Cross Breeds. What is your opinion.

(153 Posts)
MrsDeVere Fri 19-Oct-12 17:49:06

I am NOT starting a bunfight thread and will not participate in one. If it goes that way I will simply hide this thread and not come back smile

I am genuinely after people's opinions and their reasoning.
I have noticed on threads that there seems to be a general dislike of cross breeds. Not the actual dogs, I am sure you all love the individual dogs, but the idea of them.

Is it only the 'designer' crosses that are the problem? If so I can understand that. But I dont get the problem with genuine mongrels.
But then I understand the problem with people not getting their dogs neutered and I suppose if they did, there wouldnt be any mongrels would there? <confuses self>

The reason I ask is because I have never had a pedigree and never had a desire to own one. I think they are perfectly lovely but I would be happy if all dogs were mixed (dont hurt me).

I had a proper Heinz 57. He was simply the best dog ever. Collie size, retriever type coat, head like a flat GSD and the best natured dog I have ever met.
We had a ChixJRT (we think) who we got when she was 7 from DGM who was going into sheltered housing. She was a bloody nightmare but lovely. Escapee extraordinaire and lived till she was about 19.
I have a terrier cross. Quite a big body and little legs. He is now about 15-17 and living with my DS who he adores.
I have a chi x pom (klein) who is lovely, no trouble, never runs off, ignores other dogs and loves the DCs. He is 3.

All of my dogs have been rescues apart from the Chi x. I wanted a puppy and had small children so knew it would be almost impossible to rehome (from past experience).

I did a lot of thinking before chosing a cross breed type. I wanted a small dog without any terrier. I think I am a responsible dog owner. My dogs are all neutered, trained, chipped, wormed and vaccinated.

I would like another dog at some point but am confused as to how to go about it. I would gladly take a puppy from a rescue but what are my chances?
If I buy one from a private home am I encouraging feckless owners or helping solve a problem by homing an unwanted puppy?

Is there a way of doing this the right way?

nooka Sat 20-Oct-12 08:13:25

Sites like Many Tears for me are the reason why I'm not keen on designer crosses (plus the ridiculous names, what on earth is wrong with saying that your dog is a cross between two breeds?). All those dogs bred because they were thought to be the in thing and then abandoned when demand wasn't quite what was expected.

I grew up with a pedigree Springer, followed by an unexpected Collie (champion working stock but incredibly nervous), what my mum calls a 'London black' and now have a lovely smallish mutt. My sister has a pedigree mini Schnauzer and my brother a Golder Retriever from I suspect a backyard breeder (health problems seem consistent).

My view is that dogs temperaments depend more on their families than anything else. Oh and that my dog is the best grin

There are loads of lovely dogs out there needing new homes MrsDeVere, I'm sure you'll find one that fits your family.

MrsDeVere Sat 20-Oct-12 08:18:31

smile @ London Black

My dog was a British Brown Dog grin

I know exactly what a London Black is!

It's not cross breeds themselves

It's the back yard breeders who deliberately put 2 dogs together with the express intention of making a cute sounding dog that they can charge people a lot of money for.

Back yard breeders do not in general know a great deal about the health of the dogs. They are not interested in the welfare of the puppies. They do not check what type of home they go to, whether the persons lifestyle is suitable for a puppy, and if there is a problem with the pup, or as in many cases the person gets the puppy home and discovers how much hard work it is and can't be bothered with it,the BYB is not going to take the puppy back or work with the owner to try and rehome.
So the puppy ends up in a rescue.

You only have to look at how many staffies are in rescue or put to sleep but irresponsible BYB continue to breed them and people continue to buy them.

The latest craze seems to be for these "doodle" dogs. So because unscrupulous breeders know they can cash in on this craze, they put these 2 breeds together without much thought or planning, without much thought for the welfare of the dogs or puppies. And people continue to buy them. And then continue to stick them in rescue or have them PTS.

It's supply and demand isn't it?

My very first dog was a staffy x boxer. He was a rescue, well they have all been rescues. Ive got not problem with x breeds, it's just the unscrupulous BYB who can't wait to cash in on the latest fashion.

<and breathe>

mrsD there are quite a few rescues that will rehome to families with younger DCs, depending on your circumstances.
You aren't too far away from where I live, if you want another rescue (you know you do) I can give you some details?

Go on, get another dog grin

What sort of dog do you want?

Blackballoon Sat 20-Oct-12 09:06:03

Both my dogs are mutts. Not rescues but from unplanned litters. Both brilliant dogs. One is healthy as anything, the other has a chronic disease which will kill her. I love all dogs but hate all the designer breed rubbish. I'm a vet nurse and it always amazes me how people will pay a fortune for a "designer" crossbreed and yet don't have the money to pay for its vet bills. It also drives me mad that people are purposely breeding these crossbreeds when the rescue centres are packed with crossbreeds but people don't want them as they don't have a stupid made up name. Grrrr! And for the record we see just as many designer breeds with health problems as we do pedigree dogs.

