Wearing 2nd hand clothes- do you?

(91 Posts)
missbopeep Wed 04-Sep-13 20:26:39

Often lots of suggestions on here to buy from Ebay etc and I'm just wondering...

do you feel comfortable in second hand clothes ( assuming they are of course laundered.)

I'm afraid I don't. I've bought a few things- an unworn cardi, a mac and a lightly used dress and I didn't feel 'right' in the dress.

I'd be fine with a coat that could be cleaned and is not next to my skin but I don't feel right wearing someone else's dresses, tops and certainly not trousers.

I've even stopped watching and bidding for 'new without tags' because I am never sure if they are genuinely unworn.

gamerchick Wed 04-Sep-13 22:17:49

You are aware OP that your house is full of dust mites don't you?

I have faith in my washing machine so not arsed here... aside from underwear etc.

Oldandcobwebby Wed 04-Sep-13 22:18:50

The huge majority of our clothes are from charity shops. By this means, we wear top notch (ie Austin Reed, Windsmoor, Jacques Vert, etc) stuff whilst not spending loads of cash. What we save has gone to fund a much posher house than we could otherwise afford. We live very well and spend little.

MiauMau Wed 04-Sep-13 22:22:59

No. I've spend my childhood, teenage years and part of my adult life in second hand clothes, was bullied for years about it so no, I don't.

BackforGood Wed 04-Sep-13 22:23:23

Almost all of my clothes are 'pre-worn'.
Saves me LOADS of money, means I can have lots of different clothes. Can't understand why anyone wouldn't.

Gingersnap88 Wed 04-Sep-13 22:59:48

All my clothes and DDs clothes are second hand from eBay (apart from undies) as this allows me to buy good quality, natural fibres at an affordable price. I certainly wouldn't buy them new now..

Leviticus Thu 05-Sep-13 00:51:11

I feel exactly like that Norks, especially about inscribed books. I like the thought of things having had a little journey before they end up with me.

DaleyBump Thu 05-Sep-13 01:04:05

I wear almost everything second hand. Love second hand clothes!

duchesse Thu 05-Sep-13 01:04:51

Yep, I do, all the time. I wash them straight away without thinking about it and they smell straight away like the rest of my laundry. I grew up wearing 2nd hand clothes so the only thing that interests me is whether I chose it or not. Ebay lets me choose whatever I want without worrying about cost, so it's win-win afaic.

duchesse Thu 05-Sep-13 01:06:06

Norks, I thought that sheepy smell was part of the charm of sheepskin!

AmandaHoldenmigroin Thu 05-Sep-13 02:43:40

Yes, I have bought a lot of second hand stuff on ebay. A don't wear trousers so that's not a problem. Would probably draw the line at underwear/swimwear unless brand new. (You can actually try these things on in stores too so buying them from a shop doesn't guarantee no germs) I have even bought shoes off ebay - turns out there are lots of women with exquisite taste and more shoes than they need. They have to be in really good condition though. and I am diagnosed OCD too so OCD really has nothing to do with it.

AdoraBell Thu 05-Sep-13 04:09:54

I haven't given this much thought really. Growing up I had the family's hand me downs and so always coveted something, anything really, that was just mine. I have both refused and accepted second hand for DDs, depending who was offering. I now find myself slightly jealous of all the seriously bargain prices you can get good quality things for in the UK. If we ever do manage to get bag I shall start looking in charity shops first as with ebay you can't garauntee state of things before buying them.

Then I'll discovered wether I'm a snob or not.

GrandstandingBlueTit Thu 05-Sep-13 05:49:39

I sort of get what you mean, as I am always, sort of, aware when I am wearing something second-hand... But I don't let it stop me - I enjoy foraging around in second-hand shops to much and finding great stuff that I wouldn't otherwise be able to get my hands on.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 05-Sep-13 05:53:04

I buy stuff for me on eBay, but to be honest about half isn't nearly as good asit looks on thelisting, either in sizing / fitting or quality. So I tend to only buy clothes that are a real bargain and I can write off the cost if they are no good. I prefer TK Maxx for designer bargains

scarlet76 Thu 05-Sep-13 06:10:55

I volunteered in Oxfam for a number of years. It was in a nice part of town and there were some seriously great donations. But second hand leaves me cold. It doesn't give me that buzz I get from buying something new. Even after washing I don't feel that it's clean or that it's mine.
I sell a lot of my old stuff on ebay so I know there are lots of people out there who don't feel the same as me. I work hard, I'm not into designer - more mid -high end high street - and I try to stick to a quality over quantity rule.
As for hotel rooms, I travel with my own pillow and always always always have to remove cushions that make me feel a bit gippy!!!

