Eric pretty much chooses his walk as it depends on whether we go left, right or up or down as we leave the house. He tends to vary the routes but has times when we do the same walk for a good few days (generally there is a bitch involved then though) At weekends though we take the car so we choose but his favourite is always out in the Peak district where he can roam for miles.

pigsDOfly Sat 02-Jul-16 13:31:24

Good idea Eggs maybe next time I try taking her somewhere different I'll take my own ball, chuck it about a bit, run and catch it and maybe she'll follow my example.

I may end up looking like a complete weirdo but at least it would liven up my walk a bit grin

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Sat 02-Jul-16 13:24:55

pigs maybe the dog is waiting for you to run around firstgrin

pigsDOfly Sat 02-Jul-16 13:17:17

Interested in the views on here because this is something that's been on my mind with my dog recently.

Where we used to live we had several different routes we use to walk, she used to love the beach and all the smells, the different parks and even just walking in the street but now that's all changed.

We now live somewhere that has only one fairly long road, leading to a turn off onto fields and further on onto the main road.

She has now decided she doesn't want to go to the fields at all so every walk we do we end up going up to the main road. Once there she refuses to budge unless we cross the road towards the park.

If I drive her to somewhere new, once there, she will walk for a short way and then sit down and refuse to walk any further. She doesn't like the woods, the beach - different beach from before - or any local walks at all. The only place she's okay, other than the park, is walking in our local town centre - very small town.

I've pretty much given up trying to get her to take an interest in places other than the park now, but I am so bored with walking the same route twice a day.

She's not a nervous dog, I think she just loves the freedom of the park. Although, I tried taking her to a different field this morning where I let her off lead but after about 5 minutes she stood still, looked me in the eye and refused to move until I clipped her lead back on and headed for the way out.

I don't think I can go on walking the same route for the next, hopefully, 10 plus years.

DiamondInTheRuff Sat 02-Jul-16 06:49:33

Dog, not song, obviously. Can't even blame autocorrect for that one...

DiamondInTheRuff Sat 02-Jul-16 06:45:18

I think it depends on the song and depends on the walk, but yes, on the whole, it's good to vary things.

Our girl is very nervy so if I have to walk her alone we go to the little woodland nearby. She needs that familiarity of somewhere she knows well. When we're walking both of our dogs we go all over the place exploring. Unfortunately they have very different exercise needs so sometimes we need to walk separately (girl is 7YO and has arthritis, boy is 12 months and, well, bonkers!).

They're always exhausted when they've been somewhere new though, I love seeing them sprawled in their beds, snoring away.

I am grin at the OCD dogs!

LynetteScavo Sat 02-Jul-16 06:37:14

I think some dogs would get bored, like some people.

Some dogs would like the familiarity.

Like people all dogs are different.

Katizzle Sat 02-Jul-16 05:02:35

I think they still enjoy it but I think they do get more excited when they get to see ESPECIALLY smell something new. =)

iseenodust Tue 15-Jan-13 15:17:57

doh - word not work. Work for me though getting him to come back on a beach.

iseenodust Tue 15-Jan-13 15:17:00

Ours likes a bit of variety and goes nutty with excitment in the garden if you tell him he's going in the car. He also knows the work seaside!

mrsjay Tue 15-Jan-13 15:10:36

my dog does that peri and dd2 usually takes him when she gets in from school yesterday dh took him before that they were away for hours, but still when dd came in at 4 he was pacing and doing his cmon them are we going grin so i think they are creatures of habit sometimes,

PeriPathetic Tue 15-Jan-13 15:07:53

I don't know! I'm pretty sure mine gets bored, BUT also has a touch of OCD sowe can only turn left out of the gate confused If I try to vary the day by going right, she digs her heels in and will. not. budge.

mrsjay Tue 15-Jan-13 15:03:58

My dog goes on 2 different walks with dds dd1 takes him 1 way dd2 takes him another and dh likes to mix it up yesterday was a long walk and he was knackered when he got back, dd2 so I am not sure he always seems to pull towards dd2 walk though so maybe he likes the routine ?

I dont walk him

KiwiJude Tue 15-Jan-13 06:23:10

Our boxer loves going for walks anywhere and does not seem to mind if we go the same route a couple of days in a row. We don't go far as he is getting on and runs out of puff pretty quickly these days, and he loves to stop and sniff here, there and everywhere so it can take us a long time to go not very far sometimes. I liken his sniffing etc to reading the daily paper - there are places he absolutely has to stop and spend ages sniffing, which I guess is a bit like me turning to the funnies or the crossword first.

Truthfully I don't know if my dogs would prefer the same walk every day because I'd get bored with it. smile

They have always seemed excited by new places and more excited by familiar places if a couple of days have gone by. Well, all except Pupiranha, because she is the most ridiculously timid dog ever and outside is scary. New places for her are terrifying! With her we have to walk the new place with Old Dog first a couple of times and then she can just about cope with going there by herself. Lord knows what we are going to do when Old Dog dies. She's got cancer and a heart condition so it's only a matter of time. sad

Bowlersarm Fri 11-Jan-13 19:33:32

I think they do get bored. Term time I walk my dogs with various friends with various dogs on various walks. They come back knackered! In holiday time I just walk my dogs locally on the footpaths near to us day in day out. Then they bug me all day. They are definitely more stimulated on the variety of walks in term time and sleep all day. The local walk they do day after day means they are much less settled for the day and much morE demanding on me!

TwoFacedCows Fri 11-Jan-13 19:09:14

my dogs have 4-5 different 2-6 mile walks that we do on a regular rotation, so that they dont get bored!

The also get to come on days out with us to the beach etc. they love new places!

Mutt Fri 11-Jan-13 18:56:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

oneforthemoney Fri 11-Jan-13 18:52:33

Not my dog. She gets ridiculously excited by everything no matter where she goes.

She is a springer, though and very into sniffing and generally enthusiastic about everything.

She doesnt do the same route every single dsy, but there is a particular walk that is easier for me to manage with the buggy, which we tend to do in the week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now