What's your best breakout remedy? My poor skin... I look like an aging teenager.

(30 Posts)
Jacksmania Sat 29-Jun-13 16:54:16

Help!

My skin is having a trauma. A combination of too much stress, not enough water, possibly not the best dietary choices, and heat (heat here and quite a bit of hot yoga).

Most of the above are in the process of being remedied (not the heat - we need the sun, Western Canada has been soaked, and I love my hot yoga), but in the mean time, I need your favourite zit-fighting products.

I do have good stuff to clean, exfoliate and moisturize my face don't I just sound like a Clinique ad, but I need something powerful to calm down and dry up these painful red inflamed volcanoes that are making me miserable.

Seriously. I never went through this in my teens. WHY NOOOOOOWWWWWWW?????

Jacksmania Tue 02-Jul-13 13:51:24

Thanks - I did actually have that about ten years ago, and somehow it cleared up by itself.
But I wouldn't choose take antibiotics for anything other than a real infection, they upset my insides too much.

babySophieRose Tue 02-Jul-13 10:19:39
DevonCiderPunk Mon 01-Jul-13 23:19:03

Would encourage anyone who suffers with spots to google peri-oral dermatitis. My GP diagnosed this & a course of antibiotics does the trick. had a spotty chin all my life until then (40 next year!) I agree with others that antibiotics shouldn't be taken lightly, but I had no side-effects, which was a relief as I usually get unpleasant ones & am even allergic to a couple.

hot flannel, la roche posay and then cold flannel to finish.

remove every scrap of make up at night - wipes don't work for people with skin like ours, you need a good hot scrub.

Only use non comodogenic make up such as Vichy dermablend

drink plenty of water

never get complacent when your skin improves - it only takes a week or two to slip back.

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Mon 01-Jul-13 23:09:05

LaRoche Posay Effaclar AI is the first spot treatment I've ever found that works and also doesn't make the area of skin look like red sandpaper.

Jacksmania Mon 01-Jul-13 18:10:12

Thanks all! <waves at Kahu> <mwah>

More good things to put on the to-try list smile

QuinnFabray Mon 01-Jul-13 07:19:46

Yes, La Roche Posay Effalcar. It's changed my skin.

Elemis lavender repair mask always calms down my breakouts and la Roche posay effaclar duo is good too.

Kahu Mon 01-Jul-13 06:10:57

Hey Jacks!

The Clinique Spot treatment gel stuff is great - just put it on the blemishes though, not all over.
I have been washing my face with Burts Bees Willow Bark face wash & it's lovely & fresh in this heat. Willow Bark is where salicylic acid comes from IIRC.

Neurogena 3-in-1 Stress Control Spot Treatment is also fab - also contains salicylic acid & is a very light gel/lotion moisturiser - perfect for summer.

Also really recomend those Clarisonic brush things - you can get them at Sephora & the Bay. Expensive but amazing for problem skin.

Is your sunscreen causing breakouts too? Neutrogena Ultra-Sheer Water Light from Shoppers is the only one I have found that doesn't cause massive breakouts on my face & believe me & have tried them all!

I recently started using Rocky Mountain Soap face products on my crappy skin & the results have been amazing. The cleanser is oil-based so I'm not liking it so much in this weather but the toner is gorgeous in the heat. Sorry too hot & bothered to do links! smile

Jacksmania Mon 01-Jul-13 04:03:29

Klaxon!!!! grin

Ok, going to order some.

freerangeeggs Sun 30-Jun-13 17:52:36

TCP is great. It really helps to stop blemishes forming too. And for the price I think it's definitely worth a try.

I always stick some on after I squeeze too :P

Jacksmania Sun 30-Jun-13 15:36:48

I am going to vastly improve my diet as soon as the long weekend is over (Canada Day holiday tomorrow, no point in starting this w/e) and I know that helps. Helps with PMT, too, which is really bad this month.

freerangeeggs, apparently I can order TCP on Amazon! And from some British expat sites. It's really that good??

Yama Sun 30-Jun-13 15:31:30

I gave up sugar in January and my skin has never looked better. I'm talking bread, pasta, anything processed.

I used to think breakouts were caused by stress but in my case it was definitely sugar.

Jacksmania Sun 30-Jun-13 15:28:32

Ok, have got the Clinique spot treatment, and also bought their tinted spot clearing stuff for day time.

Let's see how this works. Will keep the LaRoche Posau line in mind though!

I don't think I could bring myself to take antibiotics for several months. Due to complications with DS's birth I had several courses of ABs in the first few months and my insides suffered enormously. It was so bad, I think I'd rather put stuff on my face first and see how that works.

Rose water is good if tea tree is too harsh. I only use tea tree direct on MASSIVE zits now, but luckily I am not prone to breakouts.

I did have shitty skin as a teen though, so don't feel too jealous!

I tried everything and it just kept getting worse. I mentioned it to my gp and she took one look and said it looked like acne so put me on 3 months of tetralysal. I've only been on it a few weeks but my skin is improving gradually.

Gutting though, I got through my teens with perfect skin and now I have bloody acne as an adult!

Ask your doctor to have a look, if it's bacterial in origin no creams will help, you need a course of abs.

freerangeeggs Sun 30-Jun-13 11:58:42

I have suffered from shitty skin my entire life. The best thing for a breakout is TCP.

I know it's not FDA approved so you can't buy it in the US; not sure about Canada though.

lavenderpekins Sun 30-Jun-13 10:49:01

A course of antibiotics is the only thing thats helped me.. I was the same, great skin as a teenager then pregnancy and turning 30 - bam - worst skin ever!

ChocolateCremeEggBag Sun 30-Jun-13 10:21:58

Tea tree oil applied straight on them - vv harsh but it does seem to calm down an outbreak

westendgirl780 Sun 30-Jun-13 08:34:13

La Roche posay effaclar range, especially the duo treatment. Cannot recommend enough, miraculous stuff.

Feathercroft Sat 29-Jun-13 22:09:57

Aloe vera Gelly applied as often as need. Works!

BoomChicaBoom Sat 29-Jun-13 18:50:14

Something else that I've found to work well is Origins spot remover or something like that - comes in a little blue bottle. Best overnight though and can sting a bit if an open wound, but it works!
Or, put some crushed up aspirin on it, which is salicylic acid - the active ingredient in many spot creams.

Jacksmania Sat 29-Jun-13 18:39:25

My Sudocrem days are behind me grin (DS is 5.5) but I'll go get some. My local chemist's also has Clinique. Thank you!

Until I get there, I'll try lemon juice.

eviekingston Sat 29-Jun-13 18:31:03

Clinique anti blemish solution - can't remember proper name but it's in a little bottle about 4"" high, cost about £15 if I remember rightly but you only use a TINY bit. Can be very drying but I think it's really effective if you use it sparingly.

minibmw2010 Sat 29-Jun-13 17:55:20

Sudocream or witch hazel work well For me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now