Dry flaky scalp needs help

(8 Posts)
SnowBallsAreHere Sat 05-Nov-16 22:08:06

I'm so pissed off with it.

It's been like this for the last 18 months-3 years, not really getting better.

It's beyond dandruff, I have mild psoriasis & eczema, elsewhere on my body too.

Drs have given me betnovate scalp lotion which stings horribly and makes it worse. I moisturise with cetraben or dermol, use hydrocortisone ointment, wash my hair with t-gel or a similar coal tar green one need to check label. I've tried the loreal men's orange dandruff shampoo that's often recommended on here.

Cream makes it better, briefly. Any of the shampoos or water make it worse, but I need to wash my hair.

What else can I try?

joangray38 Sat 05-Nov-16 22:17:43

I use bioagave shampoo conditioner and hair oil. I have psoriasis on my scalp (huge chunks of white) which is exacerbated by stress and long term medication and illness . I was told to keep my scalp moisturised - use a hair oil, wash my hair at least twice a week to keep it moisturised as well and only use sulphate free shampoo and conditioner . I also use a scalp exfoliator from sanctury once a month. My scalp is so much better but if I stop my routine and my scalp dries out I notice a massive difference.

joangray38 Sat 05-Nov-16 22:28:30

Also never use a hairdryer on the top of your head, if you have long hair it is okay to use on the length but only a low or don't use near your scalp as this can dry your scalp out- this made a massive difference to me . I went back to using my dryer and I could tell within 2 days o had dried my scalp out as the psoriasis as back with avengance !

MeadowHay Sat 05-Nov-16 22:34:48

I have eczema on my scalp too. It mostly stays in check just by using anti-dandruff shampoo - that is any shampoo with zinc pyrithione in it. But if I do have a flare up (which only happens once a year or so really), then I step up to Oilatum shampoo which you can get prescribed or buy OTC. If this still doesn't calm it then my next step up is Polytar (again you can get it prescribed or OTC) and after a course of that it always gets sorted. Then I go back to my usual anti-dandruff shampoo - I used to use Head and Shoulders but now I use Superdrug's own brand as the ingredient that matters is the zinc and it's a lot cheaper than H+S.

BeeMyBaby Sat 05-Nov-16 22:46:28

I have sebhoreatic dermatitis (sp?) and my scalp becomes horrendously itchy, red, flaky, if I use any standard shampoo. I tried aloe Vera which relieved the itch but was messy, I tried brags cider vinegar which helped but smells baaaad, and now I'm using an anti fungal shampoo once a week and capasal shampoo every day both prescribed by the gp and it's working well so if you think you might have that, I really recommend these 2 products.

Bedsheets4knickers Sat 05-Nov-16 22:50:40

Coconut oil . Applied every night . Worked into the scalp . You will need to wash hair every morning but it should sort it x

zzzzz Sat 05-Nov-16 23:04:36

Capasal shampoo wink GP put me on to it. It smells horrible but works after 2/3 applications.

SnowBallsAreHere Sat 05-Nov-16 23:20:36

Thanks for your replies

I've checked my bathroom cabinet & see I have tried alphonsyl, nizoral & polytar. I've been alternating these when it gets worse.

Yes, I have notice stress makes it considerably worse & have reduced that a lot.

Just fed up with being flaky, thinning hair, I've lost atleast 1/2 my hair in the last 2 years, and feeling paranoid in dark coloured clothes.

So, on to my new shopping list;

joan do you have a link for the bioagave?

superdrug zinc dandruff shampoo
Capasal
Coconut oil

And no hair dryer on my scalp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now