Anyone has got Canada goose coat??

(21 Posts)
solveproblem Wed 25-Sep-13 20:48:42

I think that's a very wise decision.

moibutbetter Wed 25-Sep-13 20:47:01

ok I decided not to get it...will look for alternative and possibly cheaper one;)

thanks everyone x

AmandaHoldenmigroin Tue 24-Sep-13 03:51:44

Don't think it's suitable for a few degrees under - you would be really hot. Why don't you try it on in the store. My friend in the uk never wears hers.

poppingin1 Tue 24-Sep-13 03:05:23

I did a little more digging into the brand yesterday out of curiosity, and after watching some behind the scenes footage I can see how they justify the price as each coat is hand made on Canadian soil.

They have a grading system that can tell you what temperatures each of their coats has been designed for. The Trillium is made for -15 to -25 degrees, which I assume is Celsius and not Fahrenheit. Its not a coat really suitable for use in a typical British winter IMO, but its your money OP and you know how hot you want to feel.

I didn't realise they use real fur though! I personally wouldn't buy their products in that case. I found this rather depressing link that supposedly outlines the truer nature of their handling of animal rights. It makes for grim reading but here it is furbearerdefenders.com/blog/blog/1-blog/92-saving-trapped-skunks

I have one that i wore in Montreal which I needed. We've just moved to texas, i might wear it for a Texas style hot yoga grin. I think in the UK you need more layers as the cold is more chill your bones cold, whereas in Canada for instance I found it a dryer cold

lemonpoppyseed Tue 24-Sep-13 01:51:06

That said, a lot of people have them here, as seen in this video: http://youtu.be/2_tBxsXVlhs

lemonpoppyseed Tue 24-Sep-13 01:47:28

I live in Toronto, and have friends who own these coats but don't wear them because they are too warm. It regularly gets down to -20 here in the winter. When you see people on the subway in them, they are always red and sweaty. Might be too much for the British climate?

WafflyVersatile Tue 24-Sep-13 01:38:29

Oh, I was expecting something a bit more like bjork and her swan dress. sad

offtogetmesomebrains Tue 24-Sep-13 01:15:46

Canada Goose are designed for very cold and snowy climes, where real fur is justifiable for it's function. You can read about their fur policy here if you're interested http://www.canada-goose.com/cp-faq/fur-policy-what-is-your-fur-policy/

Obviously fur won't be performing quite the same function in the UK climate! They are zip-off trims I believe, if you don't want to actually wear the the fur, though doesn't escape the fact you've paid for/supported it, if that bothers you.

Awesome coats. I'd love one if I could afford it.

bishboschone Mon 23-Sep-13 21:47:55

They look like amazing coats but on top
Of the coyote reason , there is the feather problem as well. There was an article someone posted recently about the ducks / geese being plucked bare while they were alive . Is all fur taken while the animal is alive ? Maybe they kill the coyote first ?-- hopeful emotion --

MairzyDoats Mon 23-Sep-13 21:28:41

How can they justify that price though? Canada Geese are ten a penny!

Zoe678 Mon 23-Sep-13 21:26:06

I would love one. shocking price. Occasionally though I was still cold in my long north face coat. Are these warmer? It may not get to minus thirty here but the wind can make 3 degrees feel worse than minus thirty!

I'm intrigued by a coat that would be too warm! (from late dec, & jan, feb)

moibutbetter Mon 23-Sep-13 20:56:46

Thanks for the comments, well I live in South East too and sometimes I do feel very cold...I dont do big thick jumpers even in awinter Id just wear long sleeve shirt and I think the coat would be just perfect for me ..

then the coyote fur...not sure how I feel about it..

solveproblem Mon 23-Sep-13 06:38:29

I've got one and it was definitely worth the money when I lived in Sweden. -30 deg C wasn't a problem at all in that coat.

I've never worn it in the UK though as it would be far to warm for the weather here (South East)!

MrsMills Mon 23-Sep-13 06:16:33

I've had one for 7 years, unsure of the model, but it's unisex. It's SERIOUSLY warm, for SERIOUSLY cold places only I'd say.

When I bought it, I naively presumed the fur to be fake, but as bishboschone point out, it is real. After a lengthy mumsnet debate, I decided to send a letter to Canada Goose and make a donation to WWF to help my conscience.

kiwik Mon 23-Sep-13 00:01:14

I've got the Montebello parka, which is the warmest coat ever. I wear it a lot during winter when we go down to the mountain. (Although not to actually ski or board in.)
I bought in the US, where it is the same price in $ as it is in pounds, not sure I could justify the UK price.

bishboschone Sun 22-Sep-13 23:17:57

It's real
Fur though isn't it ? Coyote !!

lurkingaround Sun 22-Sep-13 21:18:48

No but I would love one.

poppingin1 Sun 22-Sep-13 21:06:43

I was looking at Canada Goose a few weeks ago and also liked that one in particular, but too pricey for me.

They definitely seem to make outstanding coats, but I went with Didriksons for value for money.

Tasmania Sun 22-Sep-13 20:50:25

A friend has one. She says its worth it. But she does live in Scandinavia, so the warmth is welcome...

moibutbetter Sun 22-Sep-13 20:16:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now