16 kids and counting tonight at 9

(285 Posts)
giraffesCantDateDucks Tue 05-Mar-13 19:15:19

I will be watching after I have done some work!

givemeaclue Thu 18-Apr-13 09:13:52

Just asking with them posting on this thread. They looked like a family who have a lot of fun together.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 17-Apr-13 19:22:53

freer family was the one where the dad gave up work to look after his kids

givemeaclue Wed 17-Apr-13 17:10:28

Which ones were the freer family?

givemeaclue Wed 17-Apr-13 17:09:47

In all the families the older ones are getting married or having babies quite young. Wonder if there is a connection. Go all the families the couple's have supportive relationshipq and seen happy.

givemeaclue Wed 17-Apr-13 17:05:35

Just caught up watching. I've stayed at the hotel where they renewed wedding vows, it is lovely!

clangermum Thu 11-Apr-13 18:26:08

I thought the programme makers were naughty mentioning about benefits, then not explaining until later that this was a recent thing and that it was done for very good reasons. (If I'm thinking of the right family, not on this week's episode?)

It's a fascinating programme but I think lots of people are aware how things get edited for effect. I'll miss it now it has ended though. Any plans for another series?

Garynkirsty Thu 11-Apr-13 16:05:11

Hello everyone it's the freer family just wanted to say thankyou to everyone that made nice comments about our family. I know there's been nasty ones but we was expecting that as to be fair a lot wasn't!5 explained and with only 20 minute air time a lot has to be squashed in

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 11-Apr-13 00:07:27

I watched last night

Was the renewal of vows and wedding

Wonders what it cost for it all

to take 20 people away so

flights

passports

Outfits for all kids and shoes

Villa

Obv Ceronemy

Prob not much change from £10k

Was a lovely renewal tho sue looked flustered having all in that room at hotel. Would have been easier for her to get ready at villa and males at hotel

She had an obvious strap mark sad (sorry for being picky)

Rem when I got married in the Caribbean and day before mine the bride and bridesmaid all had strapless dresses and all got burnt with strap marks

Can't believe they were that stupid

Also can't believe they left young kids alone in pool while adults and older kids inside hmm obv camera crew there

But lovely still together 20 yrs later smile

Other family

Omfg. Those 2 boys need a firm hand and telling off

Did wonder if eldest daughter decided to get married in a rush to escape the busy mad house

Met 4 weeks then engaged - married 5mths later to a bloke who was an only child

Didn't look totally in love to me tbh sad

AmberSocks Wed 10-Apr-13 21:32:32

oh yeah must be a repeat :-)

Meglet Wed 10-Apr-13 21:26:38

I saw it yesterday.

looking back at previous comments, both my dc's spit at me every so often. They get bollocked for it, they know they shouldn't do it ....... they do it again a few weeks later. And repeat. They'll grow out of it I hope.

AmberSocks Wed 10-Apr-13 21:16:12

anyone watching tonight?think its the last one.

FrillyMilly Thu 04-Apr-13 21:19:21

The one thing I noticed this week was the Hanns children saying they didn't mind more children and they had more love to give. They are the first ones I've noticed not saying anything negative about having lots of siblings or wishing their parents would stop.

With regard to money most of the families shown have older children so perhaps they are contributing too? I know my siblings and I had to pay keep to our mum once we were working.

girliefriend Thu 04-Apr-13 20:22:29

To those saying what should he have done when his son was spitting in his face. If my dd spat I would have gone mad at her, she would have been sat on the floor on time out and had to apologise. She has never done it but I would definitely have a zero tolerance approach to that.

He should have picked him up, firmly said, 'do not spit at me' and sat him on the floor facing a wall. The little boy thought it was a massive joke and the dad nothing about it.

nevergoogle Thu 04-Apr-13 19:02:30

I went to school with the Hann fathers younger siblings. There was lots of them too. All nice kids to be honest. Never spat at me once! grin

flootshoot Thu 04-Apr-13 15:57:07

Just my two penn'eth FWIW...

Radfords - seem lovely if bonkers (ironing? with 16 kids... really??), although some of the things the younger ones said were quite telling.

Salims - just horrible, that poor woman obviously expected so much more from life. Mr Salim is an idiot. I remember seeing them on TV a few years ago after their youngest was born and his attitude was awful. The midwive pretty much ordered him not to have any more for the sake of his wife's health and he poo-poohed her. I shall never forget him bursting into the bedroom, camera crew in tow, while his wife was clearly trying to hide from the chaos, in tears, face buried in the new baby. sad

Sullivans - something very Duggarish about them. Isolated kids, strict religion, homeschooling etc. (Obviously nowt worng with homeschooling but it seems they're using it as a way of keeping their kids away from others). Saw them on TV last year and they mentioned not believing in contraception - I was surpised more wasn't made of that this time, i.e. they're not choosing to have so many children as such, they're 'leaving it up to God'. RE: breastfeeding comments upthread, I wouldn't be surprised if Ma Sullivan was bottle-feeding expressed milk on the show - just looking at the way they dress I suspect modesty plays a big part (this is purely speculation on my part), and that might preclude her from breastfeeding on TV.

