The Politicians Husband…?

(221 Posts)
recall Thu 25-Apr-13 21:15:00

Anyone watching ?

Eliza22 Sat 11-May-13 10:40:32

It's a shame really, as EW, DT and the actor playing Grandad (Jack Shepherd) are all excellent but, the script was shite and I guess even good acting can't overcome that. My ds has Aspergers and I thought DT's reaction (struggling and realising his son's future was never going to be like that of the boys kicking a football around, in the park) was plausible. The only thing that moved him to tears was his son.

The final scene was laboured but DT's look was one of utter, sickening realisation that his wife was sitting where he had expected to be and his life henceforth was going to be secondary, to her. Many men have that look about them, in the face of a woman who surpasses them. I liked that.

It was corny and predictable though and it could have been excellent. The only "real" person, for me, was Jack Shepherd's "grandad".

louisianablue2000 Sat 11-May-13 11:11:33

It was no Borgen was it, although I suspect Emily Watson was used partly for her similarity to Sidse Babett Knudsen. Her bun wasn't as fabulous though shallow, never mind the politics.

Eliza22 Sat 11-May-13 12:47:12

True, true. It wasn't Borgen, that's for sure. Please let's have the next series of Borgan ASAP. The characters are all so real and the script writing allows them that authenticity.

A small note regarding DT's hair. I wonder how it would have been depicted on "Spitting Image". Plenty worth satirising, there!

UhOhChongo Sat 11-May-13 21:30:44

I was disappointed by it too. Seemed like a Painting by Numbers version with all the subtleties of shading taken out.

Kudos to the child actor who played the son, though.

diddl Sun 12-May-13 09:20:07

It was pretty much the same as the Polotician's Wife, wasn't it?

She's supported his career at the expense of her own, he ruined his himself, she got the job he wanted.

I hated the thing with the GF-playing dead.

I've never found that funny(maybe just me)-so the poor sod's body was in the garden all night!

wintera Sun 12-May-13 10:31:00

Yeah it was similar in plot but just remember it being fantastic and gripping which this wasn't. Juliet Stephenson was bloody brilliant and Trevor Eve was suitably sleazy lol. Just did a search for The politician's wife on YouTube but its not there unfortunately.

diddl Sun 12-May-13 12:06:46

Yes, PW was much better iirc.

Llareggub Sun 12-May-13 14:29:33

She sat down rather gingerly in that final scene. I suspect he was still exerting power over here in the bedroom.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 12-May-13 21:29:54

I THOUGHT THAT TOO!

Fiderer Mon 13-May-13 05:32:58

It crossed my mind too! In the scene where she sits alone in the Cabinet Room, she was all slinky and sensual.

Don't think it was nerves or a touch of sciatica at the end.

Was trying to figure out why I keep thinking about the PH. Probably because it could have been so good, cast was good but it was like the plot slipped too many gears and was annoyingly predictable. Maybe they filmed it over a wet weekend.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 13-May-13 09:42:33

I thought she sat gingerly because it's one thing to imagine being in the PM's chair and quite another when you actually find yourself there.
Especially with all she had to go through to get there.

I think they were separated by that point anyway, possibly living in the same house but not together. I hope so anyway; I'd hate to think that she compromised herself by staying with him so she could be PM.

I also like to think that she made him her deputy against his will. Ultimate punishment for all his dastardly deeds: being so close to power but not actually having it.

SpanishFly Mon 13-May-13 23:16:43

rufus Subtitles are good opportunity to spot the typos and grammatical errors typed in by some idiot though.

What a horrible thing to say. Subtitles are LIFESAVERS to some people, and a few typos/grammatical errors are HUMAN when under pressure to do a job quickly. I'm willing to bet people who do the subtitles are working to targets etc. To be called an idiot due to a typo or two is fucking insulting to those who do them and those who rely on them.
And it's also safe to assume that they do a lot more than "typing"

kelda Tue 14-May-13 17:22:06

The actor who played the son - wasn't he the son in the Melissa George series, Hunted?

Disappointed by the last episode.

The whole Nanny subplot wasn't necessary, and only reinforced negetive stereotyping of nannies.

kelda Tue 14-May-13 17:23:05

Also thought the grandad was the best character in the series.

aren't a lot of subtitles done by voice recognition software? Rather than a person?

SpanishFly Wed 15-May-13 11:26:48

Yes but there's still a person repeating what the person says to create the subtitles, and they'll have to be synched tothe clip too.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Wed 15-May-13 14:54:53

ah no actually i watched the subtitles there too, some of them were utter nonsense. don't care if it's a hard job (and it isn't), whoever did this show wasn't vg.

SpanishFly Wed 15-May-13 15:22:58

Do you have examples?

SpanishFly Wed 15-May-13 15:39:52

Although to be fair, it was more rufus's sneering tone that irritated me rather than whether they were accurate or not.

SpanishFly Wed 15-May-13 15:40:39

And aitch do you KNOW that it isn't a hard job or are you guessing?

kelda Wed 15-May-13 15:51:56

Allowances can be made for live on air subtitling, but if the programme has been pre-recorded and has a relatively large budget, you would expect the subtitling to be completely correct.

SpanishFly Wed 15-May-13 16:01:09

Yep it should be pretty accurate, of course it should. And if it wasn't then that's not great.
But no human is 100% accurate in every piece of work they do so there will often be mistakes here and there. Loads of errors is not acceptable though. However the budget of the programme is irrelevant. Although some programmes will be deemed more important than others, they are working to very hard targets yet are expected to be precise too.

kelda Wed 15-May-13 16:04:20

'But no human is 100% accurate in every piece of work they do so there will often be mistakes here and there.'

Which is why everything should be proof read by someone else.

Poor subtitling is probably yet another example of budget cutting.

SpanishFly Wed 15-May-13 16:11:30

Precisely. But that's why I was riled by the assumption that it's "some idiot" doing it and that it's an "easy"job.
I know someone who does it, and it's not at all easy. Not to mention the horrible shifts etc.

SpanishFly Wed 15-May-13 16:12:15

And the proofing has to be done to ridiculous targets too, so mistakes are being missed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now