Bra intervention help

(43 Posts)
ThinkyPantsWorryWort Tue 30-Jul-13 12:32:00

Hello, unexpectedly have a few hours to shop. Have read lots on bra intervention but haven't measured as thought it would be an age before I had the chance to shop.

So I have bought a tape measure and measured myself in m & s toilets! Not sure I should admit that!!!

So I come out as 39 under bust, and 45 over bust at a 90 degree angle.

Should I start at 38D?

Any suggestions warmly recieved!

Difference between 38 and 45 is 7, so you need to try 38F (A,B,C,D,DD,E,F)

start at 38e or f but watch out for small running m and s back sizes

ThinkyPantsWorryWort Tue 30-Jul-13 12:58:03

Thanks very much! Am afraid the lady on the changing rooms will laugh at me! I normally wear a 38B!

I shall check in again....where else on the high st would you lovely ladies suggest??

JacqueslePeacock Tue 30-Jul-13 13:08:51

Could I hijack please with my own intervention help request?

I cannot seem to get the hang of the measuring blush. I get various underbust measurements, depending on whether I breathe in or out and how straight the tape measure is on my back, ranging from 34 to 36 inches. Then I'm not sure how to measure the fullest part - does this include nipples (mine stick out a lot!)? And do I pull the tape measure tight, so that breasts are pulled towards each other, or just let it go loosely round? I get a range of 42 to 44 depending on how I do it.

Thank you and sorry for being dim!

Tight under, loose over, so 34 / 44.

Try a 34GG (not in M&S!)

JacqueslePeacock Tue 30-Jul-13 13:19:13

Thank you! The 44 included my sticky outy nipples, so perhaps 43 would be better as a loose measurement over my bust. I'm already wearing a 34 G (measured a year ago in Bravissimo) but it is feeling too loose on the cups. I'm BFing but am now down to 2 feeds a day so boobs feel all empty and saggy, alas, and have definitely changed shape and become less full since then. Do I need a different size, or just a different style? Sadly there are not too many styles of nursing bra available.

CelticPromise Tue 30-Jul-13 13:26:14

Thinky Debenhams are pretty good and carry a decent range of sizes.

CelticPromise Tue 30-Jul-13 13:29:05

Jacques do you need a nursing bra for two feeds a day? Anita make one with wires which may help, wires will give you much more lift but non nursing bras will give a much wider choice.

JacqueslePeacock Tue 30-Jul-13 13:46:32

Hmm, perhaps not - that's a good idea, Celtic. I will have a look for some wired non-nursing bras and just take them off for BFing (not so easy when out I guess, but that doesn't happen often anymore). For some reason I thought wired bras were a no-no when BFing but I don't know why, really.

ThinkyPantsWorryWort Tue 30-Jul-13 15:36:31

I am clearly looking in the wrong places . . .hmm

cocolepew Tue 30-Jul-13 15:51:26

I like Sainsbury's bras they always fit really well.

Ive been wearing a 36/40c but bought a 36E shock after advice from here. I'm going to change it to a 40E, it was a bit tight. The cup size was perfect, I thought I'd never fill it!

coco that seems quite drastic - a 40E will have the same cup size as a 36FF. If it's just that the band is tight (and that it really is tight, not the boobs stealing fabric), then try a 38DD.

cocolepew Tue 30-Jul-13 16:08:33

Oh thanks!

JacqueslePeacock Tue 30-Jul-13 16:26:11

ThinkyPants, sorry for the hijack! Have you tried John Lewis? TKMaxx sometimes have bargains in unusual sizes so can be worth a look. Otherwise, any independent underwear shop would be good or you could order a load online and send lots back.

badguider Tue 30-Jul-13 16:29:35

Can I hijack with a question about fitting rather than about measuring?

I have had wonderfully well fitting bras from bravissimo for a good few years but now I am pregnant my boobs are changing.
The bra I have on now mostly fits ok but the bit in the centre between my boobs is no longer tight against my breastbone at the top - does this mean that i've gone up a cup size?

Thanks smile

badguider Tue 30-Jul-13 16:30:35

Oh, and if i have gone up a cup size - what comes after F? is there a FF or does it go straight to G? is there a GG after G or H? (sorry - my boobs have never been this big before blush)

you need to go up at least a cup size probably two or more. the cups generally go f ff g gg h hh etc

goodasitgets Tue 30-Jul-13 16:36:30

If the centre gore isn't flat it generally means cup too small or wrong style (Freya never is flat on me)
Some places do an FF so it goes F FF G GG H HH

badguider Tue 30-Jul-13 17:10:41

excellent. thanks.
i'm pretty sure i dont' need to go up two or more just yet as it's only just coming away from my breastbone now... although after my milk comes in it might be a totally different story grin

I'd maybe try 1 and 2. It depends a bit on your boobs, but for me 1 cup too small isn't enough to push the gore away - that's minor quad boob territory for me.

ThinkyPantsWorryWort Tue 30-Jul-13 20:06:35

Well, not a successful day; nothing bought as literally no where had the right range if sizes in bras I like. Going to have a look online tonight & face the pain of returns! I must admit M and S was heaving so I didn't have a proper look there. Perhaps I am just too fussy?

Thank you for all the advice, no worries re thread hijack! grin

You will be better online - M&S bras really aren't that great! Try brastop, amazon, bravissimo, debenhams, mycurvesandme, Leia....all will have lots.

What sort of shape are your boobs - if you can tell us we can maybe suggest some good bras

rubyflipper Tue 30-Jul-13 21:51:46

I'll second Debenhams for bras - especially as some are up to 70% off. I bought two (a 36hh and 38h for £7 each) grin

JacqueslePeacock Wed 31-Jul-13 01:31:06

You can suggest bras by shape of boobs?! shock That would be great! What do you recommend for big and droopy (actually empty on the top after 2 years of BFing)?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now