Tea Dresses

(29 Posts)
Gales Fri 12-Apr-13 11:56:14

I ready an article recently that said this was "the only dress you'll ever need"

I like them and I see that they can be great on the young or edgy with chunky shoes or pumps and denim/leather etc, but on a middle aged mum don't they look, well, middle aged and mumsy?

JakeBullet Fri 12-Apr-13 12:01:16

Overpriced and only suit a certain shape IMHO....they definitely wouldn't suit me.

And why are they called "tea dress" anyway...makes them sound twee, middle class and a bit fraightfully naice!

I am sure they are lovely if you have the figure and the money but they seem overpriced.

Not envious at all that I wouldn't look good in one.

Gales Fri 12-Apr-13 12:04:27

Doesn't everywhere have them atm, so you can find one in any budget?

I'm not thinking of the Bottega Veneta one in the article. That would keep in clothes for about 3 years!!

Hmm I was wondering the same recently and I think it depends on the cut and pattern. I'm not middle aged but I find that certain types of tea dresses make me look frumpy and mumsy.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Fri 12-Apr-13 12:12:49

I love a tea dress, joe browns have some beautiful ones.
I'd wear one every day if I could

TWinklyLittleStar Fri 12-Apr-13 12:14:37

I love a tea dress. Although when I was younger I went to visit my granny and she was wearing one that I owned. Hmm.

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Fri 12-Apr-13 12:55:40

I love tea dresses, I find that there is a lot of variety to choose from, some of which I love, others I will hate. I sometimes have them shortened to make a sort of mini tea dress which I find looks younger and more modern.

Gales Fri 12-Apr-13 12:58:07

Jake, I have always thought that they were called tea dresses, because originally (in the 40s/50s?0 they were for going to tea in. Pretty and "nice" but not as dressy as Sunday best or evening wear. No idea if that's right!

Pinkflipflop Fri 12-Apr-13 12:58:45

Care to link to some nice ones!!?

Gales Fri 12-Apr-13 13:00:33

Well I was nearly right! of the tea gown

YoniOno Fri 12-Apr-13 13:03:14

I can't stand them! They just look so twee, not in any way fashionable and yes mumsy. Hate them with a passion. They are considered edgy if worn with leggings and a long cardigan I think hmm

Sorry blush I had to release my pent-up vitriol at them - people seem to love them on here though so am in a minority. They are far worse than tunics though IMHO.

Pinkflipflop Fri 12-Apr-13 13:07:51

is this a tea dress?

I've just ordered it, so must be a mumsy frump!!!

And...it's Boden!!

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Fri 12-Apr-13 14:19:08

I have this one and don't think it's frumpy or anything.

3.bp.blogspot.com/-EMLpF2cWPao/TmZ5-fETyuI/AAAAAAAAAcg/-ipYV6A4CPM/s1600/top+shop.jpg

I have this one and have had loads of compliments and it really flatters my huge norks.

I'm wearing it today with black opaques and heels and a black cardi but if the weather ever improves I will wear it will wedge sandles.

MadBusLady Fri 12-Apr-13 16:13:47

If they're cut right they make me look like a slip of a thing, even though I am nearly 5'8 and a norky hour glass. Love them. Tunics, on the other hand, age me about 20 years.

EeyoreIsh Fri 12-Apr-13 16:17:29

oooh, I love a tea dress. I have a gorgeous navy polka dot one with buttons all the way down the front, in chiffon silk. I love love love it.

sadly I need to lose a few kilos before I'll fit into it again. sad

LadyMountbatten Fri 12-Apr-13 16:19:41

I hate em. Polyester naff ness

LadyMountbatten Fri 12-Apr-13 16:20:36

I'm with yoni. Are never flattering. Make even the slenderest look like a heffa

mumofthemonsters808 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:25:52

I really like them but I agree it does depend upon the fit.Sometimes I find they look very pretty on the hanger but when I try them on they are too short but baggy at the top.Love the Top Shop dress and the black one, not sure if the Boden dress is a tea dress.I've seen all shapes and sizes and different age groups looking lovely in them.

MadBusLady Fri 12-Apr-13 16:30:25

same problem, I love all Topshop dresses on the hanger but on my height they look like babydoll nighties - a bit too short and waist in totally the wrong place sad

LadyMountbatten Fri 12-Apr-13 16:35:11

Plus ugly black leggings.

Not chic.

onedev Fri 12-Apr-13 16:37:04

I think they look lovely although don't wear them myself as they do make me look (& feel!) mumsy!!

noddyholder Fri 12-Apr-13 16:42:44

this one looks a nice shape

EeyoreIsh Fri 12-Apr-13 17:42:17

as with most clothes, I think it's all about the cut. a well cut tea dress will flatter, particular those that are large of norkage, those with a little tummy or those with an hourglass.

I don't think they suit those that are really skinny.

I like tea dresses personally. I think they can look great when worn with the right kind of thing. I have a few and wear them with opaques and ballet flats. Length is usually not a problem for me at only five foot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now