Does anyone just buy one expensive thing a month rather than lots of cheap things?

(29 Posts)
WavingNotDrowning Wed 07-Sep-16 11:22:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hopefully Wed 07-Sep-16 11:48:34

I sort of do this. I don't have a massive wardrobe (so things actually get worn out), so I still need to keep it ticking over with cheaper basics, but at the minute I am trying to divide up my month between one investment item every month or two and a couple of cheaper items, with the aim of building up a decent wardrobe of lovely quality things that i will wear and keep forever. My list currently includes new leather leggings (old ones are too big and have been a real staple for me), ankle boots, OTK boots, a non waterproof and a waterproof coat, jeans and some cashmere knitwear. In between times I'll stock up on H&M or similar t-shirts, layering tops, thermals, jeans etc so my wardrobe doesn't actually run down totally, which I have suffered before when buying too little.

Didiusfalco Wed 07-Sep-16 11:54:55

I buy one cheap item a month - does that count? smile

If you love buying clothes would you get as much pleasure from just choosing one item? Presumably if you don't need any more clothes then a lot of the fun is in the choosing?

Also, how fashion conscious are you? If you like to keep up I would think spending £300 on one item would be pointless, because you wouldn't get enough wear out of it, but also that would depend on whether or not £300 is a lot of money to you?

CoolToned Wed 07-Sep-16 11:57:35

I'm thinking of doing this. Actually I am thinking of saving all the money I'd usually spend and then buy one designer bag after maybe a year or so.

onlywhenyouleave Wed 07-Sep-16 12:00:37

Funnily enough, I am thinking of doing this - I spend far too much on crap stuff that I don't need and never wear blush

I have seen some gorgeous winter boots that would be £140 which is far more than I would normally spend on anything but I can easily spend that much in a month on rubbish stuff. I just need to get over the barrier of thinking £140 is a lot of money for one item hmm

botemp Wed 07-Sep-16 12:22:58

Sort of, but I'll buy necessary items whenever. So if a white shirt or a pair of jeans really needs to go and it was an integral part of my wardrobe it gets replaced and I usually don't spend all that much on it. Cos or H&M usually. I don't buy an expensive thing every month though, I just put away a certain amount of money (do this for various things) and usually end up spending quite a lot in one go during the sales season (winter more so than summer). It is dictated by need though, I don't set out to buy a black bag when I have one already but if I find myself thinking often enough that a tan bag would be a useful addition I'll start looking for that.

If I see something I like it goes on a wish list, if it goes on sale and I still want it I'll buy it then. More often than not I don't want it by the time it goes on sale as I get unnaturally attached to my built up savings. All that non spending makes you rather picky about what you spend it on.

Definitely look for Acne boots in the sales, I'll attest they're worth the money as they definitely wear well but I often see them discounted at 50-70%. A standard 40% on their own website at the start of sales if you're looking for the more popular models, I think Morgan Clare might have a few still for peanuts if they're your size. Yoox and the Outnet usually have a bunch for half price or less as well year round, it's just a matter of getting the right size/colour/model combo and seizing them when you can (a nice little reserve helps with this grin).

JamieLannistersFuckButler Wed 07-Sep-16 12:23:37

onlywhenyouleave
If you'll wear the boots A LOT, that's not expensive for decent boots.

In about 1993 I spent £179 on some over-the-knee boots, and I was a very poor student at the time. But I knew I would wear them a great deal. I wore them nearly every day in autumn, winter and spring for 2 years, so they were a great buy.

WavingNotDrowning Wed 07-Sep-16 13:06:13

botemp Wed 07-Sep-16 13:27:37

Ooh I've been eyeing the Jensen ones too, they were on sale in a beige/sand colour this summer but I really want them in dark blue or black which might be harder to get with a discount but not impossible. Did find them discounted in black but unfortunately no longer in my size but I think I'll manage to this winter as more e-tailers have them and two shops have them. They're €450 here, I'll get them if I see them at 30% off and consider it a good deal.

MadisonMontgomery Wed 07-Sep-16 13:32:53

I do this. I tend to prefer more classic pieces - so it makes more sense to buy better quality items so I don't have to replace them as frequently.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 07-Sep-16 13:46:35

I try to do this.

