How do some woman manage to look like they're really wealthy?

(273 Posts)
Whatisthepointoffriendships Sun 07-Apr-13 14:24:05

When they're not? I'm fascinated.

My friend is like it; they don't have much money and she wears very simple outfits and doesn't buy many clothes but she always looks amazing.

Anyone else know anyone like it?

Filofax Thu 18-Apr-13 23:03:44

Toasted, you have a section devoted to Bretons! I will try not to stalk you just watch with interest. Love your tumblr.

Justonemorecardi Thu 18-Apr-13 21:04:28

Toasted, your tumblr is gorgeous - love your Mulberry Lily - do you mind me asking is it the small or medium one?

Absy Tue 16-Apr-13 12:55:38

I've been thinking about this (as how to look well put together, rather than "wealthy") and I have some ideas.

I have one colleague who always looks lovely, but she shops almost exclusively in places like H&M, Next (we have jokes about her wearing polyester), Primark etc. She's VERY careful about being coordinated, and very good at it. So if she wears say, a plain black dress with a floral printed scarf, her nails and shoes will match the pink in the scarf etc. etc. She's also very good at picking out stuff which looks more expensive than it is. The other day she was wearing these gorgeous, antique-y filigree earrings, so we asked where they were from "oh, some small shop somewhere. They cost £2". I would NEVER have thought that.
And, she also does the things listed here:
- hair is always neatly done (e.g. today in a high bun)
- make up neat and discrete (just some foundation to even out skin tone, a bit of blush, slick of eyeliner - it's not surprising she's obsessed with Bobby Brown stuff)

Frostybean Tue 16-Apr-13 00:29:04

This has been said about me, much to my amusement. Ive known people barge past other people at parties in order to speak to me, assuming Im rich, then watching their face fall as they realise Im common, know nobody and grew up in a semi in the midlands grin My old hairdresser said that she assumed I had servants or staff when she first met me confused I dont wear designer clothes so thats not it and Im not thin. I dont wear jewellery or a posh watch either (cheap Fossil jobby) and I have a regional accent.
I find that the proper posh/rich just have a certain deportment that sets them apart from the rest of us. Theyd look good in a hessian blanket. Carolyn Bassette Kennedy springs to mind.

I love my wedge trainers, i don't care if they make me look like a common floozy!

Also, those Charlotte Olympia kitty flats bother the hell out of me. Really not worth the cost for a gimmick, and I can't say they look terribly durable either. I always wonder who would buy this crap just because it's high end. And then i see bloggers traipsing around in them......and weep.

as a look.

Exactly santa that park avenue princess look does nothing for me, and actually, I don't find it terribly stylish as look - too predictable.

Owllady Mon 15-Apr-13 16:13:27

tbf though, I mean glam/classy rather than well off

lots of well orf ladies here, they live in barbour and quilted stuff with massive handbags and bright red lipstick OR they are wearing dirty muddy jodpurs and stink of horses (more likely)

Owllady Mon 15-Apr-13 16:12:08

I think you always have to spend more money on a good coat and shoes

most other stuff I think you can get away with with accessorising and 'dressing' well iykwim

I look terrible in 'classic' clothes. I look far better just dressing a bit goth/rock chick. It just seems to work for me. Looking 'wealthy' can be very deceptive, some people look a million dollars dressed in Primark head to toe. As long as people like what they are wearing, I don't think it matters what anyone else thinks.

santamarianovella Mon 15-Apr-13 15:36:24

i think what amber mentioned is the most boring degree of wealthy.
camel coats+cream blouses = park avenue princess.
its very discreet but too boring and bland.
im not british,but i really admire and love the way young british women dress,they have a distinctive style.it can be very chic and safe except for a tattered and beaten up pair of boots or leather jacket,or a scarf in a really crazy print.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 15-Apr-13 13:27:32

I am a fairly classic dresser - I can't do many things that I do like, eg, wedge trainers. And hobo/boho wink just doesn't work on me at all.

But yes we all need to dress to suit our own style/body/lifestyle and just have fun with it.

TheYoniOfYawn Mon 15-Apr-13 13:24:37

Boho, not hobo.

