Frugal Follow-up

(594 Posts)
FrugalFashionista Sat 20-Apr-13 18:44:20

We've hopelessly lost the old thread. How are you doing ladies?

I need to reawaken the thread as I need to get back on the wagon. I decided to temporarily suspend my shopping ban - it's summery here and I've started wearing summer clothes and I decided to make some purchases now so that I can wear them all season long (in low 20s it's still a bit too cool for my routine sleeveless dress/bare legs summer look). Most of my old summer clothes are in great shape but this is what I needed to update them -

1. white jeans (have lots of denim shirts and blue tops) - straight-leg, non see-through wink
2. colorful printed cigarette pants (my wardrobe is mostly solid colors - I want to wear prints but not near my face) - found a pair in my favorite colors from MSMG <love>
3. sandals (bored of ballet flats and Havaianas) - black cage wedges, low-rent child-friendly version of the Altuzarra look
4. slingbacks (found a lovely two-tone white/taupe pair on sale)
5. a few bracelets to liven things up

I'm still looking for a couple of high-quality white or cream tops, scoop neck if possible. They seem to be the hardest item to find, but my refound Zara poly-viscose top is surprisingly versatile. Still thinking about a long and narrow snakeprint silk scarf in my best blues and also need to make a decision regarding nude/taupe courts (to go with my summer cocktail dresses).

Spring lasted for 3-4 weeks here and coincided with my 1-month shopping ban. By thinking a bit harder and digging a bit deeper I was able to find all spring outfits I ever needed without any spending! Summer will be around until the end of October so I hope that I will get quite a lot of wear out of my mix of old and new. But I think I'm almost done with wardrobe updates and might go back to tight-fist mode very soon wink

daimbardiva Mon 29-Apr-13 13:45:15

My staples:
- skinny jeans
- red checked lumberjack style shirt
- brown ankle boots
- black m&s spaghetti strap vests (am always cold)
- grey cabled cadhmere mix cardigan (ad above!)

I am sick to death of cardigans, I have to say. I always end up bunging one on over whatever I'm wearing and often feel it ruins the look I was going for. But unless I either become more tolerant of the cold or move somewhere warmer, it's just a fact of life!

I'm wearing black skinnies, an olive green v neck and brown brogues today. I'm at work so it's smart enough but doesn't feel 'me'. I totally struggle w keeping an element of personal style ehile at work and im not sure why as I'm not particularly 'out there' normally but I do feel dull at work. ..

FrugalFashionista Mon 29-Apr-13 19:41:37

Fleeces, how to wear
*Pick one in your absolutely best color <mine is watermelon>
*Put on a catsuit
*Accessorize with a silver chain bracelet, earpods and Goretex trainers
*Put your most flattering lipstick
*Smile and try to ignore the gorgeous men smiling back
<loving my fleece>

Teta dirt is white here. Still loving the blue men's shirt today, my new go-to!
CeeCee great tips!
Daimbar I often struggle with work looks too. Work is often travel associated for me and my preference for hand luggage only and maximalist fashion tendencies are on a collision course.

DigWeedSow Tue 30-Apr-13 08:52:38

Frugal You even make wearing a fleece sound glamorous! grin

I've been looking back over April to see how I've done on the clothes shopping front and have purchased....
Navy/ivory Breton
Taupe vest
Stone linen biker cardigan
Dark straight jeans
Ivory/navy striped scarf
Navy v neck t shirt
Stone ballet flats
Leopard ballet flats
Leopard slipper flats
I have also ordered but not received a pewter satchel and two lace tops.

Not particularly frugal sad however my shopping habits do tend to follow a pattern where I splurge at the beginning of each season when I change my wardrobe over, usually April and September. I'm hoping that for the rest of spring/summer I will have to buy very little. I'm hoping that May will be a no spend month but with two trips away and my BF wanting me to join her on a shopping trip later in the week I will have be VERY strong!!!

How did you all do in April?

Parisisalwaysagoodidea Tue 30-Apr-13 09:38:22

Black trousers (For a funeral sad so an unexpected purchase)
Silk shirt
Trainers
Skort!
Amazing shoes (DH bought them for me though. Do they count?)

I am like you Dig. I plan what I need and stick to it, usually buying at the beginning of the season and then nothing until the next. I'm not a fan of the sales.

teta Tue 30-Apr-13 09:51:57

One pair of leopard sneakers.Some Charli linen t shirts due to be delivered from Brand Alley in 28 days.So does that count as expenditure this month or next month?
I don't think i actually need anything.Having ironed the contents of my laundry pile i now have about 6 silk shirts.Plus about 10 t shirts in assorted summer colours.Maybe some chinos could be useful.

VioletGoesVintage Tue 30-Apr-13 10:16:12

My April list is:

Navy cowl neck short-sleeved tee
Navy lace short-sleeved tee (this was my most recent purchase, Frugal; although it's not pure cotton, which would've been my preference, it has a high percentage, and it's a good, heavy material and hangs really well. I've already worn it, and I love it.)

