Business capsule wardrobe

(14 Posts)
Socialaddict Thu 28-Jul-16 18:42:32

Can you help me create a capsule wardrobe for work for the Autumn/winter season. I'd like smart mid-range (price wise) clothes. What would you buy?

Pisssssedofff Thu 28-Jul-16 19:10:11

Jacket, skirt, trousers and dress in the same fabric. Whistles, jigsaw.

Joneseygirl77 Thu 28-Jul-16 21:02:03

I tend to have the base of the same fabric suit as pisssedoff said but I also have some Zara colour Blazers which I interchange my trousers/skirt/dress with. Also buy silk tops/shirts that can be worn with all items. I find Reiss, Jigsaw and Banana Republic good for work bits.

PhyllisWig Thu 28-Jul-16 21:27:33

I'm working on one at the moment. I've been reading a few blogs and like the idea of buying in 3s. So 3 skirts, 3 trousers, 3 dresses, 3 jackets with 12 tops (t shirts, shirts, knitwear, vests) then 3 sets of shoes/boots. The plan is for one jacket/trousers/dress/skirt to be a suit because I do have some occasions where I need to be the business end of business casual.
I'm looking at Boden/Hobbs/jaeger/John Lewis but in the sale or outlet shops as much as possible.
Am planning on 2 neutral colours, 2 accent colours and ivory.
As you can tell I'm enjoying this. So far I have a coat.......

KeepOnPlodding Thu 28-Jul-16 21:49:49

Mine is very boring...

Black trousers, black skirt, black dress, a couple of black tops
Navy trousers, navy dress, navy top
Beige/mink blouse and top
Red jacket, beige/mink jacket, black jacket (makes a suit with black skirt)
2 or 3 patterned dresses (worn with one of the jackets)
Couple of scarves and some jewellery.

Rough maths is that's at least 20 different combinations.

Pisssssedofff Thu 28-Jul-16 22:00:01

I've gone navy, red, teal and stone, I probably look like I work for an airline but oh well

rubybleu Thu 28-Jul-16 22:23:46

I effectively have a capsule wardrobe. I wear dresses, nearly all pencil shape as it suits me the most. All are either navy or work with a navy toned jacket. I've got five jackets, either blazer or collarless, that work with the dresses. Makes dressing for a smart office very easy!

stiffstink Thu 28-Jul-16 23:14:30

I have about 8 dresses, mainly black but with colour/patterns. I usually go without a jacket if I'm just at my desk and grab my generic black jacket if I have a meeting.

That ^^ is a very discreet placemark in the hope of livening things up.

CalleighDoodle Thu 28-Jul-16 23:18:02

I need a new work wardrobe ao following with interest. Are we allowed to add images / links?

Itscurtainsforyou Fri 29-Jul-16 08:41:58

I need ideas too!

I've thought about having a "work uniform" to make life easier, so have a couple of white shirts and a pale blue shirt, I have a brown blazer and a navy blazer but then I'm stuck!

I don't do skirts but may do dresses at a push. So far in my head, I need:

- brown trousers
- navy trousers
- some smart tops other than shirts above
- dress in brown

I do have two navy dresses (one shirt dress) that will probably fit the bill.

I have shoes in brown and in black - can I wear black shoes with navy? I really struggle for comfy shoes so have no hope of getting some in navy! I also have brown knee boots I'm hoping to wear with dresses.

I also have a couple of nice work bags in brown and grey/blue.

Is there anything else I need to think about?

Socialaddict Fri 29-Jul-16 09:10:17

Great ideas, thank you for all your suggestions! Links/pictures are most welcome of course. I'll make a shopping list and shall hit the shops smile. Really like the idea about buying in 3s, sounds super and definitely will create lots of combinations.
I like navy, beige, black and usually buy these colours for work but now shall start adding some accent colours too. This should liven things a bit.

RebelandaStunner Fri 29-Jul-16 09:22:10

White and pale blue shirts
Navy Wool pencil skirt
Grey/white pencil skirt
Black trousers
Dark grey dress
Summer dresses several- navy, grey, black, white.

Reading that back it sounds a bit like a school uniform!

Jaeger, Hobbs, M&S mainly.

RebelandaStunner Fri 29-Jul-16 09:26:24

Oh and short cardigans in dark and light grey, navy, blue.

Socialaddict Fri 29-Jul-16 10:42:18

Haha rebel it does sound like school uniform indeed. I think the trick is the clothes to be of decent quality so they do not look cheap and tacky after a couple of washes. Good colour choices though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now