A Rachel. A friggin Rachel.

(68 Posts)
catslave Tue 23-Apr-13 19:03:57

The title says it all. I have been growing my hair for a year, after I had massive hormone problems, half dropped out, and I had it cut from armpit length to jawbone length.

It had finally made it to my collarbone, partly because I avoided the hairdresser for 6 months (except for 6 weekly grey-terminating root jobs). So I thought I'd book a trim. I am an idiot, the hairdresser is an idiot, and I now sport a Rachel from Friends circa 1996 crap hairdo. I am gutted.

I have thick slightly wavy hair, and if they cut in layers (which I always expressly say 'don't') the top ones turn in at the base, while the bottom layer flicks out. I look like a 90s mushroom. Bwaaah, sob sob.

If anyone else has hairdresser inflicted bad hair then please come and join my massive pity party. I have streamers and wine

singaporeswing England Sat 27-Apr-13 09:15:19

I had a Rachel for AGES - found that curling it with straighteners really helped, made it look less flicky and more bouncy, gets rid of the mushroom effect too.

I've now got ridiculously long hair and refuse to get it cut. Obviously traumatised by the Rachel.

catslave Thu 25-Apr-13 22:39:46

It looks much better now it has been washed and Babylissed to death

Less like a Rachel, anyway - dear god, why did he flick out the bottom layer when he dried it??

I do struggle with the notion that thick fine hair needs layers or it will turn into a triangle. Mine seems to do better for being all the same length and blunt cut. When I have layers, it seems to puff up like a massive Polly Pocket helmet.

I hate my hair.

Is the rachel due for a comeback? My friends were talking about it recently, we were too young at the time but were discussing if now is the time for a revival - i forgot it was so mushroomy i pity you all with your foisted on rachels sad

curmit Thu 25-Apr-13 19:05:30

ah sympathies. Pituitary, and Wiggy. ;)

Absy Thu 25-Apr-13 16:55:52

And this is why I continue to go to the same hairdresser who is expensive, but has never given me a bad hair cut. Even the time he cut it quite short (and I cried at home afterwards and refused to go out) turned out to be inspired. I DREAD a bad hair cut.

I'm currently sporting the worst fringe known to mankind.

I don't even have a hairdresser to blame. my fucking mother did it.

Luckily my hair grows fast.

ENormaSnob Thu 25-Apr-13 16:47:15

Rather a Rachel than the Brian may/Russell brand hybrid I was given a few years ago sad

catslave Thu 25-Apr-13 15:02:00

curmit - pituitary failure, so thyroid, oestrogen deficiency, cortisol deficiency... you name it. My hair was actually fine until they discovered the problem and replaced everything, then it went into mad growth phase and all the old crappy stuff dropped out.

Anyway, i wish I could say the Rachel was my worst haircut. That gies to something resembling this:

www.wiggyexperience.co.uk/

Wiggy from Hitman and Her shows age

ATJabberwocky Thu 25-Apr-13 10:19:45

I sympathise, I always get told I have the face for a bob cut, I hate bob-cuts!

DuchessFanny Thu 25-Apr-13 10:15:02

People love my hair, it is shiny and straight, and looks healthy, but this does not stop it looking totally shite with the wrong cut -- years back i too had a 'two styles' haircut, you know, the one with a bob, but longer bits underneath .. DH said i looked like the alien from Mars Attacks (not good)

And just recently had an awful haircut. My hair is super straight and fine, and i'd had it cut from bra length to shoulder a few months previously, and it looked nice ... my usual hairdresser was giving me a 'trim', next thing i know it's up my neck and all sorts of lengths, bits poking out,the lot .. i was not happy ... ended up ringing a much more expensive salon and getting their last appointment of the night ( had to was going away the next day with the girls and couldn't go with shit hair !!) and he transformed it into a sleek shiny gorge 'do' had nothing but compliments ! however, it's still too short for my taste, so now doing the whole tedious growing out !

Know a girl with a wispy fringe and every time i see her i think 'no, no, no'

Ahem <does a twirl> blush

Daffyboobface Wed 24-Apr-13 23:45:45

Three words.

Tinsel wig fringe.

I hate her.

ArtexMonkey Wed 24-Apr-13 22:48:19

Xposts throughgritted.

ArtexMonkey Wed 24-Apr-13 22:47:33

That's no good..

Me oh Myra!

The wispy fringe is exactly why I cut my own fringe these days. Even my best mate who cut my hair for years couldn't bloody get it right.

I stopped her cutting my hair a while ago though and had my hair cut for the first time by someone else recently and I love it! It is a bit triangular BUT it suits my face and I've had lots of compliments does a twirl grin

Thewhingingdefective Wed 24-Apr-13 22:40:12

No I bloody don't, Artex, but every chuffing hairstyle I request results in a Myra. Must be my default do. All that blow drying....

ArtexMonkey Wed 24-Apr-13 22:37:57

Do you go in and ask for 'a Myra' whinging?

Thewhingingdefective Wed 24-Apr-13 22:33:45

OP, count yourself lucky. I always leave hairdressing salons with a Myra Hindley do.

Wereonourway Wed 24-Apr-13 22:30:22

Oh and it's not the same, but kind of is.

Has anyone else noticed the hair on the midwife on one born every minute? The one with auburn hair? Like a triangle but a truly magnificent volumetric triangle?!

Does she do it on purpose? I hope someone knows who I mean

Wereonourway Wed 24-Apr-13 22:28:29

Bear- I have just wet myself laughing at your post. 2 haircuts in one. Haha!

ArtexMonkey Wed 24-Apr-13 22:18:36

Fucking hell, thinning scissors. Is there anyone who they are a friend to?

I think Fellatio said it all really. Look for updos and how to do vintage stuff like beehives or rag/pin curls on Pinterest, try and detract attention and change the mushroom shape.

StickyProblem Wed 24-Apr-13 21:32:42

Apparently it's a common problem! I just found this
link

curmit Wed 24-Apr-13 21:27:17

p.s. OP was it your thyroid? That happened to me sad

curmit Wed 24-Apr-13 21:26:34

I NEVER go to the hairdressers, well hardly ever, because they never do what you ask!! I really want to have mine styled again but am too scared to go as I just know they will do the opposite of what I ask.

Once, I went for a colour, and explicitly said, nothing that had red or purple tones to it. I came out with purple hair.

Another time, a hairdresser used permanent dye not semi permanent, about 6 shades darker than my natural colour.

The last time I had it cut, I asked for a thick fringe, not wispy as have naturally curly hair and it would just frizz. She cut it thin and said 'in case i didn't like it, it would grow out quicker' But I'd asked for it thick, I HATE thin wispy fringes, and that's what I got.

They just do what they want to do and don't listen to you in the slightest.

Errrrmagherd. Was that a rant?

chibi Wed 24-Apr-13 21:16:04

i don't know anyone irl with hair like mine- superthick and wavy leaning towards curly.everyone i know has got nice well behaved naturally straight fine hair so there is no one i can ask for a recommendation. they all say, ooh, well most places are good, aren't they?

<head explodes>

i have had my hair violently thinned with thinning scissors. there are no words.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now