I've also ordered, with a big discount, a sleeveless ruched tee in a blue/ grey colour. It should go with lots of things I already own, is 100% cotton and, if it's like others I have worn by the same label, will be a really good length on me. If it doesn't tick the right boxes, it's free returns so, either way grin.

The more I look at what I buy, and what I'm attracted to but manage to resist, the more I realise I do have a "signature" style. Which is good, I guess.

However I'm also a happy fleece owner and proud wearer when the occasion demands: early morning horse rides, gardening, hiking....although, come to think of it, there hasn't been much hiking since the DC arrived on the scene - unless endless walking to persuade Bad Sleeper DC1 to Have. A. Bloody. Nap. counted. Five years later, and I swear I still have the eye bags.

VioletGoesVintage Tue 30-Apr-13 10:17:25

Oh, and a Zatchel's saddle bag, which hasn't been dispatched and thus not yet paid for.

Hopefully Tue 30-Apr-13 10:30:49

Dig and Paris I'm not much of a sales shopper either, unless it's something really non-seasonal that I'll get good use from, like my beloved LK Bennett Florete heels, or basic t-shirts. I'm such a planner though that it's rare that I happen to have any gaps in my wardrobe at sale time.

My outfit is dull dull dull today as I am trying not to wear any of my clothes as I want to sort through my wardrobe, and it's so much easier if all my clothes are in front of me rather than on my body! So old waterfall cardigan and topshop jeggings, and a not-quite-long-enough racer back vest which I think might get culled.

mirpuppet Tue 30-Apr-13 11:39:44

My top5 -- hard to say

1. Casual Dresses -- textured cotton ones I love & also jersey dresses
2. Leggings or tights to keep my legs warm
3. brogues (in winter it was ankle boots but they made my feet hurt)
4. heattech shirts to keep me warm under cotton dresses in winter
5. Coat or Jacket

mirpuppet Tue 30-Apr-13 11:45:46

Doing some wardrobe clearing today.

Over the weekend I put items that I have never worn on Ebay and I must say I am thinking about delisting them and keeping the items.

Rationally I know I should let them go -- they are not quite right. But several have many people watching so it is making me think I should keep it because so many people are interested in the items.

I need some encouragement to stay on the straight and narrow path and not hold on to things that I'm not wearing or using.

FrugalFashionista Tue 30-Apr-13 11:57:10

Mir sell them! You can get something even nicer with the funds!

Bbl, superbusy, suffice it to say that I'm currently rocking the mumsy look - demure floral top, dainty jewelry, white straight-leg jeans, and sensible and comfy white loafers.

Out and proud and my mother would approve grin

ChablisLover Tue 30-Apr-13 12:06:25

still trying to be frugal but have ended up buying 2 bras from figleaves as mine are dying a death and they were the cheapest for the bras I wear

Plus still selling on ebay so hopefully going strong and being frugal

and rediscovering old things in wardrobe so much so DH new saying is is that new? when its just something i havent worn in a long time or never worn

Decameron Tue 30-Apr-13 12:20:35

Hi there. I lurk occasionally. I'm trying to be more sensible but I'm not frugal, I'm afraid. Anyway, Teta, just wanted to say that I have two linen Charli tops, lovely shape and seem to be wearing well.

DigWeedSow Tue 30-Apr-13 13:00:14

Well you've all done far better than I have this month in terms of being frugal, in my defence all but one of the purchases were planned. The unplanned were the leopard pony skin slippers which were a bargain buy at only £14.

The lace t shirts have arrived and are lovely, one is a deep teal the other sea green and so are perfect colours for me. They will be staying as they plug a gap in my wardrobe for smartish everyday tops.

After reading the thread re the Bangladeshi factory tragedy I am now even more determined to shop less and when I do so more wisely. At the moment I really have no need for anything new and am sure that I could make it through the summer without the need to buy any further clothing.

Just back from yoga so wearing black yoga pants and a pea green t shirt, very boring but oh so comfy smile

AphraBehn Tue 30-Apr-13 13:19:10

I've already confessed to my April buys, so far they are all working well for me. I'm still excited about working through the different combinations which feels like a new outfit everytime.

Not quite convinced that they're not mumsy though...

FrugalFashionista Tue 30-Apr-13 15:36:57

Confessions coming up or not during the weekend...

Outfit panic - a hot muggy day here and trying to remember what I wore two months ago to assemble a coherent travel wardrobe for 10C daytime highs. Have to be comfortable in the taxi flying out (hot weather) and warm for 48hrs somewhere where it's going to be very cold but dry. And would prefer hand luggage only...

Have several choices and all of them involve indigo jeans, sweaters and scarves confused Would like to wear navy suede loafers but fear it's going to be ankle boots... <falls off the high horse> Actually I'd love to wear my bright cigarette pants with a blue corduroy jacket and black cage sandals <dream on> Have completely forgotten how damn hard it's to wear a jacket under a coat.

