Hair intervention please.

(15 Posts)
ElphabaTheGreen Sun 21-Jun-15 10:54:47

Here it is in its dragged-backwards-through-a-hedge glory. It holds any style very well, but I have less than zero time to be messing with hairdryer, curlers or straighteners (don't own any of the above anyway). I have to have it pulled right back for work, and wearing it loose drives me a bit bonkers, partly as I have two very small DC who need to pull on it constantly if it's loose. I've had shorter hair in the past which makes me look like a dandelion.

I've just taken this photo - I washed and conditioned last night then scrunched through a curling mousse as approximations of curls seem to be its natural tendency. This morning I didn't brush - just loosely ran fingers through to get out the worst tangles then clipped back.

The general consensus I've got from threads from people with similar hair is that I shouldn't brush (it does tend to just go completely frizzy/static if I do) and use paraben/silicone-free shampoo and conditioner. It's almost impossible to find silicone-free conditioner under £10...should I just not use conditioner? Or something?

Help.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 21-Jun-15 10:59:49

I'd use conditioner, mousse drys my hair out and I've got dead straight hair.

I'd be tempted to try coconut oil on it as a pre wash conditioner or almond oil under a shower cap over night then dab it dry with a towel and leave it to dry.

Dent's do (or used to do) saw cut combs so there's no seam of plastic to catch on the hair. I dont use a brush either.

TheGoodGoodOldDays Sun 21-Jun-15 16:10:47

Tressemme Naturals is silicon free I think.

TheCowThatLaughs Sun 21-Jun-15 16:15:18

Treseme naturals is definitely silicone free and often on offer and in massive bottles

Have you considered not using shampoo, just conditioner? I have straight hair & only use conditioner most of the time, I only was it with a natural shampoo bar occasionally, apparently this is even more helpful for natural curly types. You do need to stick with the silicone & SLS/SLES free stuff though. Which costs more, but it's better for curly hair. It's called the no poo method or the curly girl method.

Meant to say, I only wash it with a natural shampoo bar occasionally

AMcoffeeLover Sun 21-Jun-15 17:12:43

Jasons are free from all bad things and not overly expensive

My local health food shop stocks a selection of shampoo & conditioner without silicones, parabens or sulfates, and also animal friendly! AFAI can remember, JASON, and Suma were two of the brands that had a number of products with no nasties in. I've also read good things about Aubrey Organics but it's a bit pricey. Body Shop banana conditioner is also silicone free, no parabens.

PetiteBateau Sun 21-Jun-15 19:37:13

There are usually reasonably priced paraben & silicone free products in tk maxx

ElphabaTheGreen Sun 21-Jun-15 20:59:31

What's the theory behind the no shampoo? It makes my scalp itch slightly just thinking about it, but if it gives me defined, trouble-free curls, I shall consider it.

AMcoffeeLover Sun 21-Jun-15 21:17:50

The idea being your hair will care for itself. But it takes approx 8 weeks to start working. A friend tried it but gave up after 4 Weeks due to the smell and feeling of horrendously oily hair. I don't know anyone who's made it to the end......the smell is bad, like bad feel crossed with fish........

AMcoffeeLover Sun 21-Jun-15 21:18:19

Feet not feel lol

TheCowThatLaughs Sun 21-Jun-15 21:31:07

You can use conditioner as if it was shampoo. Your hair still gets clean and smells nice, but it doesn't dry it out

AMcoffeeLover Mon 22-Jun-15 10:14:41

I think it very much depends on your hair. there is a Mexican girl that I work who I've just spoken to who had amazing hair and hasn't "washed" it in over 2 years. She uses a balm cleanser when she needs it (every 2/3 weeks)
But I know more people who have struggled without shampoo

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 22-Jun-15 12:16:50

You're really selling it there, coffeelover wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now