going to a wedding in Italy in mid-May - dress me?

(5 Posts)
Burren Wed 23-Apr-14 13:59:42

Advice sought - I am attending a smart wedding in the Abruzzo in May, and have nothing to wear. Your challenge is this:

I live in the middle of nowhere, with limited childcare and no car, so purchases will probably have to be online.

I am a post-baby size eighteen, and very self-conscious about it. Large breasts and don't ever wear sleeveless clothes.

I can't wear heels, so whatever is proposed will have to be wearable with flats.

I really dislike dressing up, and feeling in any way constrained, and I will have a toddler with me at the wedding, so no point in anything too elaborate/easily creased etc.

(To give you some idea of my usual style, at the last wedding I attended, I wore and grey and black linen long dress with an umbrella hem and a thin black cardigan over it.)

Apatite1 Wed 23-Apr-14 14:26:01

Long Grecian style gown springs to mind, not white of course!

Like this, gold jewellery, hair loosely up, flat braided sandals?

www.johnlewis.com/somerset-by-alice-temperley-jersey-grecian-dress-red/p975210?s_afcid=af_79682&awc=1203_1398259511_d7012c7d4abae263d897611c28ddc5cd

EatSleepRaveRepeat Wed 23-Apr-14 14:37:59
FauxFox Wed 23-Apr-14 14:43:44
Burren Wed 23-Apr-14 19:43:42

Faux, several of those are lovely, but I don't think any of them are wearable with flats, really..? Feel free to disagree - as I know nothing about clothes and resent any occasion I can't attend in jeans (in fact I wore jeans to my own wedding...) - but I think knee-length dresses look weird and stumpy without heels.

That Alice Temperley dress is beautiful, as is the blue long dress EatSleep suggested, but I have a horrible feeling either would make me look like a sack of spuds with a string round the middle... I just feel lumpen at the moment, and though I have plans to do something about it, I'm at the end of a book and won't get far between now and the wedding...

Thanks Faux, Eat and Apatite - any further thoughts from anyone welcome. Budget is no problem, as the one thing about being a writer living in the sticks with a small child, is that I don't make any impulse purchases...

Recommendations for beautiful flat shoes or sandals that would work well with a long dress also welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now