Blinking The White Company

(25 Posts)
HappyAsEyeAm Wed 21-Aug-13 12:57:35

I only ever buy clothes for the DSs in there, and only ever in the sales. Their boys' pyjamas are fantastic when they're £10 a pair, and I've had some nice tops for 5yo DS1 and some lovely baby stuff for 15mo DS2. But always in the sales with free delivery.

It narks me too that they don't provide a label (pre-paid or not) for returns. Its deliberate - it has to be.

Their womens stuff doesn't ever suit me, as I'm short. They obviously design only for women who are 5 foot 8 and who like drapey things and relax at home things.

missbopeep Wed 21-Aug-13 10:58:45

Dunno Cheaper suppliers?

TBH I can't comment on the quality- three pieces of knitwear I bought 2-3 years back are still going strong and look as new.
But the cashmere sweater I returned was tissue-thin and see-thru in pale grey.

Most clothes are crazy prices and they seem to work on the basis of selling a few to women with more money than sense, at full price, then the rest heavily discounted in sales.

cheerfulweatherforthewedding Wed 21-Aug-13 10:12:37

What's happened to the quality, it's very puzzling.

KosherBacon Wed 21-Aug-13 09:23:44

I think the quality had gone down hill. I used to love their roll top yoga pants and have pairs that are five years old still going strong, but more recent versions have gone tatty so quickly.

The CS is awful as well, especially for online orders.

missbopeep Wed 21-Aug-13 08:28:52

She's right smile
I agree.

I buy perhaps one 'piece' each season but it's never a dress designed to cover a mumsy tummy, or a jumper that's as big as a marquee. Their trousers are also very long - recently returned some leggings style that were at least 6 inches too long and I'm around a 28 leg.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 21-Aug-13 07:47:11

The manager in my local shop told me that basically that's who they design for - women of a certain age who want to cover up. I find their sizing enormous and being short, nothing works on me.

Their clothes used to be a lot better I think.

missbopeep Tue 20-Aug-13 22:46:25

I like quite a lot except for the increasing amount of loose & drapey knitwear and dresses which seem aimed at women who want to hide their figures. never buy unless 20% off.

MrsMcGregor Tue 20-Aug-13 21:49:51

I love their pyjamas but wouldn't buy without a 20% code. Kids nightwear good too but never see anything I like for me now, whereas a few years ago would have seen quite a bit that I liked.

missbopeep Tue 20-Aug-13 19:33:19

Far as I know they are still a husband and wife team and he runs Charles Twyford (Shirts.)

SundaySimmons Tue 20-Aug-13 19:21:11

They have gone downhill. They used to be good for to toiletries and pyjamas and dressing gowns but the quality is now piss poor.

I have wondered if they sold out to an organisation.

missbopeep Tue 20-Aug-13 19:13:47

Foxy- I know their policy perfectly well thanks. Have bought from them for years.
99% of the time I take back to a store but it's a point in principle.

I was giving feedback on the quality of the jumper and as a 'BTW' moaned about lack of labels and the fact they are IME one of the few if only companies which NEVER does free returns.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 20-Aug-13 18:47:35

The only thing I like from there are the winter candles, and only then with a 20% off voucher.

And their bed linen is rubbish now.

TSSDNCOP Tue 20-Aug-13 18:44:36

I went into the LWC the other day to buy clothes for twin baby boys. I left very annoyed as the range was tiny, whilst the range for girls went along an entire wall.

foxysocks Tue 20-Aug-13 18:37:11

they are AWFUL

I was given some vouchers for TWC and it took about three years for me to a. find something i liked b. for it to ACTUALLY be in stock, rather than just saying so on their website which apparently doesn't mean anything and c. arrive. like MrsCB I had a parcel go missing on it's way to me.

they are so so so bad. i will never use them again.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 20-Aug-13 18:33:01

They are rubbish. I've had 2 orders not turn up in the last 12 months. To be fair they sent them again by courier rather than RM but they made me feel like a criminal.

Companies that don't do free returns are very annoying. Wrap are another one with dreadful customer service. People slate Boden but their customer service is fab.

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 20-Aug-13 18:30:19

oh foxy dont be so boring

FoxyHarlow123 Tue 20-Aug-13 18:29:09

But surely it's your responsibility to check the returns policy before you buy and if you don't like it, choose to shop elsewhere?

missbopeep Tue 20-Aug-13 16:58:35

I was just disgusted at the pathetic reply from CS 'justifying' why they didn't do free returns or even include a bloody label. Not even a ' something we are considering' .

I suspect it's a generic reply because they wittered on about how easy it was to return to one 'of their many increasing stores'. As I live 35 miles from 2 big cities and they are the nearest stores to me, I hate to think how close other people are!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 20-Aug-13 16:45:50

And actually the quality is nowhere near as good as it was 5 years ago. The clothes bobble and generally wash badly, and the sizing is all over the place - and thin cashmere etc as you found OP.

The prices have gone up massively at the same time.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 20-Aug-13 16:44:30

I've had horrid customer service from them so I've gone from being among their biggest fans to never buying from them.

No free returns is precisely why the only purchases I have made from them is a few pairs of childrens PJs/nighties in the sale .I wouldn't buy anything more dependent on a good fit if it would cost me a fortune to return it.

missbopeep Tue 20-Aug-13 16:30:51

It's a complete PITA having to scour the bloody form for the address- in tiny print in a really obscure place on the paperwork- then write or print a label , find the sellotape, then pay for the damned stuff to be posted.

It's just at odds with the 'I love you all' little messages from Chrissie- who's sitting back laughing and raking it all in.

SofaCanary Tue 20-Aug-13 15:58:59

Agree with you, they're a royal pain in the arse.

The no returns label thing is a bloody joke, I'm sure it's to discourage people from returning stuff.

MrsMcGregor Tue 20-Aug-13 15:53:21

Completely agree! Even a sticky label wouldn't cost them more than pennies.

missbopeep Tue 20-Aug-13 12:05:18

I gave feedback along the lines that the item was not suitable ( the cashmere was very thin) and moaned about the fact they don't include a returns label and charge for return postage. (I did in fact take it back to a shop but it's a 70 mile round trip).

They replied ( on the Feefo site I think ) that ' because they always have such wonderful offers and discounts they can't offer free returns.'

Given they are primarily mail order, why the heck can't they at least provide a sticky label to attach to returns instead of an address in tiny print somewhere on the invoice.

Their clothes are very expensive and I'm sure they could afford free returns if they wanted to- their profits are something in excess of £60m a year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now