MeFour Sat 20-Oct-12 10:16:35

The problem I had is that the majority of no tears dogs are the other side of the country.
That's a five hour plus drive or as I don't drive over a hundred pound by train just to go and have a look.
We went to local rescues instead but none had puppies.
What we have decided instead is that we will never get another dog

Floralnomad Sat 20-Oct-12 10:31:03

I got a 16 week puppy from Battersea ( now 2.5) . He was just a small black mutt ,he turned into what looks like a scruffy Patterdale. He is the perfect family dog as long as you keep him away from anything small and furry ! He was the best £95 we ever spent ! Our local dog walking field is full of designer doodles and they also seem lovely but I like many other posters can not understand why people pay more for a Xbreed than they would for a pedigree. What's wrong with just getting a poodle if you want a curly dog ?

MrsDeVere Sat 20-Oct-12 10:35:41

tantrums you really shouldn't be encouraging me...
But anyway,
1. Male
2. As young as possible.
3. Small (pref toy)
4. No terrier (lovely but I am being realistic)
5. Coat not a problem because I will clip if necessary (again realistic, allergies and central heating)
6. Must be able to cope with noise and general mayhem
7.someone is in all the time so he wouldn't be left alone for long periods
8. He will get daily walks and free run of the garden but we won't be tramping through woods or on beaches daily.

I don't mind a girl or a slightly bigger (but still small) one and of course they don't have to be a mixed breed..
But a big, working type who doesn't like kids would be out of the question.

LtEveDallas Sat 20-Oct-12 10:54:29

YY to everything Tantrums said, especially It's the back yard breeders who deliberately put 2 dogs together with the express intention of making a cute sounding dog that they can charge people a lot of money for

Accidental matings should be 'free to a good home' or given to a rescue with a hefty donation. Back yard breeders - and I include in that expression anyone who purposely crosses 2 breeds to make cutsie named puppies - should be heavily fined, in fact fined more than they were intending to make out of the puppies. Maybe that would stop them.

I've had 4 dogs since I was an adult. 3 were/are Mutts, one pedigree. A collie/lab we found in the street in NI. A JRT/corgi from Dogs Trust. MuttDog is a Collie/Springer/?? From Many Tears and RottDog from a local independant rescue. I paid nothing for the first dog, £100 donation for the second, £160 donation for the third and nothing for RottDog (she had issues and was driving the rescue demented!)

I don't understand why anyone would pay £300/£400/£500 for a bloody mutt, and think it is disgusting that BYBs charge that sort of amount.

(as an aside, many years ago I wanted a Saluki, but the only breeder I could find in the UK wanted almost £1k for one. I am astounded to see one at Many Tears shock. If RottDog wasn't so ill I would be in there like a shot)

Ok. Im going to keep my eye open for you grin

Between me, my mum and my dd, we volunteer at 4 rescue centres and we are also dog fosterers. I shall find you the perfect dog grin

It's a shame you are not looking for a staffy, there are thousands of the poor things waiting to be rehomed.

zombieplanmum Sat 20-Oct-12 11:05:16

Do people really not like the idea of cross breeds? I have more of a problem with over bred pedigrees with limited gene pools, mutations that mean that they can't give birth naturally and have to undergo anaesthetics that put them under great risk because they can't fucking breath (my sil has this particular breed, ive begged her to get hers speyed because she doesn't intend to breed from her (i dont believe her) and im worried about complications for the dog).

I think cross breeds are a good thing, i have two of them sat on my feet just now grin I have also owned pedigree dogs, two rotties, one i bought as a pup and the other was a rescue. My second rottie died from bone cancer at 4 yo, a common rottie disease. My first one lived to be 12 which is a good age for a large pedigree dog. Cross breeds live forever in comparison, well some do, some don't but you know what i mean.

I guess there is an argument that with a pedigree you have an idea of what the dogs temprement will be like, if you have a cross you might not be sure of its heritage etc.

So i'll just sit on the fence for this one.

zombieplanmum Sat 20-Oct-12 11:09:38

tantrums all you have to do is convince MrsDeVere that a staffie isn't REALLY a terrier (which of course it is, but you can get staffie that don't have the bull terrier bit on the end can't you - you CAN can't you) because otherwise a staffie, or stafford as they are otherwise known grin sounds like it fits your criteria perfectly Mrs D wink They aren't all mental ok, most of them are, but hey and staffs (another name for one that isnt a terrier) will cope very well with general noise and mayhem and not be cowed by it like some "toy" breeds will.

nkf Sat 20-Oct-12 11:11:38

I think it's odd that they have silly names and people who've bought them dislike the silly names.

zombieplanmum Sat 20-Oct-12 11:13:42

Oh so were talking "designer" dogs rather than cross breeds - well, if people want to pay £££s for a cross breed thats their lookout i suppose. Saying that i did pay £250 shock for my Border terrier x patterdale (that i knew the mother wasn't a full BT because i have eyes and im not an idiot) but i just liked set up better than all the pedigree BTs i had seen, mother was friendly etc etc. So people paying money for the right dog, fine, but paying over the odds just so that it can have a silly name - labradoodle, cockapoo etc is just plain daft. But i might pay money for a Shit poo or a Bull shit grin

clam Sat 20-Oct-12 11:18:59

"but paying over the odds just so that it can have a silly name" Seriously? Do you know anyone who has really done that? hmm And of so, more fool them.

nkf Why odd? You're buying the dog, not some stupid label.

