My kids are 11 and 13. In 10 years time what will I wish I'd done more/less of?

(55 Posts)
quandry Tue 04-Jun-13 22:09:57

With my youngest about to start senior school in September, I'm suddenly feeling a bit sad that the 'little children' days are over. There are all sorts of things that I wish I'd done more of, or done differently.

I just wondered what those 'things' will be in the next 10 years?
By the time they've grown up and left home, what will I wish we'd done more of while they were still here, even as grumpy teenagers?

I's really appreciate the collective Mumsnet benefit of experience and hindsight smile...
If you're past this stage, please give me your advice!

bellabom Tue 20-Aug-13 19:26:15

I'm a bit of a fraud on this thread as I only have one 14 year old and she is step, however, time with her has taught me a lot about things I want to do more of with my DD (7) before it's too late.

Things like telling her she's beautiful and talking about things that she should be proud of, telling her how clever she is and how special. Teenage girls (in particular it seems although boys in differnet ways) have some much horrible self image crushing stuff thrown at them these days.

Reading the rest with interest. And yes, I understand about the stars.

primroseyellow Tue 20-Aug-13 22:51:08

After difficult times with DC1 and other circumstances we stopped having family holidays. I wish I'd continued them with just us (DH and me) and DC2. I also wish I'd made more effort to engage both in conversation as teenagers, despite the difficulties and all the rudeness. Looking back it seems that we spent too much time in evenings different rooms ignoring each other. It did give them space but I think i should have made more effort.

sussexmum38 Wed 21-Aug-13 06:48:38

Remember and photograph family day trips and doing stuff on holiday together that they are genuinely happy to be there with you.

Hilarious. Just reading through this thread and found I had posted on it ages ago!

I am still jealous of the beach.

Preferthedogtothekids Sat 24-Aug-13 22:00:36

Take them to Disneyland! My kids are 14 and 16 now, but we had a fabulous long weekend there when they were 5 and 7. I loved every minute of it, they loved every minute of it - it was magical!

They barely remember it now sad, especially the my DD who was only 5. I want to take them again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now