What age do you think is a suitable age to wear makeup?

(17 Posts)
Dreamgirls234 Tue 12-Aug-14 12:16:15

Reason I ask is just seen a little girl probably 7/8 maybe 9 wearing bright orange blusher blue mascara and a little belly top..is this really what peer pessure is doing to our children?
My dd didn't wear makeup until 14 and she's 16 next month...even at 14 it was only mascara and bb cream nothing bold.. Apart form when she was younger and did plays and wore stage makeup but she's only really just gotten 'into makeup'
What age did your teens start wearing makeup?

fieldfare Tue 12-Aug-14 12:24:57

My dd is 11, nearly 12 and occasionally wears make up when we're going out or has a party etc. Although she's got summer school today and they're film making so she put a smidge on as she'll be on camera.
One of her friends wears more than me on a daily basis - foundation eye shadow, thick sweeping eyeliner and loads of mascara.

They're growing up too soon! I don't remember wearing make up every day til I was about 15 ish.

Dreamgirls234 Tue 12-Aug-14 15:45:04

My dd had mascara's and the odd bit and bat of eyeshadow's at 12 but tended not to wear it daily-too much hassle at her age.. But now she's 15 she won't leave the house without wearing it

Bookmonster345 Tue 12-Aug-14 16:32:45

My dd is 12 and three quarters, and she wears make up almost every day, but only mascara as she has very light eyelashes and she thinks it looks as though she has no eyelashes, if she doesn't wear mascara. If she is going somewhere special then she might wear a little lipgloss.

ElephantsNeverForgive Tue 12-Aug-14 16:43:01

Any age for dressing up, school plays or dance shoes.

9/10 for fun, if they happen to be plaing I wouldn't make them wash it off to go shopping. They might put a bit on for a school disco or dressed up psrty.

11 for going out.

Never for school (well that's what the rules say).

DD2(13) does put on a bit. Dd1(16) prefers sleep.

Both agree that the orange panda look is bad!

ElephantsNeverForgive Tue 12-Aug-14 16:43:21

Shows

Dreamgirls234 Tue 12-Aug-14 18:05:30

It's dreadful! Fair enough allow them to wear makeup if that's your parenting thing but at least teach them the basics of subtle makeup and what colours they should wear...I think there's nothing wrong in wearing makeup as dress up or plays but to wear on outings then no..I think 12+ is a sensible age to start with the basics

Cocolepew Tue 12-Aug-14 18:09:36

DD is 12 and wears BB cream or foubdationito cover her spots, mascara on non school days. DD1 is 16 and has never worn it.

Mrsjayy Wed 13-Aug-14 11:39:41

Peer pressure is doing nothing to our children parents are letting girls wear make up I dont think an 8yr old should be wearing full make up but her parent obviously thinks it is fine. My dds were about 13 but dont wear a lot dd1 is 21 and hardly wears any

Mrsjayy Wed 13-Aug-14 11:41:05

Dd2 wears foundation to school or powder and make up if she is going out she is 16.

loudarts Wed 13-Aug-14 11:43:09

My dd (7) is already asking when she can wear makeup, I've told her she can have some when she is a teenager, so 13.

Mrsjayy Wed 13-Aug-14 11:51:51

Dd2 had lipgloss at 8 was really flavoured lip salve she liked to play with it and would wear lipgloss to school disco

Theas18 Fri 15-Aug-14 00:03:00

Dunno. Toy stuff / glitter at primary moving onto clear mascara/ neutral stuff at 11 ish I guess.

I'd only worry if make up is become a mask to hide behind or big piece of their self worth/ fitting in with the crowd.

As it is the 15yr olds wears a fair bit to school ( none allowed till year 10) but it's very neutral/ well applied mineral stuff and she uses it as as she's had awful acne ( finally subsiding) . I suspect she's worn bb cream and powder to school well before " allowed" but as she works hard and behaves, no one has ( sensibly ) chosen to make it a big thing.

The 21yr old wears a bit.

Op cross that bridge when you come to it, for your kids. Save the judgy pants for important stuff.

Maybe it's the amazing benefit of hindsight. But I'm aware it's another phase to be guided through with little fuss. Small stuff, don't sweat it.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 15-Aug-14 00:11:30

I had to walk dd through the centre of town a bit like that when taking her to panto (we had to deliver them to stage door already made up!

She's 12 almost 13 now & I let her wear lip gloss & sparkly eye shadow but the foundation, mascara etc is strictly stage only.

Hulababy Fri 15-Aug-14 03:04:06

Dd is 12 (in y7) and wears a small Amount of makeup for parties or a night out. She doesn't wear makeup for school or day to day. She's been allowed a bit of sparkly lip gloss and eye shadow for a few years for parties; now she's a bit older it is a lot more subtle.

I'm happy for a bit of proper make up for going out in an evening now she's at secondary school.

Floop Fri 15-Aug-14 03:55:11

When they can go shopping alone to buy it.

Dreamgirls234 Fri 15-Aug-14 22:23:24

I think once they hit secondary school subtle makeup is acceptable. I allowed my dd to wear makeup from
13+ but she never got interested into makeup till
14 really and only wore the odd bit of mascara in year7+8 to try to fit in with the other girls
theas
I'm confused by what you said : '
Op cross that bridge when you come to it, for your kids. Save the judgy pants for important stuff.' Can you explain?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now