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 20-Oct-12 11:22:31

I love cross breeds and mongrels. I have three of them in my house atm, tow lurchers and a terrier mix.

Like Tantrums it is the breeders I cannot stand, not the dogs themselves. Making money from your pet dog without doing all the necessary checks, ensuring the bitch and pups have all the relevant vet care and making damn sure your puppies go to a good home and insisting on taking them back should the home fail, is abhorrent imo. Not only because it shows the 'breeders' think of of their bitch as a way of making quick cash, but also because they are adding to the wider problem of there being too many dogs and not enough good homes for no reason other than cash.

The 'oodle dogs bother me more because they are nothing more than an expensive fashion accessory, often bought for the wrong reason and by the wrong people just because they are 'cute' - they serve no purpose that is not already fulfilled by the breeds we already have. They are not healthier than pedigrees. A cross breed can have inherent health issues from either parent breed.

Too many people have jumped on the bandowagon now and these poodle crosses are going the way of the staffy. There are too many of them being bred with no thought as to what happens to the puppy after the 'breeder' has made their money.

I don't mind the people who buy these dogs unwittingly because they fall for the propaganda and blindly believe they can find a good breeder (there are no reputable breeders of cross breed dogs) but those who buy the dogs despite knowing these facts, simply because they feel entitled to buy whatever dog they want regardless of it's welfare or that of it's parents are almost as bad as the breeders themselves.

Staffy pups are bonkers. I can't even pretend otherwise
LittleDog, 7 months old is, as I write this, following the cat. He has been following the cat for 25 minutes. Every time the cat turns round and looks at him, he runs away, hides under the table for 30 seconds, wriggles across the floor on his stomach and then resumes following the cat.

This game never gets boring. But in a minute the cat will get pissed off and go through the bars of the stair gate to escape.

So then LittleDog will sit there crying for 5 minutes and then go and jump on BigDogs back to wake him up.
And then he will run away from him and run round the garden for half an hour.

He is quite mad. BigDog is lovely though, not mad at all.
They grow out of it.

MrsDeVere Sat 20-Oct-12 12:06:32

If I wanted a staff all I would need to do is stand at my front door and shout J-Zeeeeeee!

Sorry to stereotype but I live in East London smile

I don't really like staffs as a breed. Not because of their poor rep but they are just not my sort of dog. Sorry guys sad

If I wasn't going to go for a little dog there are a few on That rescue site I would love!

Bright, cross breeds who look like they have a touch of collie/lab/etc. about knee height with short tan coats. Proper dogs.

But I can't have one of those so tantrums keep your eye out for my new dog child

Oh don't worry, i will find you the perfect doggrin

MrsDeVere Sat 20-Oct-12 12:14:26

zombie I take your point about toy breeds being cowed by mayhem.
That's why I went for a puppy. He is absolutely fine with the chaos smile he grew up with it and is a year younger than my Dc4 so they grew up together in the loveliest way.
He didn't bat an eyelid when DC 5 came along.

He is nervy when we are out and is very watchful. He has the Chi 'shiver' but is a happy little chap.
Really prone to weight gain which is something I hadn't bargained for. But I know now and will watch out for it if I get another little dog.

MrsDeVere Sat 20-Oct-12 12:16:35

I have just broken the news to OH grin

I think it would be really good for DS2 to be involved. He has high functioning asd and moderate LDs. I think he needs a dog to love and to love him.

Asd dogs don't all have to be flipping golden retrievers do they? grin

LtEveDallas Sat 20-Oct-12 12:32:43

Oh bloody hell. Me and DD have just spent half an hour on MT and between us have come up with a list of 12 that we want. This.is.not.good. grin

There is a dog at the rescue that I am so tempted to bring home.

I keep looking around thinking where I could put him.

LtEveDallas Sat 20-Oct-12 12:49:32

We want another one, but not yet. RottDog was a result of my rescue owner friend phoning up and saying "this bloody dog is driving me DEEMENTED, can you come and take her out for a couple of hours?"

She never went back.

It's only been a couple of years but she has been worth it, just wish we could have kept her longer. She's been spoilt rotten by us though, so cannot be too sad. She has had a great life with us.

I reckon once she's gone I'll get another phonecall - friend is sneaky like that smile

HoneyDragon Sat 20-Oct-12 12:59:25

I've broken it gently to dh that we may end up with another dog in 12 - 18 months. If my family member acquaintance persists in getting the breed of dog (epicly bouncy) as a puppy in a house where everybody works and has clubs.

LittleDog was a 3 week foster 4 months ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now