You can never have too many ....

(67 Posts)
juneau Tue 23-Jul-13 15:01:05

According to one of the women in In Style magazine, this sentence should end with the word 'bikinis'. She claims to have 30 and to take them all away on holiday with her. Just the thought of shopping for 30 bikinis is enough to make me want to lie in a darkened room for a good couple of hours. So what can YOU never have to many of?

I'm thinking: baby wipes, spare pairs of pants, and bottles of champagne grin

You can definitely have too much silly fashion advice!

Allthingspretty Tue 23-Jul-13 20:15:54

Goodknickers
Good bras
Bags
Scarves
Flattering trousers

NoComet Tue 23-Jul-13 23:14:52

I can't conceive a single reason to own a black cashmere roll neck jumper, I'd probably be allergic to it. I am to all other types of wool as is DD1.

We spend our lives cursing quality knitwear and dreaming if acrylic.

doireallywant3 Wed 24-Jul-13 03:28:51

M&s tshirt bras in every colour, m&s brazilian knickers in every colour, black opaque tights, chap sticks (Apple flavour), white vests in various styles, (and shades of white) muslin squares and hair ties, those weird collar things for DH (that I mostly find in the washing machine randomly and not when he needs them at 7am), plain, pointy high heeled courts in all colours from Nine West or banana republic, any snakeskin things, umbrellas (never seems to have one anywheres or if I do it is bent or someone else's), am obsessed by back up duplicates (frequent travel, laziness preventing me from going to a diff room or bag to get something, also paranoia of being robbed or losing stuff) - Clinique mascara, more lip balm, other makeup and stuff.
Just got a lovely scarf in hush sale - lovely enough for me to wish away the sun, yikes
Lastly, and I am nearly over this and admitting the false economy of it - new look cheap shoes. Ballet flats in every colour
. They stink after about 3 wears but the cost 5quid and look ok

doireallywant3 Wed 24-Jul-13 03:32:32

Oops, forgot top shop baxter jeans, I have in 5 colours. Best jeans ever. Better than my £100+Paige skinnies. There was a lovely boden cashmere jumper I wore all the time and wish I had bought in all colours. Am a firm believer in finding something classic that flatters and buying all colours if you can

doireallywant3 Wed 24-Jul-13 03:43:05

3/4sleeve scoop tops from gap. They don't keep their shape too well but cheap enough not to mind stocking up once a year
Converse or supergas
Havanas from brazil (sentimental value, plus object to paying £18 in office for them!)
Cocktail rings from accessorize, had a recent obsession with these. Have 5.
On 3rd pair of aviator style shades (naught DS keeps ruining them). So far had mango (baggy arms), oasis (flimsy, didn't Survive a drop), Steve Madden from tkmax (DS Put them in a park bin, I couldn't Find them). Next time I find a good cheap pair I will buy 3 pairs. False economy?
Those bag sealer clips from ikea are great, you can never have too many!

doireallywant3 Wed 24-Jul-13 03:44:12

Mavala nail varnish. So tempting when waiting for a prescription. Cheaper than Chanel

doireallywant3 Wed 24-Jul-13 03:46:54

Inmyshreddies - where do you buy your tips from? I am forever in search of a good vest/basic top. Willing to spend more than the usual 3 for £10 now for something that will last

scripsi Wed 24-Jul-13 03:47:23

scarves
nail scissors
socks

doireallywant3 Wed 24-Jul-13 03:54:04

Nail clippers! Have to have a good pair
A good coat and a good bag, good wallet and nice keyring (ok, not that important at all, Just mentally scouting Tiffany)
Nice understated but quality jewellery that makes you feel good that you can jazz up with costume stuff
There is a nice book by ines de la fressange with good tips on dressing well http://www.amazon.co.uk/Parisian-Chic-Style-Guide-Fressange/dp/2080200739/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374634380&sr=8-1&keywords=ines+de+la+fressange+parisian+chic

ScumbagCollegeDropout Wed 24-Jul-13 04:20:34

Jeans
Geeky t-shirts
Converse

ShoeWhore Wed 24-Jul-13 04:39:54

Shoes!

InMyShreddies Wed 24-Jul-13 12:56:38

I don't know where's best to buy t-shirts and other plain basics, I am on an expensive learning curve at the moment.

Dorothy Perkins do good quality cotton basics that wash well, it comes down to whether the shapes are current enough and flattering. They are long in the body which is good.

I haven't really ventured into the world of 'premium' basics - it is so obviously a rip-off IMO, if DP can do 100% cotton for 2 for £8 then I don't see how spending £80 on Wang, Lang or anyone else will be superior.

I do like the feel of modal, but it's a nightmare to wash. And New Look and H and M sometimes come up trumps shapewise for cheap drapey (viscose) basics that look great but don't last long. I have two tees atm from Primark which are perfect in shape - one pale grey marl, fine poly/cotton mix with a pocket and a dip hem, which went misshapen the first wash (but it was only £3!) and the other is broadly similar in fabric but feels a bit thicker, has roll cap sleeves and more of a boxy shape and has maintained its shape perfectly. So not v predictable!

Uniqlo cotton basics are good in that they are nice colours and wash well, but they don't do 'fashion' shapes or fine fabrics really. On balance I think DP best from what I've tried.

madmomma Wed 24-Jul-13 15:16:32

day dresses,
brogues,
layering tops,
boots

earrings
lipsalve/lipglosses
Tshirts that cover my armpits (for those between waxing days blush )
ponytail bands
Philosophy Hope in a Jar

bras (especially this time of year) -

scented candles (Yankee Candles. For ambience)
soft eating licorice

T by Alexander Wang muscle vests
Goldsign virtual jeans
Uniqlo cashmere V necks

Lindor guilty pleasure
wine
Jeans
Coats all you see of my outfit in the winter
Long sleeved t shirts
Shoes
Accessories
Strawberries

Lucylloyd13 Wed 24-Jul-13 19:24:21

Bra and knicker sets
Shoes
Tights and stockings
Lipsticks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now