Tell me about BARF

(32 Posts)
Jinglemyalanbells Sun 09-Dec-12 13:59:17

I'm considering it for my pup who does seem to have a bit of a sensitive stomach. However, I also have two young dcs and a job!
Is it a faff? I've heard of the benefits but not sure I can commit to it if its a lot of work.
Where do you get your raw meat from?
Does it work out more than you paid for kibble?
Can I mix kibble and raw to keep costs down?

Whippoorwhill- Sorry to barge in but could you answer a few questions for me?
I'm changing my beloved mutts over to raw in the new year and have read some conflicting things.

Do you bother with carbs such as rice/pasta/potatoes? What about fruit and veg?
Some websites/blogs say give them. Some say don't.

Count Staffula is grain allergic and Doodlebutt is just a pig!

Certainly. smile. I don't do any carbs at all except in the puppies training treats. I think they have some non grain starches. To begin with I did feed a bit of raw veg, blended with a little water and used to add it to their mince. All it seemed to do was make them fart vilely and if there was too many carbs in it, it triggered yeasty, itchy ears in Old Dog, so I ditched it too. They didn't seem to miss it.

I should give the puppy more fish or salmon oil for the omega 3's. Old Dog is allergic to all types of fish so she can't have it and I tend to forget about it.

gymmummy64 Thu 13-Dec-12 13:57:36

OOh please someone answer Personal Clown's question on rice/pasta/potatoes. This is the one I don't understand as the packets of Prize Choice say equal parts carbs, meat and veg.

Thanks very much. The info out there is so overwhelming.
Going to start with chicken wings/legs to start them off with!

That's what baffled me Gymmummy64.
I saw that on the back of the packet. I thought dogs needed more protein than anything.
Not that my dogs will mind. They are partial to a bit of boiled rice or pasta. or anything that is supposed to be mine!

Meant to say, they've had fruit when they've picked it themselves. They like blackberries and raspberries that they find on walks, apples that fall from our tree and the occasional plum from next door. There was also the tragic year when we forgot to close the gate and they picked all the strawberries.

It makes Old Dog itchy too but so does lots of things she finds to eat when out walking such as other dog's poo. sad

Good luck Personal Clown. I'm sure you'll be fine and your dogs will love you for it but if you do run into problems I bet someone here will be able to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now