The Honourable Thread of Downton Abbey - The Third

(610 Posts)
Moln Fri 19-Oct-12 19:34:18

Who filled up the last thread? Hmm?

All I wanted to say was Jonathan Rhys Meyers?

No!! I don't like him and he's a pants actor.

diddl Fri 30-Nov-12 11:49:13

Just read in DMonline blush that DS is likely to do series 4.

So maybe that´ll be the last one?

Mary´ll have a boy, marriage for Edith, Lady Violet dies?

ripsishere Wed 28-Nov-12 05:53:15

smile and nod in agreement at JF ruining it.
DD is of the opinion that the housekeeper, whose name I forget and the butler will end up married, having children hmm and owning a guest house in the village.
She is 11 and has no concept of menopause clearly.

diddl Tue 27-Nov-12 13:28:20

I don´t see how him leaving could ruin it-JF seems to have done well enough on that score!

squoosh Tue 27-Nov-12 13:12:30

I don't like Matthew and don't think DS is any great shakes as an actor but I do think he'd be a fool not to take advantages of whatever offers are being made to him. Better to leave while the show is still a hit rather than hanging on till it finishes with a whimper.

diddl Tue 27-Nov-12 13:08:52

Well I won´t be surprised if he does leave.

His character is a boring wimp now-no wonder he wants out.

But I guess Mary will be pregnant with an heir, so who needs him anyway??

I enjoyed the first series, but the characters are ridiculous now.

Mary a spoilt nag, Robert a pathetic, bumbling, pompous twat.

The only ones I find interesting are Edith & Isobel.

And JF seems to hate Edith!

LadyHarrietdeSpook Tue 27-Nov-12 09:41:47

I had one last thought.

I mean - after series one Dan Stevens was already always going to be: That Guy Who Played MC on Downton.

If he goes, he's just going to be That Guy Who Played MC and Ruined Downton when he left.

ripsishere Tue 27-Nov-12 01:50:03

Interesting idea. I think Tom will go off with Daisy since she will be the new farmer and hid GF was a sheep farmer.

LadyHarrietdeSpook Tue 27-Nov-12 01:42:11

I've re-watched the whole series with a friend from the US. I was underwhelmed as it was going on, but for me it makes a huge difference to watch it virtually continuously...the individual episodes can be a bit meh in parts, but taken as a whole it comes together nicely.

I think it's a really strong series actually..! (Yikes and prepares to be flamed!) Much better than series two which seems like a panto in comparison. However, the Bates jail scenes still make no more sense.

"Do you know what's actually happening? What are they saying" Yank friend.

"No idea."

Now, Dan Stevens. Very big for his boots these days, isn't he? My friend is from New York too and apparently the Heiress isn't all that at all, accd to her.

I hope that JF comes up with an even better looking, sexier heir. What will Isobel do though?? Forget about Mary, Matthew's woman number one will be at a loose end!

I've got Mary and Tom running off together.

diddl Mon 26-Nov-12 07:45:25

Some more time with the staff might be more interesting as the upstairs lot do fuck all.

Just noticed my typo in ppblushgrin

ripsishere Mon 26-Nov-12 07:21:47

But was she saved in time? could she have had carnal knowledge of the cad before Super Matt flew in to save her.
I'm on a roll now. Shirley Macleaine was so miscast. She has had so much work done, I almost didn't recognize her.
Still adore Daisy and Mrs Patmore. I did read that there is possibly a romance for Mrs P in the next series. I hope so.

diddl Mon 26-Nov-12 07:06:48

M&M were so boring.

Pretty predictable angst about about a baby & both being seen & treated if necessary!

Mind you, if DS leaves, that gives JF the chance to get the "oik" out of the way & have Downton staying in Aristocratic handshmm

Can´t see why the tedious pair got so much air time tbhh & nothong for the Lady Edith character.

& then the ridiculous 5 mins of Rose having an affair-oh wait, she´s been saved just in time!

ripsishere Mon 26-Nov-12 06:36:52

Found you. We watched it, as a family we were hugely disappointed in this series. It was a characature. Bates and Anna were tedious, Tom was a drip - how can a freedom fighting upper class twit hater agree to live amongst his enemies? Cousin Isobel still needs a kick in the fanny and Mary's acting was atrocious.
Very envy about missing Alan Carr and Thomas.

diddl Sun 25-Nov-12 19:50:54

Ooh great!

I hope Mary has a boy, & then the other heir returns & marries Edith!

CaroleService Sun 25-Nov-12 14:26:40

Shooting accident, I reckon - they'll have to gone to Scotland for the season

MrsjREwing Sun 25-Nov-12 14:22:35

Lady M will have a baby boy or a new cousin will marry Edith in S6.

squoosh Sun 25-Nov-12 13:52:29

I'm bloody delighted!

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 25-Nov-12 13:40:55

OOh. Dan Stevens is not in all of S4...linky but will be in Xmas spesh, and maybe 1st ep of S4.

How will Matty die? Will Lady Mary pass on syphilis? Will Lord 6 stab him to death in a row over the estate? And more importantly, what info will he leave in his letter-from-the-grave that he will have to secrete somewhere, as is the DA rule?

ScorpionQueen Mon 12-Nov-12 09:51:26

Last night was rubbish. I didn't know what to do with myself. Have added the boxsets to my Christmas list. I miss Downton!

ppeatfruit Wed 07-Nov-12 10:56:34

I googled it Pooka 'tis very funny thanks.

Pooka Wed 07-Nov-12 08:10:46

Don't know how to link to you tube, but go on and search "the boyfriends guide to downton abbey". There's one for season one as well as season two and its brill.

ppeatfruit Wed 07-Nov-12 07:43:53

grin Moin I love this whole show actually i don't care about improbablities etc. life is usually stranger than fiction anyway. I met 4 english speaking french friends yesterday (i live between Fr. and U.K.) and they ALL watch on stream (i don't know the technicalities) and love it too I was surprised but very pleased smile.

Moln Tue 06-Nov-12 23:45:51

Ah yes, hormone treatment. There may be a flaw in my solution...

tribpot Tue 06-Nov-12 21:12:29

Well, Matthew, as long as Lord 6 continues to grace us with his tweedy presence.

Animation Tue 06-Nov-12 20:18:49

Who is heir at the moment?

diddl Tue 06-Nov-12 19:58:56

Well it couldn´t be heir, which is all they seem to be bothered about...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now