Dreams Of A Life - Joyce Vincent - Channel 4

(149 Posts)
SoleSource England Thu 07-Feb-13 22:24:41

Are you watching?

What are your thoughts?

NightingalesOde Sat 09-Feb-13 00:50:54

Oh God, yes, the envy was palpable.The dour one in the coat and the one that vaguely looked like Vanessa Williams in the red jumper seemed to me like envy, she naturally attracted men and was enjoying being young, did she steal others' boyfriends? If she did nobody said that, her only crime seemed to be being very attractive. Other women can say such cruel things and that can make someone very sensitive dwell to the point of obsession on what has been said. Did their envy of her ease in attracting men encourage awful comments that pushed her further into depression?

Was the woman in the red jumper supposed to have been a friend? She didn't seem to speak of her fondly, she was rolling her eyes about something (will have to go back and see what it was). If Joyce had been a difficult character, it would have been an idea to have given an example of why she was hard work.

My friend said that the dour woman in the coat looked as though she could barely disguise her surprised glee at her lack of qualifications (I found the reading out of each low grade qualification both disrespectful and unnecessary). Joyce would have hated that.

Booyhoo Sat 09-Feb-13 00:56:28

is it possible to die from lack of life? sad

nightingale yes i agree with your first paragraph. looks fade and novelty wears off, you can move on to new audiences but the looks still go and soon you aren't a pretty, young free and single thing, you're a middle aged woman with crows feet and no support network of friends who are in the same boat as you have continuously moved on from them. no-one to open a bottle with and laugh about the times you used to have together.

Booyhoo Sat 09-Feb-13 00:59:41

nightingale is this the woman that was with the man who knew joyce aswell? i really didn't like the part when they heard she had been cleaning as opposed to a job in the city. they were laughing at the idea of her cleaning and mocking her, saying about her doing it all glammed up and in her dresses. i didn't find that funny at all. i actually didn't really understand why they were in the film. they didn't seem to know her that well. it was almost as if they took part out of nosiness.

NightingalesOde Sat 09-Feb-13 01:08:10

Booyhoo, that is it exactly, who were they to her? They could have just been market stall holders that she bought her oranges from for all anybody knew. Had she blanked him? Better that she had the self respect and courage to get herself out and work, it must have been very difficult for her.

Who was the bald headed guy with the radio presenter voice? Was he a DJ? I must have missed the very beginning where it was said.

SoggySummer Sat 09-Feb-13 01:14:12

It was very sad to watch. Really sticking with me.

I thought it was very sad that she had gone to the trouble to buy some people gifts for xmas and wrap them up but then no one noticed her absence for 3 years. Tragic sad

Booyhoo Sat 09-Feb-13 01:21:30

i think they were ex colleagues. they talked of her leaving party and how she said she was leaving to go travelling, i think in about 2001.

i think that guy was a DJ. definitely something in the music industry.

NightingalesOde Sat 09-Feb-13 01:25:41

It really was. Everyone seemed to assume that someone else was looking out for her and perhaps she gave the impression that she had a busy social life. I just don't understand how the tv was still on? The electricity company would have turned off her supply, wouldn't they?

NightingalesOde Sat 09-Feb-13 01:26:55

Aah, right, thanks for filling me in booyhoo.

DoctorAnge Sat 09-Feb-13 07:37:56

I thought the way they laughed at her cleaning job was awful. sad
She had dignity, and needed to work.

The more I think about this the more I think the abusive "polish boyfriend" may have been the tipping point that ruined her life.

SoleSource England Sat 09-Feb-13 10:24:47

Martin seemed to have cated. The othets were spiteful, nosy, jealous bastards.

Booyhoo Sat 09-Feb-13 11:13:08

Yes, I wonder if she knew people would laugh at the idea of her cleaning and that was part of why she hid it. Those weren't friends. Not at all.

SoleSource England Sat 09-Feb-13 11:36:37

I felt uncomforyable when watching those people. I am glad somebody else here said so first. Theymafe me feel as if they were tbere for the fame and SHE andHER were jealous of her.looks.

