Help me pick my wedding dress that isn't a wedding dress...

(33 Posts)
Nowaysis Fri 01-Aug-14 18:52:35

I'm bored of being asked "have you got your dress yet" and seriously think I'm missing the bride gene as I can't seem to get excited by it.

I've also just read a thread about how much people spent on their wedding dress and people seem to be able get them so cheap, I must be doing something wrong.

I've tried a fair few wedding dresses but nothing is doing it for me really.

The only one I do like is a ridiculous price (Jenny Packham) but at £3k it isn't going to happen.

I'm hoping come the end of the wedding season I could potentially pick a JP one up 2nd hand.

Whilst these lovely white strapless dresses look fantastic on other people, I want something a bit different - like a wedding dress that isn't one.

Strapless looks crap on me
As does halterneck
High neck looks good.

I'm broad shouldered, size 12 and tall (5'10 or maybe 5'11)

Not sure on short but then I wouldn't rule it out as I do like my legs.

Any ideas? Less than £800 budget

I like the look of this

This

LizardBreath Fri 01-Aug-14 19:03:37

Have you like at the jenny packham cruise collection? Still ££££ though!

Have you tried any jp ones on? Word from the wise if not-don't!!! They will ruin you for all future dresses! Some people hire them out, you might struggle height wise on second hand / hire though. I'm 5'7 and plan to wear 3'' heels and am also struggling...

Nowaysis Fri 01-Aug-14 19:07:04

I like that Phase Eight one, wouldn't have thought to look on there.

LizardBreath Fri 01-Aug-14 19:07:28

Love the sceond one from remus, I was all set on phase 8 until I tried on jp. Will definitely go and have a look at that though.

Ps sorry for total hijack nowaysis

I've just bought mine from phase eight. I got the hermoine one and I love it smile have a look on their website you can get them cheaper second hand too...

Nowaysis Fri 01-Aug-14 19:10:54

Yes lizard I've tried JP on and they were amazing, exquisite even; so I think you are spot on about it ruining all other future dresses confused

I brought the JP Elizabeth (2012 I think) and it's too small and too short; even to alter, would be a nightmare and it's still quite traditional.

The JP Esme (my link) fitted like a glove but £££

MrsLettuce Fri 01-Aug-14 19:14:06

I like the utter simplicity of this. This is a bit batty but I like it a lot.

MrsLettuce Fri 01-Aug-14 19:14:51

Oh, I missed your link - that's exquisite.

Nowaysis Fri 01-Aug-14 19:15:43

Spotty your dress is beautiful, I like that too.

Lizard not high jacking at all grin we have similar tastes. I feel like I've disregarded high street as it doesn't normally fit right at the best of times (due to height)

Nowaysis Fri 01-Aug-14 19:17:48

I like that mrslettuce I'm on my phone so can't enlarge it. Not sure if I'd be too hot - I sweat a lot in short sleeves! But it is beautiful.

LizardBreath Fri 01-Aug-14 19:19:26

Esme / eden / florence all fitted me perfectly they are were like no other dress Ive seen in my life, the detail is stunning, I could have just about afforded one but we are now also buying a house before wedding which obviously get £ priority. Unfortunately all other dresses just do not compete! When is the wedding? Could you sell the Elizabeth (also beautiful) to put some towards?

I'm seriously thinking of buying on 0% credit card and then selling on! Resale of eden seems to be about 2500 for the those that haven't had as much chopped off length. The shop by me has 10% designer discount days - can you see how much I'm justifying it?!

MrsLettuce Fri 01-Aug-14 19:21:13

Has this been linked yet? More your bag than what I posted before I saw you'd linked to the esme dress.

MrsLettuce Fri 01-Aug-14 19:22:02

x posts

I'd imagine the ghost dress would be quite cool actually

AnnabelleDarling Fri 01-Aug-14 19:23:50

Have a look at J Crew, they do lovely wedding dresses

AnnabelleDarling Fri 01-Aug-14 19:25:30

Also bhldn.com, owned by Anthropologie, gorgeous dresses at around your budget

FlossyMoo Fri 01-Aug-14 19:28:24
herecomesthsun Fri 01-Aug-14 19:34:52
Nowaysis Fri 01-Aug-14 19:36:17

Mrs Lettuce - I like that too (and FlossyMoo linked it too). I think I need to try on that one and the Ghost one. I hate clothes shopping at the best of times so could do with checking if there are free returns so I can try on in the comfort of my home!

Lizard - exactly the same, I loved the Eden and the (JP Tilly) too.

MrsLettuce Fri 01-Aug-14 19:37:38

Ghost do a whole load of dresses that are along those lines. Well worth a good nose if it appeals.

Onelittlepiglet Fri 01-Aug-14 19:38:09

There are two lovely ones here in tkmaxx but only in size 10 although might be worth trying? One of them is less fitted than the other so it might not make two much difference.

Onelittlepiglet Fri 01-Aug-14 19:38:33

Oops cross post!

Nowaysis Fri 01-Aug-14 19:39:29

Anna - thanks for those sites, just found this Think it might be a bit too much though, do like it, very different

Nowaysis Fri 01-Aug-14 19:46:06

And now this one from the same site (bhpdn.com)

Nowaysis Fri 01-Aug-14 19:56:07

I have found another one now, this is kind of what I had in mind when I first got engaged, something simple but different to a normal wedding dress - J Crew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now