Gracie990 Thu 05-Sep-13 06:43:08

Yes, but only charity shop as I like to check the item and smell it etc. You can't really do that on eBay.

The postal cost on eBay often kill a bargain, this week I got a whistles skirt for £3 in a charity shop. ( would have been £8 if i had paid postage)

It's immaculate, what's not to love?

missbopeep Thu 05-Sep-13 08:18:16

Looks like I am outnumbered then. Actually really surprised at how many people say they don't care...but maybe the ones who do, aren't posting or using MN?

I too sometimes take my own pillow on hols thought not overseas not so much because of dust mites but because I like a really flat pillow and find most are too high and rock hard, and then I don't sleep.

I can see both sides and take the point about clothes that have been tried on in stores- but that would be for seconds not the same as worn for months or longer.

Umlauf Thu 05-Sep-13 08:21:01

I worked in a high street clothing store while I was at uni, and one woman used to come in and demand to try on things out of the stockroom, and only if we could "guarantee" they'd not been tried on before her.

missbopeep Thu 05-Sep-13 08:24:21

It wasn't me smile

Umlauf Thu 05-Sep-13 09:20:16

I kind of know where you're coming from, I love eBay and have no qualms about second hand stuff there but I feel funny about charity shops. I always feel so mean if I don't buy anything, and I don't want to wear anything from them because of an irrational fear someone might have died in the clothes!! Obviously the chances of that are exactly the same as eBay stuff but... Irrational!

God yes, all the time. My best buy of all time has to be my Issa dress (k middy style) - RRP c.£500, mine was £10 from my local car boot sale. Absolutely immaculate. I also found a MBMJ leather bag there for £1.

This week I won a pair of shoes from eBay I had been coveting but had sold out. Brand new, £10. I often used eBay to hunt things I've missed.

We earn well and I don't really have any budget restrictions, I just love the thrill of a good find!

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 05-Sep-13 09:57:01

No, I don't wear anything second hand. Probably for the same reasons as you missbopeep.

Yes, I do and always have done. I won't wear cheap rubbish, but don't have the budget to buy the things I like new, so Ebay it is! When I was younger and lived in a great city I used to get everything I owned (bar underwear) from charity shops and vintage shops. The charity shops where I live now are a bit crap though, mostly full of the same cheap crap that I won't buy new, so certainly won't buy second-hand hmm

I do buy some things new - if they're reduced in sales or I have a good discount code.

Funny thing is, though, that over the last couple of years I've begun to notice a creeping squeamishness about Other People's Things that I never EVER used to feel confused I've no idea where it's come from. When I get Ebay parcels now I take the packet through to the washing machine to open and then the item goes straight in, regardless of whether it is clean or not.

Am bidding on a coat at the minute and sort of regretting it, because I know I will have to take it straight to the dry-cleaners even if it looks immaculate. But needs must. I need a good warm coat that is at least 80% wool and ideally 10-20% cashmere. Can get that for £20ish on Ebay, so even with dry-cleaning it works out loads cheaper than a new one.

I have quite a few second hand/antique/charity shop finds that I love. I wouldn't do nightwear or underwear, and only shoes that are unworn.

How do you manage when trying on clothes in shops? Do you wait until they get a delivery so that the clothes cannot possibly have been tried on by someone before you?

Hopefully Thu 05-Sep-13 11:43:28

I happily wear secondhand, especially if it means buying something that I wouldn't otherwise be able to justify. I have a real mix in my wardrobe of ebay/charity shop stuff, high street, designer and bespoke. Saving in some areas allows me to splurge majorly in others. It has literally never occurred to me to feel uncomfortable about it.

Xiaoxiong Thu 05-Sep-13 14:22:52

There's plenty of stuff on ebay and FB selling groups that have only been tried on once or not at all, so technically those are no more "second hand" than stuff that's been returned to a shop or seconds.

I agree that it never even occurred to me to think that there could be a problem.

Anyway, to each their own, without people who only buy new like you OP there wouldn't be enough second-hand stuff around to be sold on to people like me wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now