What one thing has made the biggest difference to how you feel about yourself?

(141 Posts)
Coveredinweetabix Tue 22-Apr-14 14:35:20

I am feeling particularly haggard today as too much cake and chocolate over the Easter weekend has left me spotted and bloated and DS has been up umpteen times in the past few nights with his teeth so I look really tired. I also haven't managed to fit in any exercise for the past month and feel a lot less toned.
I've been making lots of promises to myself today about exercising every day, taking make up off properly every night (which would involve bothering to put make up on every day), drinking more water, eating better etc but, realistically, they are not all going to happen. I've even considered that oil pulling thing.
So, what one thing has made the biggest difference do you think to how you look or feel about yourself. I day dream about daily personal training sessions but they're out on both cost and time grounds.

EasterSundaySimmons Tue 22-Apr-14 14:44:55

You don't need a personal trainer.

Brisk walk for an hour a day and exercise portion control over your food.

The one thing that makes the most difference to how I feel is my skin. If my skin looks good, I feel good.

Redcoats Tue 22-Apr-14 14:45:08

Being thin. I've lost 20lbs since Xmas and I'm probably at my pre-wedding weight 10 years ago.
It's really shallow, but I'm delighted with myself.

On the downside, without my extra fat my stomach is awful and saggy. And I've had one too many DIY haircuts and I need a proper haircut.

TheAwfulDaughter Tue 22-Apr-14 14:50:33

Nice matching shampoo and conditioner, and lovely shower gels. A very little thing, but I love everyday luxuries like that. Always makes me happy when I get a whiff of my hair and skin and I smell gorgeous.

Drinking 2 litres of water a day also makes me feel great after three days of doing it, much lighter and healthier.

Polished nails and toes. Matching. Always.

Custardo Tue 22-Apr-14 14:52:06

me too re: weightloss

lifes still shit, but now im thin and its shit

Lipstick - It's taken me until aged 44 to find a brand I like and want to keep wearing.

Hopefully Tue 22-Apr-14 14:56:00

Cutting down sugar/drinking more water.

Getting my colours and style analysed.

Two things but they both make so much difference to me!

sillymillyb Tue 22-Apr-14 14:56:43

Fake tan... Not the orange stuff, but the subtle glow that stops me looking like a zombie.

Though to be honest, I think the weight loss one is more effective - but far too much effort for me right now!

Redcoats Tue 22-Apr-14 15:01:24

Oh yes, I like having a tan as well. And when my nails are all the same length.

So basically, being thin, with a tan and having a manicure. Im goin to have read some worthy novels to counter balance my shallowness.

Spending ££ on some dental work (not pampering in the least but an investment)

Discovering that my painful, bloaty, sore back, stabby pains actually had a reason and I wasn't imagining it.
Once it's sorted , I aim to buy some really good jeans, not Tesco £10 bootcuts,

SirChenjin Tue 22-Apr-14 15:05:54

Lipstick, my heated eyelash curlers and my Babyliss big hair plus serum. Oh, and enough sleep - but that's v hard when you have young children, I know..

Oooh yes, after years of searching and wasting money, finding the red lipstick for me in a nice container too.
(It's an M&S Autograph in Mulberry, I can't wear a true red)

nethunsreject Tue 22-Apr-14 15:09:23

Wine. Till it wears off anyway.

AnyFucker Tue 22-Apr-14 15:10:18

Having done lots of hill walking in the fresh air over the Easter weekend. I feel fit and happy in my skin.

Oh, and pale pastel tangerine nail varnish smile

Twinklestein Tue 22-Apr-14 15:26:47

I agree staying slim and exercising is probably the best tonic.

You don't need a trainer, I've got a treadmill and an exercise bike.

And good makeup.

lurkingaround Tue 22-Apr-14 15:30:20

I too have eaten mucho mucho crap over the weekend and I feel shit for it. Biggest difference to feeling well for me is to eat well, plenty of veg, and not eating after 7pm. I sleep much better. But in the throes of babyhood this is v difficult to do.

Looks wise I think a good haircut, eyebrows done, being not too fat.

jan2014 Tue 22-Apr-14 15:31:14

hmmm... gaining weight for me probably helped me feel a lot better, i was underweight before. i look so much better now and feel confident, though still really want to tone. weight loss is over rated.

also, learning how to do good good make up.

MoreSkyThanWeNeed Tue 22-Apr-14 15:31:28

Taking time to do my hair makes a big difference to how I feel.
I've gotten into the habit of doing my hair while DS naps and I feel more 'me' - despite the dark eye circles and holey jeans - at least my head looks ok.
I aim to work my way down - by the time DS is 15, my feet will look shit hot.

MrsLettuce Tue 22-Apr-14 15:32:43

Being tattooed

lurkingaround Tue 22-Apr-14 15:32:49

Ooh just see SirChenjin, heated eyelash curlers?? Who knew. Where'd you buy? Yy I could google...

Staying away from mirrors helps wink

BikeRunSki Tue 22-Apr-14 15:39:48

Loosing 3 stone
Running regularly. I've got young, a job and an hour's commute each way, and sometimes it's late when I go out, but I go out at least three times a week. I notice it - physically and mentally - if I don't. I didn't get out til 9.30pm a couple of days ago - was nearly 11pm by the time I got back. Up at 4.30 with dd!

SirChenjin Tue 22-Apr-14 15:40:07

They are the best things ever - I got the latest set on Amazon for a fiver (I get the wand type as opposed to the ones that look like regular eyelash curlers iykwim?). They're the only things that work on my long, straight lashes.

SirChenjin Tue 22-Apr-14 15:40:20

Not Amazon, ebay

QueenCadbury Tue 22-Apr-14 15:45:05

More than one thing but..
Regular exercise in the fresh air
Cutting out sugar (mood swings/pms are much more manageable)
Having colours analysed and style day done

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now