Yet another bra thread.......

(102 Posts)

So I went to the dreaded M & S a couple of months ago and they fitted me in a 34dd.

I have the back fastened on the tightest hook and I can pull it really far away and my straps are done up as tight as possible. I also have awful shoulder and neck pain.

So what do I need to do? I don't have a Freya or Bravissimo locally and I'm not sure that I trust the high streets stores anymore.

LousThighBurn Tue 06-Aug-13 20:23:13

Farrow Mycurvesandme have a sale on at the moment, and now you know your size have a look on eBay they are a fraction of the usual cost.

I've still not figured out my size,I have tried on 10 bras in the three sizes I could be and I feel hopeless, I feel like sticking my head in the sand and my boobs back in the 34D/DD's. envy-grumpy face!

CelticPromise Tue 06-Aug-13 20:45:38

Louis have you found anything that suits at all? What are the problems?

LousThighBurn Tue 06-Aug-13 22:48:05

Hello Celtic, I seem to lack fullness, I am still breast feeding (DS 2yo). I tried on balconette, half cups and full cups in sizes 30FF,30G,30GG. The band size was near perfect but there was still an issue of the bra not sitting completely flush on my back (bad scooping technique or just carrying extra pounds on my back) and a 32 band would of been too big.

CelticPromise Tue 06-Aug-13 22:59:34

Do you mean you could pull it away from your back? What about a 28? What did you measure?

I would expect balconettes to be the place to start, my boobs are not very full either especially at the top, and I get on better with them.

LousThighBurn Tue 06-Aug-13 23:13:39

I'm sorry for the post hijack!
I couldn't pull the 30 away from my back but could put my fingers underneath the band.The 32 was easy to pull away in the M&S bras I tried on, but the debenhams gorgeous range fit like a 30. I hadn't thought of trying a 28. My measurements are 30 under and 40 over. The balconette didn't lift my bust enough, they filled the cup but they were flat at the top rather than rounded. I tried a DD and an E and that remedied the flat issue but I wasn't in the cup fully. I'll have to drive to my nearest Bravissimo and have a fitting as Debenhams is hit and miss.

CelticPromise Tue 06-Aug-13 23:34:16

Louis try going up in the cup? Your measurements put you at a GG and you may need to try either side. M&S don't do FF and their bras in bigger cup sizes are not brilliant IME. Debenhams Gorgeous do indeed come up small in the band but also in the cup. If you've tried a G/GG in those brands chances are it might be too small. Don't be afraid to go up and scoop like crazy. Having said that, if you're not getting much lift it could be the band is too big, so maybe try a 28 just to see? You'd need an H though. Bravissimo we great if you can get there.

LousThighBurn Wed 07-Aug-13 08:51:35

Thank you so much for your help Celtic I'll try that today. I was put off trying a bigger cup because of not having the fullness in other cups.

WheresMyCow Wed 07-Aug-13 10:36:01

Hve lurked on many of the bra threads but never posted as I was quite happy that I was wearing the right size (was 34F/FF after finishing breastfeeding DS).

However, I have been losing weight and am now at my target and know that my bras are too big now. I had anticipated going down to a 32, just wasn't sure on the cup size, but I have measured this morning and have got measurements of 29 and 37 - would this put me in a 28/30 FF?

TIA

SorrelForbes Wed 07-Aug-13 11:06:35

Try a 28G/FF and 30FF/F

peanutbuttersarnies Wed 07-Aug-13 12:30:01

Hi everyone. I normally wear 34c. Just measured and think i am 31 -37 or 38. Bought a 32e feels amazing! Like my whole posture has changed. I cant believe the difference. I can still pull away the band a fair but though. Easily 1-2 inches. Do you think i should actually try ordering 30f? Or 30g? I am strugglibg to get my head around me being an e cup, letalone anythibg bigger!

farrowandbawl Wed 07-Aug-13 12:34:26

Peanut, the best thing you can do is order a 30F and try it, if you keep the tags just return it if it doesn't feel right.

<The difference a good fitting bra makes is amazing isn't it?>

SorrelForbes Wed 07-Aug-13 12:35:56

How does the cup feel? If it fits fine then yes, try a 30F. If you've scooped and got any overspill or quadboob, try a 30G.

peanutbuttersarnies Wed 07-Aug-13 12:45:40

Thanks. I am trully amazed. I think i will need to go down to 30. I can feel the band spins round a bit when i turn ti the side.
Thanks for the help.

SorrelForbes Wed 07-Aug-13 12:56:07

Yep, it certainly sounds like a 30 would be better. Be aware though that Debenhams Gorgeous range comes up very small in the back as do some M&S bras. Panache bands tend to be stiffer and smaller than Freya and Fantasie. Curvy Kate tend to come up big in the band.

peanutbuttersarnies Wed 07-Aug-13 16:27:36

Great. Thanks for the tips.

Minimammoth Thu 08-Aug-13 19:39:57

Help please. I have long thought that my bra does not fit, have been measured by private underware boutiques MnS and house of Fraser. Never had a big bust, but have plenty of folds and softness around armpits etc. I measure just over 32 around the band and 38 on the drop forward. So that's a 32E? I am a bit scared that that is going to be way too tight. Should one be breathing in or out when measuring?

Yup, start with a 32E. Don't worry about it being too tight - it should feel firm, but not too tight. DOn't bother trying M&S as their bras are all over the place just now size wise

Minimammoth Thu 08-Aug-13 19:52:48

Looking at the Tshirt bra on Bravisimo, the panache porcelains bra. By the way, am way past menopause so no monthly fluctuations. Anyone tried this one?

CelticPromise Thu 08-Aug-13 20:39:26

Haven't tried it myself but Bravissimo are great for customer service, you get free returns until you get the right fit so it's worth a try.

SorrelForbes Thu 08-Aug-13 21:09:57

I've tried it but it wasn't great for me as it cut in across the top of my boobs. Just the wrong shape I guess. Seemed a nice bra though.

Minimammoth Thu 08-Aug-13 21:17:46

That's good to know Celtic thanks. I will order. Meanwhile I might try bra shop in town to experiment with new sizing.

I think from reading a few bra forums that most people seem to get on with either the bravissimo satine, the panache porcelain, or the freya deco. Nobody gets on with all of them but generally one of them works!

WheresMyCow Fri 09-Aug-13 09:31:11

Thanks for the advise on sizing - does anyone know what Lepel bra's are like sizing wise?

I got two off the local market yesterday (bargain at £1 each so worth a try!) one a 30F and the other a 30FF. The 30 band seems to be the right size, currently feels a little tight, but that's because I have been wearing a 34. I have scooped and in the F the cup still seems to be a little small, and the FF seems to be a little big. I know that it could be the style of the bra, but just wondered if anyone had any experience of them.

SorrelForbes Fri 09-Aug-13 09:35:04

I used to half a couple of the Lepel Fiore full cup bras (they look more like a balconette but there is a balconette in the range - confusing!). IIRC they ran very true to size.

Sounds like a style issue tbh. Was it the top of the cup on the 30FF that was too big?

WheresMyCow Fri 09-Aug-13 10:56:56

Yes it was the top of the cup. Once I scooped and adjusted the shoulder straps, it did seem big at the top. I tried re-scooping and filled it a bit more but was still abit big

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now