The Secret of Crickley Hall

(546 Posts)

Did anyone else watch this? Thoroughly creeped out.

ToffeeCaramel Tue 27-Nov-12 22:07:26

Will Nancy really not be in the last episode? I find it odd that she would just not be in it any more when she is such a central character.

Got it now, can't wait to read it now.

MrsMushroom Tue 27-Nov-12 22:12:51

Blondes she might if she was also abused by the bad teacher....she was young and did her best to stand up to them but we saw the authorities not help her. She took the kids away and they were brought back by the police.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 27-Nov-12 22:14:59

I'm hoping nancy isn't dead as only found clothes no bones in well

'Hopeful emotion'

MrsMushroom Tue 27-Nov-12 22:20:04

Ah! Well if that's the case then you can guarantee that she IS alive. Writers never put in details like that without bloody good cause to!

MrsMushroom Tue 27-Nov-12 22:21:59

I reckon she's living down there...or hidden in the grounds...and that she has got Cameron...that her mind is unhinged and she thinks he's her lost little German boy.

I also think that Percy KNOWS she's there...and that is the reason he took the dog...because her arm is like that because she was bitten by a dog and is terrified of them!

He is protecting her.

What do you think??

PrincessSymbian Tue 27-Nov-12 22:28:19

It could be plausible, Mrs Mushroom. I have no idea what's going to happen next but will be watching it next week. I was watching a Spanish film on BBC iplayer, a couple of weeks ago, 'The Devils Backbone', very similar themes but much, much scarier!

MrsMushroom Tue 27-Nov-12 22:35:58

Her arm DOES look bitten no? Kind of links to dog.

PrincessSymbian Tue 27-Nov-12 22:40:19

So the blow to the head/oxygen deprivation makes her go funny in the head?
Don't quite know how she would have got Cam though?

Weren't people saying Nancy was surprisingly upset when she saw Stefan had been caned? Perhaps she is his mother.

I wonder if one of Eve's parents was in the orphanage (Stefan?) and that's why she dreamed about it even before Cam went missing.

MrsMushroom Tue 27-Nov-12 23:19:01

Princess I would have thought the trauma of her childhood and of her experiences in the school would be enough to make her lose her mind.

Cam and her...there are a lot of references to "We'll send those kids back to London if you don't keep your nose out...then they will all die in the bombings"

She could have gone to London to look for the little boy...something triggered her...and then she saw Cam on the swings and thought he was her little one.

colleysmill Tue 27-Nov-12 23:29:25

Oh that's interesting I had just assumed Nancy had an Erbs palsy or monoplegia not an acquired injury from abuse at her orphanage sad

I have say I am sincerely glad corporal punishment is no more - just the sound of that cane is terrifying (dh agrees although he only ever got it once at school)

MrsMushroom Tue 27-Nov-12 23:38:05

It looked damaged to me...did you see it colley? It was very scarred.

colleysmill Tue 27-Nov-12 23:40:02

Only partially from behind the cushion I was hiding behind!

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 27-Nov-12 23:57:43

Oh mrs mushroom - I like your theory !!!

And yes arm could have been mauled by a dog .......

MrsMushroom Tue 27-Nov-12 23:59:21

It does link in with the dog being taken by Percy doesn't it? And with the fact that her bones weren't found....so she MUST be alive. And she's got Cam.

SoupDragon Wed 28-Nov-12 07:16:18

Didn't they say there was an underground river though and that's what the well connected to? Bones could have been washed away.

Furball Wed 28-Nov-12 07:19:06

I was speaking to my dad yesterday about it. He said that when he was at school (he's 80) the cane was a regular thing.

He said he got it once because he said 'pick me miss' when he put his hand up to answer a question as the teacher had said 5 mins before no speaking when you put your hand up - I didn't ask him how old he was at the time but I assume it was in junior school shock

He said thats just how it was in those days. sad

SoupDragon Wed 28-Nov-12 07:20:50

They still had the "slipper" when I was at primary school in the 70s. At least that's what the rumours were - I was a well behaved child so never experienced it first hand.

diddl Germany Wed 28-Nov-12 07:53:38

Me too, Soup

I didn´t ever get it, but saw a boy getting it.

I have a feeling it was only "allowed" for boys.

SoupDragon Wed 28-Nov-12 08:03:18

No one seemed scared of it though - it was almost a badge of honour hmm

MrsMushroom Wed 28-Nov-12 08:11:48

Soup they wouldn't bother mentioning that there were no bones found if it wasn't a key part of the story-line. It's one of the first rules of fiction and of exposing the story as you go.

They don't have a long time to tell a tale on TV...so every line matters and is there for a reason. When it's information like that, it's always relevant.

They had the cane at dh's school in the seventies.

They had the Slipper at my Primary school in 1978. The headmaster used to walk around school on one of his 'patrols' with it behind his back. I think he only ever used it about once. The psychological threat was enough.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 28-Nov-12 09:39:27

They had the slipper at my school in the seventies too - for boys and girls. My friend got the slipper for being cheeky in class and she came back in tears.

My mum told me she was sent to the headmaster at her school to be caned once (1940s), because she had been given three detentions in one week. The headmaster refused to cane her because she was a girl, but clearly her teacher didn't have a problem with that. She said punishment was rife in her school and they were all terrified of the teachers. Brutal.

SoupDragon Wed 28-Nov-12 09:48:37

I think my mother's school used a ruler

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now