Shampoo without sodium lauryl sulphates

(64 Posts)
missbopeep Thu 22-Aug-13 14:07:57

Recommendations?

I've seen L'Oreal advertised online but can't find them in my small-ish Boots.

Any other choices and not costing ££££s?

dirtyface Sat 24-Aug-13 09:13:47

akiss

there are actually lots of women around who have thin / thinning hair. they may not be actually bald but they are losing a lot of hair. there was a long running thread on here a while ago where there were loads of posters losing their hair. scared me shitless tbh

TwasBrillig Sat 24-Aug-13 09:23:44

I'm still a bit confused. I have a Brazilian hair dry so bought a green looking shampoo but I haven't checked the ingredients. What am I looking for?

So far I've seen two different sls mentioned.
Parabens
Silicon.

Would all three be labelled with those terms? Does any shampoo not have any of them and still work?

Luckily my Brazilian lasts a good time, but if I had the right shampoo would it last longer? My hair is thin anyway so anything that helps!

PoppyAmex Sat 24-Aug-13 09:34:47

Twas, like StepAway mentioned up thread you need to look for shampoos without sodium chloride and sulfates.

IME, salt considerably shortens the lifespan of the treatment.

TwasBrillig Sat 24-Aug-13 09:42:34

Ah yes - I currently have my daughters 'asda eco baby shampoo."

It says no parabens and 'simply natural with no nasties'
But does have sodium laureth sulfate and sodium chloride (and 2 other sodium things -Benzoate and hydroxide)!!

Are there only a few products safe to buy then?

AwkwardSquad Sat 24-Aug-13 10:00:45

Green People. Leaving the SLS debate to one side, I find GP shampoo and conditioner leaves my fine hair in great condition and it's the best range I've used. I've tried some of the other ones mentioned above, including Aveda, and so far GP wins, for me anyway. I use the Aloe one at the moment.

GW297 Sat 24-Aug-13 12:58:58

I think it's time for me to give the green people shampoo another go after seeing so many recommendations on here. Plus they give a percentage of their profits to charity too!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 26-Aug-13 19:07:12

sorry poppy but it clearly says on the site linked that it does contain sodium chloride. oops

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 26-Aug-13 19:08:31

Product Description
Product Description
Organix Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo has an alluring blend of antioxidant rich coconut oil along with lush keratin proteins to strengthen and soften the hair, while avocado oil and cocoa butter smooth the cuticle for straight, strong, tresses, adding a brilliant glow and luminescent shine. This rich sulfate and sodium chloride free formula smooths and strengthens your curly or wavy tresses. Indulge your senses with Organix, beauty pure and simple. Softly scented, Organix Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo is also available in a conditioner and an anti-breakage hair serum for extra protection while styling. NOTE: The shampoo product utilizes a unique blend of sulfate-free surfactants but is not sodium chloride free.

PoppyAmex Mon 26-Aug-13 19:13:24

Oh crap, you're right Step.

Now I'm thinking I'm senile because I've been told Organix was Brazilian/Keratin friendly since I've done my first treatment years ago.

I used to buy the Coconut Organix as recommended by hairdresser - now I'm wondering if that one has sodium too? hmm

Off to check now. Anyway, thanks for your attention to detail.

PoppyAmex Mon 26-Aug-13 19:15:39

Well that's odd, their website specifically says it's sodium free, so I'm guessing it's the Amazon listing that's wrong?

here

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Mon 26-Aug-13 19:16:50

no worries, it obviously worked so maybe no need to change, I struggled to find one without and ended up with sainsburys kids cherry almond shampoo which is cheap and lush!

missbopeep Mon 26-Aug-13 19:49:50

Okay- so I bought the Organix Moroccan Oil one then was worried when I read the ingredients.

I googled for ages and came up with various things including this one

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_sulfosuccinate_a_sulfate

I also found another more detailed account which said that the above chemical is not as irritating as SLS but it's not exactly innocent either. It just seems less likely to cause irritation to the scalp.

The article I found arrived at the conclusion that it was half as irritating as SLS because of the amount used in the organix shampoos- about 20% according to organix.

So- I'll use my shampoo up but might look further afield next time for some with any of this.

missbopeep Mon 26-Aug-13 19:51:28

sodium chloride is simply salt- like you put on your chips grin

It's not the sodium that is the issue it's the sulphates.

PoppyAmex Mon 26-Aug-13 21:09:30

missbopeep sorry to have derailed your thread - the sodium issue is for people who had the keratin treatment done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now