What am I supposed to put on my face after oil cleanser?

(9 Posts)
MeadowHay Sat 19-Mar-16 16:31:59

Someone on here reccommended the body shop's cammomile oil cleanser, so I've got that and started using it on a night, and then rinsing it off. I would say my skin strangely feels very slightly tight and dry after that. Am I supposed to moisturise after? Use a toner? Skincare baffles me...for background, I have very sensitive skin, my t-zone gets super greasy, and I have mild acne.

CiderwithBuda Sat 19-Mar-16 17:53:50

I use that too. If I've had make up on I cleanse twice - using clean white flannels rinsedout in hot water.

I use a toner after. Usually Pixi Glow but once ir twice a week I use something stronger.

I then use a serum and a moisturiser or an oil.

How old are you?

LikeSilver Sat 19-Mar-16 17:58:13

My skin doesn't seem to like toners. In the morning I use cleanser, serum, moisturiser, sunscreen. At night I double cleanse (I use the oil cleanser for a first cleanse) and then serum and moisturiser.

DameXanaduBramble Sat 19-Mar-16 18:01:37

I use nip and fab acid toner pads after a balm cleanse. Then serum, oil and moisturiser. I sue a hot cloth wrung out to get the balm off, perhaps this would be a good step to introduce if you don't get on with cleanser?

MeadowHay Sat 19-Mar-16 22:39:49

Hmm, maybe I need to get some flannels to help me remove it then. I'm 22. What is a serum actually for?

LikeSilver Sun 20-Mar-16 09:18:58

Serum works on a deeper level than a moisturiser. If you want to try a serum, look for one with antioxidants (vitamin C, green tea, and resveratrol) and ingredients like retinol and niacinamide. A serum will 'lock in' their benefits before the emmolient effects of the moisturiser. I hope that makes sense grin

LikeSilver Sun 20-Mar-16 09:19:48

Also - IKEA do cheap flannels or a set of muslin cloths.

CiderwithBuda Sun 20-Mar-16 09:47:12

Sorry I didn't get back to this yesterday.

A basic routine is cleanse, tone and moisturise. You can add in extras like serums and eye creams. The most important anti-aging thing you can do for your skin is use sunscreen so a moisturiser for day time with an SPF would be good. You would then need a separate night moisturiser without SPF for night time.

You can use a moisturiser without SPF and then use it both morning and evening but get a facial sunscreen and use that over your moisturiser during the day.

The Body Shop do some nice skincare. Also Boots - the No 7 range is good. And a Superdrug range gets good reviews on here too.

I bought 10 white flannels from Primark. I use, hang in bathroom to dry and wash with towels.

I use two cleansers. The chamomile oil first and then either a balm (which is a bit thick) or a cleansing lotion. If I have a lot if eye make up on I take that off with eye make up remover and a cotton pad first.

Toner is up to you. Some people swear by it others don't. Toners have changed in the last few years and it's now a step I do. You will hear about acid toning. It's a toner that helps exfoliate. There are lots recommended. I'm currently using Pixi Glow Tonic. It's ok but am not planning on replacing it. Instead of toners some people use pads - Nip & fab do some - you can get them in Boots. I would start slowly with those in case your skin reacts.

Serums didn't exist when I was your age. They have been around for a few years now and add an extra level. They help your moisturiser to work better.

Given your age and the fact you are just starting I would maybe go to Boots or Superdrug or the Body Shop and have a look. You can sometimes buy trial sizes of various ranges which helps. I think ranges like The Sanctuary (in Boots) sell a pack with e basics in.

It can be confusing and a minefield and very expensive so start slowly. My mother was an Avon lady when I was young and was really into skincare and make up so I started young!

Melbournemel Sun 20-Mar-16 10:48:06

I have very sensitive skin so don't use toners. I cleanse with coconut oil, massage it in, leave it a minute or 2, wipe off thoroughly with a wet hot flannel and then moisturise straight away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now