If you have had your colours done...

(9 Posts)
Procrastinatia Mon 07-Nov-16 20:06:11

How many colours do you habitually wear?

Not all at once, I mean. I have figured out which colours suit me and I tend to switch between 3 main colours on my top half. I also have way too many items of clothing and I am trying to cut down. I have noticed people are starting to comment on my only wearing these colours. It's as though i only have 3 tops, although in reality I have loads. It is really stopping me from throwing out a lot of my clothes, because I am beginning to feel self-conscious about not having much variety.

I have been reading a lot about minimalism and a lot of the people who truly have a capsule wardrobe seem to have mainly black and white. I can't do that without looking like a corpse. I need a bit of colour!

Do you ever get any comments about wearing the same old thing, because you have found the colours that suit you?

I'm thinking now that the colours I wear are so distinctive that I need to go back to wearing colours that don't suit me to show that I'm not wearing the same top every day.

Yika Mon 07-Nov-16 20:11:46

I had my colours done and I have many colours in my range (I'm a deep brown summer). I wear loads of different colours.

Have you actually had your colours done or have you just figured out by yourself which are your best colours. I found getting the colours done actually allowed me to wear a wider range of colour because I could do so confidently - I'd never have worn yellow before for example because I didn't think it suited me but now I have several tops in 'my' yellow and I wear some unexpected colours too. I also feel confident wearing very bright colours to work because I know they are in my range and give me the 'wow' factor - I have a red which I know makes me look different (better) so I wheel it out every so often. Usually wear more muted colours to work.

I love my colour swatch and always take it shopping smile

Procrastinatia Mon 07-Nov-16 20:17:40

I haven't had them done because the nearest person who does it lives over 4 hours from me and it would involve 2 overnights, childcare and so on. I know it is supposed to save you money but it would need to save me a LOT! I have made do with a book! There are more colours I could be wearing but some of them I don't like, and some of them wouldn't go with the items in my wardrobe, which cancels out the point of trying to be minimal.

Duchessofealing Mon 07-Nov-16 20:25:30

I've had mine done recently and there are colours that I would never have touched before (that I still don't feel drawn to in shops) but that when they are on look amazing. Getting them done has cost me a fortune because now I can't stop shopping for my new colours that work on me!
In my defence, I am a winter so all my colours are in the shops right now. Do it OP - I couldn't recommend it more smile

Yika Mon 07-Nov-16 20:28:45

Oh that's offputting. I wonder if you could justify it by combining with a longer trip at some point? I found it so worthwhile and was so impressed with the colour session that I went back for the style advice. Doesn't only save money but saves loads of time shopping. I can pick out things that will suit me a mile off and can be out of a shop in under a minute if I can't see anything that would suit me in a quick scan round. And I have so much more confidence in my clothes.

One tip from my colour session was that everyone can wear pure red - so if that's not in your wardrobe now you could mix it in.

FrustratedFrugal Mon 07-Nov-16 20:32:41

Do you vary your silhouette? If it's sweater and skinnies, and if you buy the same shapes over and over, everything will look a bit samey.

I've had my colors done, but have veered a bit off. I normally wear neutrals - charcoal gray, olive green, denim blue, navy, taupe and soft white items. Sometimes bright blue, green, burgundy, purple, red, pink and black (supposedly no-no but I still love black). My clothes are not monotonous as the shapes and silhouettes vary a lot (this week, I've worn a sweater dress, a miniskirt with a scarf draped over my shoulders, and slim-cut chinos with a chunky knit sweater).

The "core" of my outfits is usually fairly dull (a gray tee with black, gray or navy trousers) but I have lots of jackets that vary in color, pattern and shape. I also own quite a few fairly distinctive coats. One of my winter coats is calf length with a camouflage pattern - another is short and streamlined but bright pink, and a third one is made of charcoal gray mohair. I find that if I vary my jackets and coats, everything else can stay the same.

RaisingSteam Tue 08-Nov-16 18:50:54

I tried to work out my own colours and had it wrong for 20 years.
In the Hoc system there are about 30 colours each season so you will find some new ones to try. For me it has added to repertoire and certainly saved money on mistakes.

yomellamoHelly Tue 08-Nov-16 19:18:25

I've followed the Zyla approach. So have 3 base colours (smart, smartish and casual) and then mix my "true colours" to brighten it up. (So my version of red, skin colour, colour of veins in wrist, and lightest and darkest colour in my eyes.) Had my colours "done" before that but still felt overwhelmed by the decisions and really wasn't sure looked that much better. Feel right in my skin now. Still lots of clothes, but am forming ideas about what I will replace as it wears out and what I will do without in future.

Chewbecca Tue 08-Nov-16 19:22:23

I have had them done at HoC and no, it hasn't restricted me, except for dumping the black. I can wear almost every colour, it is just a matter of getting the right shade of it, I need deep, cool and muted. I tend to wear blues and pinks/burgundies but am also good with greys, the right shade if green and many more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now