In terms of stilettos - I would really recommend the Jimmy Choo romy - a very comfortable heel.

blueshoes Wed 07-Sep-16 16:05:04

I do most of my clothes shopping online. I only keep things I really really like and return those that are ok but don't quite make the grade. These could be pricey or less so. Depends on which sites I happen to be on. The speny ones I only check during sale time!

I will spend money to alter clothes to fit to perfection and add that to the cost of the item.

Shoes are the one thing I don't tend to stint on. They are generally LK Bennett, particularly for my stilettos, as they fit my narrow feet well. It is easy to destroy your feet with poor fitting shoes, which is not a good idea.

rubybleu Wed 07-Sep-16 16:57:45

I have exactly the same approach as blueshoes

I maintain I actually keep the cost of clothing myself down by only shopping online. I buy loads in sales periods and keep the good stuff.

WavingNotDrowning Wed 07-Sep-16 17:19:40

wheatchief Wed 07-Sep-16 18:28:39

Blueshoes can you give me a rough idea of what the alterations cost you?

I'm trying to do this. I've not been very happy with how I look for a long time and have been avoiding buying much or only buying cheap crap. I've realised that's not the solution though, I've big boobs and short legs and cheap crappy clothing does nothing to flatter those things so I'm looking to spend more than I used to on decent stuff and possibly get it altered. You can get cheap gems, and I have a few, but it's rare.

RebelandaStunner Wed 07-Sep-16 18:41:24

Sometimes I do and sometimes I may only buy 2-3 things on a shopping trip that I only go on a few times a year. I bought nothing in the whole of August and still have about £70 of my birthday money left from a while ago because I would rather wait until I see something I really want.
I used to buy loads but am a 'less is more' shopper nowadays. I wouldn't spend £300 on one item personally, you can still get decent stuff for a lot less, though I definitely avoid the really cheap end stuff.

WavingNotDrowning Wed 07-Sep-16 18:56:25

Floisme Wed 07-Sep-16 19:07:27

Sometimes but not as much as I used to. I'm quite disillusioned with 'buy less, buy better'. I think it was true until about 10 years ago but since then quality everywhere has fallen off a cliff.

Also my body and looks are changing as I get older and some so-called investment buys just don't suit me any more or have dated.

I'll still pay for things I'm going to wear heavily over a short space of time e.g spec, coats, some knitwear, T shirts. For lots of other stuff, I've gone back to cheap and cheerful. I don't like fast fashion ethics but I don't see the point either of shelling out for things that won't last or might not suit me in 5 years time,

WavingNotDrowning Wed 07-Sep-16 20:19:27

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 07-Sep-16 20:44:40

I don't think it is really possible to buy things that last forever if you actually really like fashion. Everything dates in my opinion.

But I do prefer to buy 'better' as prefer natural fibres etc. And have been ruthlessly de-cluttering recently as moving out of our house for a while whilst it is renovated and it is interesting that very little from the high street has made the cut to stay.

And disposing of all that disposable fashion is really quite sick making.

WavingNotDrowning Wed 07-Sep-16 20:50:19

rubybleu Wed 07-Sep-16 20:59:01

But surely you can get 3-5 years out of a single key piece.

I have Duo boots on their 6th winter this year, a quilted jacket (Ralph Lauren) on its 5th winter. An Aquascutum rain coat on about its seventh year. Certain stuff does last well.

None has aged, but I dress well rather than aiming for up to the minute fashion. I don't expect any of them to remain current for 10+ years but on a cost per wear basis they're doing well. If you are aiming for "investment" surely that's as good as it gets?

WavingNotDrowning Wed 07-Sep-16 21:07:00

puglife15 Wed 07-Sep-16 21:15:32

I try only to buy something if I prefer it to a comparable favourite item in my wardrobe, regardless of price (but I tend to shop high street).

So I'll only buy a work dress if I definitely like it more (and it suits me more) than my favourite work dress, for example.

If I'm replacing a favourite item that's threadbare, stained etc, then I'll try to find something I like just as much, which can be a challenge.

I know if I've not worn it or don't desperately want to wear it within a day or two, it needs to be returned.

The only exceptions are charity shop purchases. But I probanly spend £10 a month max on those and it's for a good cause.

Hopefully Wed 07-Sep-16 21:16:18

I agree that getting 10+ years out of something is fairly optimistic, but I do expect my investment pieces to last a good 3-5 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now