Can I recommend a dress for those who like day dresses.

(33 Posts)
Pagwatch Thu 10-Oct-13 11:58:11

I saw this in Warehouse. I usually buy dresses from whistles, Reiss etc.

It's well cut and lined and looks really nice on.
I didn't buy it because it's a tad short for me.

here it is. It doesn't look great on the site but it's well structured and the fabric is nice in real life

feelingvunerable Sat 12-Oct-13 18:29:17

I think it is a great dress.

Pagwatch Sat 12-Oct-13 17:22:30

I bought some dresses yesterday

this one for boots and tights/ cardigan day time

ditto

And

this for supper or something

Good cut and nice fabrics are your friend smile

Pagwatch Sat 12-Oct-13 17:17:04

Don't buy clothes with animals on unless you are under 10 or the kind of woman who has a fold up plastic hat in your bag.

Pagwatch Sat 12-Oct-13 17:16:06

I'm 51 pippop.

pippop1 Sat 12-Oct-13 17:14:30

I do find it difficult to know what to wear at my age 51 (and shape - size 14 and five foot nothing). I liked a jumper I saw yesterday in M & S with the face of a panda on it, But thought it bit soppy for my age. I'm seeming to go for with plainer clothes but with wacky jewellery and bright scarves. Distracts the eye from the other lumpier middle-aged bits (she said hopefully.....).

I don't want to be one of those people who look young from the back and when they turn around they are much, much older than you thought they were because their clothes are too young for them.

ArtDecoGirly Fri 11-Oct-13 18:35:54

Nice dress, but I'm pretty much a tea dress kind of girl on a daytime! I'd wear it to go to the local for a drink... bit dressy for Asda grin

BanoffeeSplitz Fri 11-Oct-13 17:34:10

Interesting take on the skirt frill, pippop1 - I have a few flippy / frill edged skirts from a couple of years ago that I find I just can't wear these days. I thought I had just got bored of them / I had moved to a more minimal style, but maybe they do just feel a bit young for me now (43).

Also on older women, I think flippy skirts can potentially look dated & aging rather than fresh - a bit "Twiggy at M&S". (I say 'can' because it's very personal & there will always be people of any age who can style it to suit them).

OTOH I think shorts as day wear (tweed & opaque wool tights) is perfectly acceptable, so what would I know grin.

Shorts as evening wear is beyond me though, unless you mean pyjamas.

ilikeitreal Fri 11-Oct-13 15:55:08

Have you seen the day dresses from Oasis? Like this www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Oasis+Fit+and+flare+dress/190937191,default,pd.html or this www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Oasis+Stripe+3/4+sleeve+skater+dress/191081480,default,pd.html - remember the model is really tall so longer on us mortals. Wear with opaque tights and then add flat biker boot styles, and layer with a drapy cardi - its a fun look. Ps sorry for the long links, haven't quite worked that out yet!!

Pagwatch Fri 11-Oct-13 12:40:46

Yeah , I don't buy age limits on clothes.
It's usually how you wear them, the exceptions being branded stuff (superdry, holister), crop tops, shorts as day wear and anything made of nylon.
There may be others but I'm tired.

pippop1 Fri 11-Oct-13 12:40:32

It's the frill on the skirt part that would put me off wearing it. I am 51 and short though. Lovely colour too (the dress, not me).

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 11-Oct-13 12:36:20

Really Pip? I'm 43. sad

pippop1 Fri 11-Oct-13 12:33:49

I like it, but on someone much younger than me. It's for under 35 I would say.

Lavenderhoney Fri 11-Oct-13 12:32:49

I used the try me on thing on the site which saved me from buying it as it revealed my bust is too big and there would be gaping holes at front of the armpits, I need a v neck.

Which is a shame as its exactly the sort of dress I lovesad

Pagwatch Fri 11-Oct-13 12:27:30

Yep. You could def do a cardigan with it

I do lightweight dresses and cardigans/jumpers/boots all the time as I have to sit poolside while DD swims 10 hours a week. Layers are my saviour or I am just a sweaty middle aged woman melting slowly.

Pagwatch Fri 11-Oct-13 12:24:53

No.i just had fantastic legs back then. I can say that now it is all history..

I am probably shorter now. I am wizened. [sad wrinkly face]

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Fri 11-Oct-13 12:24:48

I think it's gorgeous and would wear it for work. Trouble is, I'm always freezing so usually have a cardi on. Could I wear a cardi over those sleeves, do you think?

Grumpywino Fri 11-Oct-13 12:22:02

The sleeves are too fussy, would make me look drag queen like!

SkodaLabia Fri 11-Oct-13 09:30:39

Were you shorter in 1993? grin

Trills Fri 11-Oct-13 08:50:48

I like it, but your "a tad short" makes me think that I don't want it - so thank you! smile

nicename Fri 11-Oct-13 08:46:41

I've got bloody veiny legs (they are supposed to be inside my legs!) so I need wooly tights or trousers these days!

hermioneweasley Fri 11-Oct-13 08:23:48

Pag, I have fat knees so while I love the dress, it's too short for me too!

angelinajelly Fri 11-Oct-13 08:11:54

I've got two or three dresses with sleeves like that, I think they're lovely.

JoinYourPlayfellows Thu 10-Oct-13 20:41:32

I do love a day dress and am very excited to be back in the market for dresses having stopped breastfeeding over the summer.

That one's too short for me. I have OK legs, but I'm still a bit too fat for a dress that length. Also the pelmet sleeves would draw attention to my arms.

But thanks for the suggestion smile

Pagwatch Thu 10-Oct-13 20:31:03

[sigh] I have great arms. But I have the knees of an elderly rhino.

I just want someone else to look lovely in it. The skirt and the back of the neck are lovely. It's just timing. I should have bought it in 1993

Stepawayfromthezebras Thu 10-Oct-13 19:19:25

My mum arranged for me and my sis to get our colours done a few years ago. And the lady who did them was wearing a blue wooly cardigan with sheep on it. I'm sure navy blue was her colour but I was a bit suspicious about taking style advice from someone wearing a sheep cardi.

She said I was summer and I've since self diagnosed myself as a soft winter

The Warehouse dress is lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now