Gold signet rings the upper middle class wear on their little finger

(140 Posts)
HanneHolm Mon 16-Dec-13 11:06:55

why? where from what for?
and has no one pointed out they are one step away from a MOM signet ring from Lizzy duke?

squoosh Mon 16-Dec-13 22:55:56

Pinky rings aren't posh enough for me. I'm not confident in my gentleman caller's posh credentials unless he has a Prince Albert with attached chain to keep his well bred member flush beneath his breeches. The sign of a true gentleman I'm sure you'll agree.

I don't see anything wrong with signet rings. There's nice ones and not nice ones.

Find one that suits your hand, as with anything, and you'll be fine.

And don't give a stuff what anyone else thinks about your jewellery. It's yours. Noone else's.

I say that as a jeweller and purveyor of good taste wink

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Tue 17-Dec-13 01:49:10

Our "family crest" has 3 cut off heads dripping with blood on it! Lovely, eh? grin

You're such a goth Schro!

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Tue 17-Dec-13 01:56:08

Wow.

I'm actually lost for words. That's probably the worst coat of arms I've ever seen. Congratulations?!

Mine is a raincloud. I'm basically a care bear.

SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus Tue 17-Dec-13 02:01:04

It definitely is the worst coat of arms (I hope you can't get much worse than that anyway!) Wiki says there is also a stripped skull and leg bones on it as well but I can't see them? confused

Jealous of your raincloud one, that actually sounds pretty. sad

MyMILisfromHELL Tue 17-Dec-13 08:02:03

My Grandad wore one. He was upper middle class. I'm lower middle class, however.

diplodocus Tue 17-Dec-13 10:03:19

That is....individual, Schro. But as it's currently unavailable, there's must have been a run on them from somewhere.

prettykedi Tue 17-Dec-13 11:37:07

We have a family crest. Me and my sisters all wear signet rings with it on. It comes from my maternal grandfather's side of the family, who were Irish. Maternal grandfather was upper middle class. I'm working class.

RonaldMcDonald Tue 17-Dec-13 14:38:57

I had one. I think it depends on you as a person. I wasn't even be arsed to wear my wedding and engagement rings when i was married..so the signet thing really is old.
I got mine when i was 21 as all the women in the family did

Damnautocorrect Tue 17-Dec-13 18:32:37

Oh oh oh My maternal side have a tartan, can I jump on the band wagon wear it?

Gatekeeper Tue 17-Dec-13 18:56:06

I am dripping in tartans <pulls out sword>and fambly crests as am git cultered. There is nothing wrong with signet ring wearing I tell you

I did snigger at some gadgie wearing red breeks today though

I have strong drink taken ^ oh dearrr^

Gatekeeper Tue 17-Dec-13 18:59:54

"NEVER BEHIND" !! apologies but have been to a bit of a do and am merry

Damnautocorrect Wed 18-Dec-13 17:16:09

Oh no just found out I do have a coat of arms, super sad my ds doesn't have my surname. But his dads shit means nothing one. Hurmph

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now