Fancy a challenge? Help me to find an outfit for a night out!

(22 Posts)
Honeymoonmummy Wed 31-Aug-16 21:22:39

Hi all,

Haven't tried using S&B like this before so bear with me, I'll try not to drip feed.

I am in my early 40s, lost a lot of weight recently but still borderline overweight with most of my weight on my tummy (think muffin top!!). I have a very rare but special night out that I want to dress to impress for (naice wine bar with dress code "smart casual") and looking for something to wear but I am really fussy (see below!)

I am 5ft 9 and size 20 which excludes some shops already. The main criteria are:
- it has to be quite cool - I'm going to be in a packed pub/club and hate getting too hot
- it has to have sleeves or be wearable with some sort of cropped cardigan thing (I have plenty of those) - i have horrible upper arms
- nothing too low cut on the cleavage
- nothing which clings to my tummy
- I have decent legs, most of my height is in my legs (just as you were thinking it was a hopeless cause)!
- I wear black 80% of the time but look good in any shade of blue and peach (shoulder length straight blonde hair, blue eyes), look awful in yellow or white and large prints don't suit me
- I want to look classy but sexyish (not sure that's possible for me!!!)

Am currently thinking either a top with a short black skirt and leggings (I have the latter two and they look slimming) or a dress.

I realise this is a big ask but I'm struggling to find anything so will try anything!! I can be fairly flexible on budget (but rarely spend a lot on clothes!)

Thanks in advance. smile

Honeymoonmummy Wed 31-Aug-16 21:29:37

Just found this which I like and I think would suit me but I'm worried that lots of slimmer other people will be wearing the same style, this style is around a lot at the moment isn't it?

Honeymoonmummy Wed 31-Aug-16 21:30:15

Link would help!!

**DP Curve Black and Cobalt Lace Pencil dress

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/dp-curve-black-and-cobalt-lace-pencil-dress-5836358

Summer23 Wed 31-Aug-16 22:03:32

That's lovely, go for it smile

Honeymoonmummy Wed 31-Aug-16 23:07:56

I've ordered it, but just in case has anyone got any other ideas?

KARMAisaBtch Thu 01-Sep-16 07:26:22

How about this?

Next has added new clothing range and sale items from Boohoo.

They also have £20 off when you spend £50 online.

Let me know if you want a voucher code.

FauxFox Thu 01-Sep-16 07:35:12

Love your find OP - hope you like it when it arrives. There are lots of nice dresses on ASOS in the Curve range too so might be worth having a browse there too smile

Honeymoonmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 11:23:52

Karma, I wouldn't get away with that with my tummy - thanks anyway smile

Honeymoonmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 11:25:02

I did look on Asos but not specifically Curve, will have another look. I've tried Monsoon, Debenhams, DP, very, simply be, Asos, think that's it!!

Honeymoonmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 12:01:17

M and S and Next now done sad

Fingermoose Thu 01-Sep-16 12:26:01

Have a look at Studio 8 - this dress is pretty and this dress too. There are loads of others on there that are sleeveless if you already have a cover up you're happy with.

Honeymoonmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 12:40:23

Just ordered this top from John Lewis - https://m.johnlewis.com/windsmoor-cutout-detail-top/p/2717618

Honeymoonmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 12:41:53

Will look at Studio 8 fingermoose, thanks

Mooey89 Thu 01-Sep-16 12:49:00

I absolutely love Yours clothing for plus size wear. I recon a skater dress is your friend.

Really like your find.

Honeymoonmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 12:55:36

Just found this http://www.ist-track.com/ProcessClick.ashx?companyId=17910aed-1bae-4362-9580-b523eb87a91e&itemId=xxiqtxrapp&bid=t which may actually change my life [tad overdramatic] has anyone seen these before, are they widely available, can I get it cheaper elsewhere??

Honeymoonmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 12:56:36

Oh yes Mooey, I've already done Yours, forgot that one!

Mooey89 Thu 01-Sep-16 13:30:03

www.yoursclothing.co.uk/scarlett-jo-blue-jersey-midi-dress-with-knot-front-detail-p

I have this and it is hands down the most flattering dress I have ever owned.

Mooey89 Thu 01-Sep-16 13:30:34

Scarlet and Jo in general are so flattering.

Honeymoonmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 14:16:44

Ooh I like that Mooey! I saw it and liked it but was worried it would look lumpy and bumpy from the back?

Mooey89 Thu 01-Sep-16 16:01:09

I am 5"10 and a size 20, and I find it smoothed everything out, lovely length for legs out, really flattering. I have it in Navy. It's quite heavy material though so don't know how cool it will be!

Honeymoonmummy Thu 01-Sep-16 18:03:31

I don't know what colour to order!!

Mooey89 Thu 01-Sep-16 19:31:53

All of them! I saw a woman in the bright one and it was lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now