Booyhoo Sat 09-Feb-13 12:53:38

yes i felt the same. i actually thought they must have been school friends at first because they didn't seem 'attatched' to her emotionally. almost like they had come to a school reunion to find out how people had turned out. there didn't seem to be any upset to them by any of the revelations the researcher/interviewer told them. apart from them and the woman in the red jumper, everyone else seemed to talk fondly of her.

SoleSource England Sat 09-Feb-13 13:36:44

The makerof the film possibly wanted to show how uncaring tbey were.

R.I.P Joyce

Wonder if anybody was at her.funeral? sad

Booyhoo Sat 09-Feb-13 13:57:23

good question.

RIP Joyce

SoleSource England Sat 09-Feb-13 14:47:35

Her friends were surprised that.she 'ended up in social housing'.

No fucking wonder she.couldn't ask them for help.

noddyholder Sat 09-Feb-13 14:51:27

Do you think she wanted help though? I got the feeling she had re invented herself and her background education etc and she just wanted to keep moving on and not commit to a lifestyle. I thought all the friends seemed strange including the ex boyfriend I don't think anyone really 'knew' her at all.

SoleSource England Sat 09-Feb-13 14:55:10

Who kniws but they were a bunch of people that struck me to be unable to understand people from another social status.

Some of her isolation was by her own creation.

As is mibe

I cannot stand people loking down tbeir noses at me but I guess I am.guilty.of it also

Pride cones before a fall

SoleSource England Sat 09-Feb-13 15:04:49

The television was tuned to BBC1.

I am trying to find details about her funeral. Nothing so far..

SoleSource England Sat 09-Feb-13 20:22:21

The last time she was spotted was in2002. Maybe she just wanted some time on ger own to gather strength, find out what her next move would be. Natural causes got her.

Booyhoo Sun 10-Feb-13 13:32:21

i was thinking more about this last night.

she had to eat, i'm guessing she shopped near to where she lived. did none of the shop staff recognise her when the news came out about her body being found? even if she didn't buy newspapers or clothes or get her hair done, she had to eat. she was in a council house and not working when she died (i assume as no-one reported her missing from work) so i doubt she was having takeaway delivered everyday. i know she lived in a busy shopping area but surely staff would have begun to recognise a face coming in every week, even if she didn't chat (which would surprise me as she seemed very chatty)

SoleSource England Sun 10-Feb-13 13:39:54

Yep I thought the same thing. Very. Strange.

Booyhoo

Do you think Joyce left relationships because things were awkward between them therefore people didn't feel able to cobtact her again and vice versa?

CountTurdula Sun 10-Feb-13 13:54:41

The woman in red was no friend. The way she spoke about Martin was disgusting. (I'm paraphrasing here but the gist is obvious) "We thought she'd get with someone gorgeous, hunky, successful, black etc etc but looks weren't important to Joyce. We were shocked to meet Martin..." She must have known he'd watch it too? hmm

I was saddened when the party thrown for her 21st consisted of Martin's friends. People she didn't really know.

I know the girl who played Joyce. She was my sister's housemate at uni in Manchester. Stunning girl.

SoleSource England Sun 10-Feb-13 14:03:10

The actress is stunning.

There was racism. People saying she needed a real Black man. My ex is Black I wouldn't call that a real.man!!

Booyhoo Sun 10-Feb-13 14:08:36

yes sole

i was also wondering if she may have 'manufactured' some of the awkwardness in order to create space for herself. i say this becasue i know that at times when i have been very low and my home has been really bad i have intentionally been closed off from friends so as to avoid having to turn them away at the door. that sounds awful and i know i was a bad friend but at those times i really couldn't cope with them seeing how bad i had let things get. still no-one knows how bad i was and that is because i purposelly withdrew contact, avoided answering the phone, made up excuses not to meet up etc. i know one friend was really hurt by this and confused becasue as far as she knew everything was the same as it always had been and she took it personally (as anybody would) that i didn't want her around for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now