Quite liked the Lewises, again saw them on a previous prog and I remember Dad coming down the stairs after trying to get everyone ready to leave with an armful of confiscated hair-straighteners grin. Poor Chantelle though, she must've been terrified when her DD was born amidst all that drama.

Hanns - seemed nice enough although it's a pretty mad view on life to think that having another baby will 'get you back to normal' but to each their own I suppose. I wonder if Posy's worked out breastfeeding gives her time with mum she might not otherwise have...?

Haven't much to say about the others, here endeth the ramble! grin

alemci Thu 04-Apr-13 11:30:59

i must admit i did wonder how the Sunderland mum afforded to buy the takeaways and eat at the pub so frequently. what was the dad's job. also the sock thing. wasteful.

Did like both the families overall.

littlebitofthislittlebitofthat Thu 04-Apr-13 11:02:26

the thing that saddened me most was that I noticed the Salim children didn't get ready for bed... they just slept in the clothes they wore the day before... sad

I remember getting teased at that age.... those poor children sad

clangermum Thu 04-Apr-13 10:54:17

I wondered if they'd do more on behaviour, as there was a scene when one of the mormon children said they hadn't eaten out in 6 years. I was thinking it was probably because of cost but then she said it was because of x and y, naming two of the boys, but this wasn't followed up (other than that one of them had been shown spitting).

I can also see how this show has things massaged for effect, kind of, so it's really interesting that the pizza eating was a bit staged. They seem to pair the families very carefully, so this week we have one going to their favourite place, the pub over the road, while the other goes to the church over the road. One eats out a lot, one hasn't eaten out for 6 years.

I really liked both the families from this week.

The mum from Sunderland seemed lovely, yes the socks aspect might be a bit unnecessary but its her money, maybe she prefers to spend money on that than on other luxuries, same with eating out. She may keep other costs low and it didn't say how much extra she spends on food for when they don't eat out. The other family spent £230 and that apparently wouldn't last a week so probably more like £250 meaning around £1000 per month. £480 on takeaways and eating out, covering the majority of the most expensive meals (dinner or lunch), even if you take into consideration she has less children, she still has £4-500 to spend to exceed the other families costs. Good luck to her if she can being all that eating out in on budget.

I'm quite confused about the pearl clutching regarding 'nearly naked babies eating pizza off the floor'. They were sitting on the floor they weren't peeling scraps of the carpet. Plus at that age what is wrong with being in just a nappy? We have a large family and when there are extra children dinner is quite often served sitting on the floor there is no room at the table.

Other family seemed nice, spitting wasn't great but they seem to have raised multiple other children who aren't spitting so I don't imagine they need too much help with it. Looks like next week they talk about struggling with bad behaviour.

PearlyWhites Wed 03-Apr-13 22:03:31

Haha I don't think I am Wonder Woman it's very hard. but I doubt how severe her arthritis was if she can iron for four hours a day also the way she emptied the washing machine with ease.
Of course there will be people who need to give up work to care for a disabled spouse and dc's but I just don't buy it with that family.

lisad123everybodydancenow Wed 03-Apr-13 21:34:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AmberSocks Wed 03-Apr-13 20:23:39

people keep mentioning the spitting,what do you expect him to do?He told him no and moved his face away,my son went through a short phrase of doing that,although im guessing he was younger than that boy,and i used to say no,spitting is dirty and not kind, in a firm voice, and move him away from me,theres not much you can do,short of taping their mouth shut!

LegoAcupuncture Wed 03-Apr-13 20:19:41

Watched it this morning.

When the voice over was telling us what they earn ( works as x and get £x in child benefit), why are they missing out family tax credits? They can't be both over the threshold, especially the Sunderland family.

I liked the Dundee family, they seem very grounded, but was not impressed with the spitting. Parents do seem very calm with it all.

susiedaisy Wed 03-Apr-13 18:53:23

Just watching it now and I'm speechless at the Sunderland family that eat out and have takeaways so often, good lord !!!

AmberSocks Wed 03-Apr-13 18:44:57

the older ones in the scottish family didnt say they didnt want anymore babies,in fact,iirc,sock lady is the first oe where the kids have said no more-at least in such a direct way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now