Oh and before leaving also attending a quick party tonight. For some reason that seems very simple and straightforward...

I keep going out with the intention of shopping but I just can't find anything that I really want to buy. I desperately want some new dresses but I just can't find anything in my preferred colours so I keep coming home empty handed. The most extravagant thing I've bought in the last week and a half is an MUA eye shadow palette and that was £4!

I've bought virtually nothing this month and am quite impressed confused by how much some of you buy! It's partly because I'm still doing Project 333 and partly because I had been holding off until I had my colours done.

I managed to have a look round H&M when I was in town the other day, but didn't actually buy anything as I didn't have my colour swatches with me <sad>. However I'm planning to get to a different branch of H&M in the next week to buy some basics.

However DP and I had a bit of a charity shop trawl on Saturday and I bought a red 3/4 sleeve top and a turquoise pointelle (not sure if that is the right word) skirt, which is too big and long but I want to have a go at taking it apart and sewing an A line skirt. So my shopping total currently stands at £8!

ShirleySharpeyes Tue 30-Apr-13 21:15:14

Hello, been hectic here with work and life in general, which is good, as it means less time to browse and shop online...I have skimmed through - and so glad to see this thread still alive...
My total spend for April was £100 in the Toast sale, I have worn all already (except the £10 bikini which is stashed for our UK holiday in June <deluded>).
My five top items through the winter actually reflect how much time I spend in very rural parts of the world for work, where comfort and warmth out way any need for sartorial elegance so: Goldsign straight leg indigo jeans (sale bargain from January trip to big city), Didriksons parka (best investment ever), conker brown hand-made knee length boots (made by a friend, they're 11 years old and still beautiful leather, not elegant but so comfy and suitable for all terrains!), huge cashmere woven scarf and sludgy green boat neck wool jumper. My life feels very, very removed from Frugal's!
Can't remember who said they were buying Dylon - but me too! I've found two summer shirts and a skirt that I never wear as they are the wrong colour - will compare notes when it arrives and I've stuffed it all in the machine.
Also increasingly considering trying Project 333 - are you finding it easy and helpful QoW?
The only thing I'm allowed to buy in May is underwear, my bras are in a very sad state of affairs, but I find bra shopping terribly dull and would much prefer to spend the money on necklaces, scarves or shoes instead!

DigWeedSow Wed 01-May-13 10:41:52

Good morning, a new month, a new start!

I have decided after last months splurge that May will definitely be a no shopping month. Will be put through my paces tomorrow as I am meeting a friend who wants to go shopping for summer clothes.

Frugal It's been 10c here for a while (actually is crept to 12c today!) and indigo jeans, sweaters and scarves have been my wardrobe staples, suede loafers will be fine as long as its dry.

I'm trying to put a capsule wardrobe together for a few days away at the end of the week. It's our longest break away without DS13 (have only ever done one night away) so I'm quite excited.

I'm also interested to hear how you're finding Project 333 QoW Have you included shoes and accessories in with your 33 items?

teta Wed 01-May-13 12:22:08

I also had to go bra shopping yesterday.Tried on about 20 sports bras in M & S.Eventually found 2 that were ok and didn't give me enormous jutting out bosoms or flatten me like a pancake.Some really bizarre bras there though.Why would anyone want heavily padded sports bras when they're d cup or bigger?I also wanted my standard t shirt bra that is light and comfortable[hate wearing bras]only to find out they have stopped stocking it.Why oh why do they do this?

ShirleySharpeyes Wed 01-May-13 12:28:14

M&S are hopeless in my opinion, I tried on over ten and couldn't find one that was perfect, I thought I was just a strange shape, but after lurking on the bra threads it appears others have the same problem. Triumph do good basic t-shirt bras and they are uber comfy, but they are expensive, so I shall just have to wait for a figleaves code or similar.
First load of dylon is in the machine right now - so I shall have an olive green cotton jumper, blouse and scarf within the hour!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 01-May-13 13:37:37

Well, I'm sending my white jeans back. 10s too big, 8s too small. Pmt water retentions not helping either.

I think I might just buy a pair from river island instead.

Justonemorecardi Thu 02-May-13 12:55:09

In the spirit of this thread, has anyone had knitwear altered by a tailor?

I have a lovely knitted jacket/cardi but its at least size too big. I phoned a tailor who said he thought he could do it and to bring it in. Will it look great? As it was quite expensive I can sell on so don't want to be in the position of having to bin it, but the style is lovely.

I must confess to shopping today. I only bought what I needed though. My shopping haul today was:
A black wrap dress ( had to size down!)
A pair of blue skinny jeans ( they fit perfectly)
A pair of flat black sandals
One black maxi skirt with belt
A pair of cropped leggings
One oversized vest with rockets printed on it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now