Duke of Edinburgh, should my DD's backpack really weigh this much?

(35 Posts)
LaineyW Thu 08-May-08 09:43:58

My DD (15) is doing her practice expedition this coming weekend for her Bronze award. We've packed the rucksack ready (including tent/sleeping bag/food etc) but it weighs an absolute ton. I can hardly lift it and she is quite small.

She's splitting the tent - ie. she'll take the shell and her friend will take the other bits.

What happens if she simply can't manage the walk? (they're doing about 13 miles over two days in 25C of heat....) God help her!

TwllBach Sun 05-May-13 10:42:33

I loved doing the D of E, it is one of my all time favourite memories. I remember trying to pick up my bag and then wearing it when we had all gathered at the meeting place for an introductory lecture sort f thing, and being terrified because I was literally shaking with the weight of it and was sure I wouldn't be able to do it. After a while, though, you sort your posture out so it actually begins to feel quite light, if you see what I mean.

I'm jealous of all those doing it now, I would love to go back and do it again.

TheWave Sun 05-May-13 17:36:44

I was just wondering if LaineyW's DD went on to do gold and go trekking at university in the end as it is 5 years down the line!

Loshad Wed 08-May-13 00:07:52

What always amazes me is how 13 miles over 2 days is thought of as a lot hmm you would walk further shopping tbh
my ds4 was walking 18 miles at age 6, albeit with no kit, but easily does 10 miles + with scouts at age 11 with kit for expedition. DS3 was quite disdainful of his bronze expedition due to the short distance.
Gold is another matter though.

Whatalotofpiffle Wed 08-May-13 00:16:09

Mine had to be 1/4 of my body weight, so at 16 was 2 stone

Isthiscorrect England Fri 10-May-13 05:21:08

Lol ds is off to the atlas mountains to do his gold in 1 month. Weight limit for the plane is 20kg so I not sure he will be able to take quite as much stuff as others suggest ;-) we have a pre emotive strike when everyone has to take their rucksacks a few days before and get the contents checked. It will be interesting as they are supposed to be taking books and pencils etc for the village they are staying at when it's over. Not sur how they will get fitted in. But their menu is lots of veg and couscous.
I hope he has as good a time as I did.

whois Sat 11-May-13 23:10:00

Aw everyone ways takes too much stuff for bronze! Saw loads of people out and about for bronze last weekend all doing an awful lot of standing around map reading and not a whole lot of walking.

Before our practice the other two girls and I in the tent got together to dole out rent and cooking equipment. Two of us actually took some of the other girls stuff as her pack was redic heavy. Until Sunday afternoon when I saw her drinking a can of come, the stupid bint 'didn't like' water so had bought 8 cans of coke hidden in the bottom of her rucksack! Didn't have her in our group for the real

Isthiscorrect England Thu 16-May-13 16:27:15

Whois looking back for you that's hilarious. I hope you told everyone else when they were choosing groups. Omg I nearly spluttered my wine. I can't even begin to think how mad I would have been. Wanders off shaking head ...........

Fannyadams13 Sun 07-Jul-13 23:39:50

Bit new to all this but here goes!
I do a lot with the D of E er's and one of the biggest thing is the weight of the things they turn up with.
Always look for the lightest alternative.Instead of a knife,fork,spoon(KFS)
out of the kitchen drawer you can get something called a Spork which is a combination of all 3 and made from lightweight plastic and weighs a fraction of the weight. You can get these off the Internet or any camping shop.its all the small little things that add up.
Unfortunately there is a minimum amount of kit they do have to carry and there's no real way round it but cutting down weight is the number one priority.Last one for tonight is a stuff sack which tend to come with most of the modern sleeping bags now anyway but these are ideal for reducing the size of the sleeping bags and creates more room in the rucksack which is another battle you've constantly got,lack of space in the rucksack.Anyway hope that's been of some use, if you need to know anything else just do a post thing so everyone can see it(Sorry for rambling on..no pun intended !)

Isthiscorrect England Mon 08-Jul-13 14:44:34

Ds just back from his DofE gold expedition in Morocco. His pack weighed 11kgs. They did buy food from villages daily, carried 2l of water a time. Tent & stove were extra weight, but teams of 2 shared, 1 had tent and 1 had stove, then swapped the next day. He gave his boots to a homeless man as they were starting to come apart. Left his sleeping mat with the family of their guide. They had hot and cold weather clothes. He had a spork, a shammy towel, leaves of soap paper. He also tells me they cooked rice in their thermos flask by adding the boiling water at breakfast and it was cooked by lunch. I think I'd need to see that in practice before I ate it.

TeenAndTween Mon 08-Jul-13 21:52:20

DD1 has just signed up for next term. She is not very tall so these tips are great, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now