Uggs - yay or nay?

(33 Posts)
eurochick Tue 19-Nov-13 22:26:57

I feel I am rather late to this particular party. I used to HATE Uggs with a vengeance. The slip sloppy walk made me feel a bit stabby. But I have raynaud's and my feet are always cold so I tried on my first pair today (not the standard slip sloppy kind, one with a bit of shape to it). It was like walking on little fluffy clouds. In short, I think I want them (even though my husband was not impressed). They've been around for years, but it seems like every other person I see out is wearing them, and now I think I understand why. Should I go for it?

eurochick Sun 24-Nov-13 16:02:02

Well my Celtics arrived and.... I'm not keen. I don't mind the look (although I prefer the uggs I tried) but I can't walk in them - my heels slip and they pull my socks off. They are the right size - perfect length - but an odd fit. So they are going back. I will have another look at Uggs!

Spottybra Thu 21-Nov-13 13:18:21

I LOVE mine.

I was so against them for the dimple fact they looked ugly.

I was shocked when DH bought me a pair at Christmas just after we discovered I was pregnant for the first time. His reasoning was 'all your shoes are either ridiculous heels or ballet flats. You're pregnant and I would rather you have warm and comfortable feet this winter.'

2nd child is now 2 yrs and I'm trying to wean myself out of them. But it is useless. Having experienced warm and comfortable feet once I am struggling to revert back.

Ginplease Thu 21-Nov-13 13:02:47

Thanks Cherrypie, I didn't mean to do any shopping today but with a 20% off code I now how some cosy looking Celtic boots on the way!

wrigglebum Thu 21-Nov-13 06:25:31

I have the Costco copies too GoodDay and I really like them. They seem good quality and I walk normally in them. Utterly crap in the wet though but I think they do leather ones too that would be better. I think they'll last through this winter as well as last and I wear them most days now (SAHM).

Slippersandacuppa Wed 20-Nov-13 23:34:53

Nay, I think they look nice but they are very cruel. Google how they are made. There are some lovely, cruelty-free ones around.

LulaPalooza Wed 20-Nov-13 23:30:16

Butwhereto I wore my Noiras at the SW4 Festival in Clapham. It absolutely tanked it down and every single centimetre of me was soaking wet apart from my feet and ankles. They were caked in mud, too. Rinsed them off, gave them a polish and they were good as new. Comfy and waterproof! Better than wellies for festivals. I covet them in brown, now

HaveAGoodDay Wed 20-Nov-13 13:45:32

I've never liked the ugg style either, couldn't see the attraction. Mind you I think I phobia of 'labels/names' on clothes/footwear in general iykwim!

Then I went into Costco one day & my OH pointed me in the direction of some looky-likey uggs. I was reluctant to try at first but when i did, i really liked them & feel lovely on. And no label on them!

Cherrypie32 Wed 20-Nov-13 13:09:52

Euro chick - cool you bought some, just some advice, when you first put them on they need to feel very snug, almost like they're too small as the thick sheepskin beds down very quickly x

foxysocks Wed 20-Nov-13 12:30:04

my australia luxe don't do the feet falling in thing. they are v well made.

eurochick Wed 20-Nov-13 11:33:21

Well I have ordered a pair of Celtics, a pair I had been humming and hawing about for about 2 months and were selling out fast (thanks for the 20% discount code). I will see what they are like when they arrive!

WeAreSix Wed 20-Nov-13 11:32:57

I love my Uggs. All 3 pairs of them! And I walk properly in them, it's only the cheap fakes that do the awful turn-over thing so you don't walk on the soles.

Do it!

checking out link for potential 4th pair damn you!

bishboschone Wed 20-Nov-13 11:29:39

Real uggs don't have the ugg walk. Only fake uggs or copies have it... !!!!

bishboschone Wed 20-Nov-13 11:28:18

My noiras have never leaked .. They don't have a tide mark either .. They have weathered
A bit but I have worn them non stop all last winter and will again this winter . I'm a sahm and need clothing that works and also looks good ( to me anyway) .. I have 3 pairs of classic and ugg Tatum .( leather ) and they are all super
Comfy and hardwearing . I wear the classics if I'm going somewhere dry and clean bit noiras very where else and tatums for evenings or posh days ... My feet are difficult and hurt in a lot of shoes but uggs are fine . To me well worth the money .

foxysocks Wed 20-Nov-13 11:09:02

i don't wear mine in the wet, even though they are sprayed. i think they last longer if you don't. my kenlys are three years old and look new, I replaced the inner soles this year as they had worn down through use (celtic sheepskin sell the insoles for around £8) but the outers are in great condition.

foxysocks Wed 20-Nov-13 11:07:33

i love sheepskin lined boots, they don't have to be uggs. have some choc brown kenlys and black/charcoal short ones from australia luxe.

would like some sheepskin lined snow boots too.

You can use waterproof spray on them.

whatsagoodusername Wed 20-Nov-13 10:13:51

Are Uggs not generally waterproof then? That's when I would want them - when it's cold and wet out.

gonetobed Wed 20-Nov-13 09:53:07

I LOVE uggs and have 3 pairs. They are so comfy and warm even without socks.

Only buy the real things though!

Cherrypie32 Wed 20-Nov-13 09:47:24

I own Ugg Kensingtons which whilst lovely and warm and very solid, are not waterproof and leak very quickly despite being leather. Celtic do a waterproof sheepskin boot called Aqualamb.

Butwhereto Wed 20-Nov-13 09:34:14

I am wondering the same thing op. How do the noira owners think they would compare to something like the merrell oslo's which are also furry inside. Do they leak in the rain? It's the rain/water mark issue that has historically put me off uggs (as well as the ugg walk!)

Cherrypie32 Wed 20-Nov-13 09:04:53

Mrsrochester go easy now winkwink

ninah Tue 19-Nov-13 23:36:56

Yes, another late convert here.

I hated them for years. I think they are the ugliest things ever. I caved and bought some a month or so ago and they haven't been off my feet. So warm and comfy. I am mad at myself for not trying them earlier, my feet have been missing out.

bishboschone Tue 19-Nov-13 23:23:29

They come in three colours too .

bishboschone Tue 19-Nov-13 23:22:50

My noiras are in their second winter .. Bloody lub them too!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now