TheYoniOfYawn Mon 15-Apr-13 13:24:04

I think those things are only boring on the wrong person. I have one friend who has a fantastic hobo style - deep red hair, plenty of bright lipstick, vintage clothes, unusual hats. Put her in a camel trouser suit and natural make up and all her natural sparkle and vibrancy would be gone and she would look dull. I have another friend who has classic English rose colouring with wavy blonde hair and dresses in jeans/wide leg trousers, neutral tops and maybe a scarf. Her way of dressing looks fabulous, drawing attention to her glowing skin, piercing blue-grey eyes, and stunning cheekbones. Dress her in the boho look my other friend wears, and she looks tacky, like someone in fancy dress. It's all about dressing to suit your own face, body and personality.

Agree, if looking expensive is swishing around in camel coats and cream silk shirts then that ain't for me. A. I'd look hideous because those colours really bring out the touch of jaundice in me and B. how boring?!

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 15-Apr-13 12:55:08

Yes I think you're right yoni.

Toasted - am now obsessively scouring the zara site wink

MostFamousMonkey Mon 15-Apr-13 12:54:15

I'm at an age now where I actually want to look 'chic and elegant'. Never thought it would happen as I've always had a slightly eclectic (or scruffy, in my case) look. But I've now entered my 50's and although some of my contemporaries can still carry off a boho or eclectic look extremely well, it's not working for me.
Making changes to my wardrobe to bring in some classic pieces, but they are actually quite hard to find.
The challenge for me is how to do without looking bland and boring.

scarlet76 Mon 15-Apr-13 12:52:25

Toasted your comment about the genuine wealthy not giving 2 shits reminded me of an old male friend. He's from a very wealthy family, was privately educated etc.. Whenever we went down the pub, the rest of us would make a bit of an effort but he would turn up in faded old jeans, deck shoes, an old stripe shirt and a posh watch. I don't think he possessed a hairbrush. The notion of looking wealthy would not even be on his radar. But he simply is and does look genuinely wealthy.

TheYoniOfYawn Mon 15-Apr-13 12:47:50

I think that most of us on this thread don't mean "wealthy" at all, but are using it as a sort of shorthand for "chic and elegant" in a way that most of the wealthy people I know aren't.

MrsCB, I love the blouse! I really like her colour palette this season - the raspberry tones and purples and those swirly, marbled patterns. Not really something I can afford to indulge in generally, but glad I purchased this.

The Zara sandals are still available aren't they? I usually ponder over things until they're sold out....story of my life!

I agree with MrsCB and Foxysocks above.
The question is 'why' would we wish to look wealthier? I do like nice things though, that can't be denied!grin But I am somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of showing off wealth, even if I don't possess it. I am a little bit afraid of looking desperate, I think, because as someone noted earlier in the thread many genuinely wealthy folks tend to not give two shits. And there's no real prescribed uniform, is there? Surely the things we lust after now are still driven by some sort of 'trend', and I definitely think that the 'wealthy' look is a current favourite, esp in the land of tumblr and pinterest, most likely accelerated by the likes of Emmanuelle Alt, etc.

I am surprised by how many very young girls covet Chanel, Celine, etc. In the 90's when I was a teen/early 20's we loathed the posh look and would never have dreamed of trying to emulate a royal! I think that the media, driven by the internet has brought awareness of extremely wealthy well dressed people to the masses unlike never before, and young girls are now bombarded with so much imagery of luxury goods....

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 15-Apr-13 12:22:35

Toasted your tumblr is gorgeous and I have the same Marant blouse as you and wish I'd bought those Zara sandals too.

I think some of the stuff listed on here is just very very classic and therefore a bit dull. You can still look wealthy but be a bit more adventurous.

And yes looking wealthy is just not something that a lot of people aspire too.

foxysocks Mon 15-Apr-13 11:51:11

I cannot imagine wanting or aiming to look wealthy, it has never crossed my mind. i wear what i love and what I think looks good.

Curtsey Mon 15-Apr-13 11:44:53

Coming late to this.

Some thoughts/musings.

1. Toasted - envy envy envy is all I can say. You are gorgeous, your apartment is gorgeous, and your style is just spot on. Can I please be you?

2. I don't think anyone should ever want to look 'wealthy'. I think what we mean when we say 'wealthy' is actually just 'groomed' and 'pulled together'. They're different things. Stylish friends of mine never look wealthy. They just look great, whatever their style is - classic or bohemian or minimalist. They've got all the details right (and they have good skin). They care, and think about it, and devote time to it. They make it look effortless but there's loads going on underneath the surface. And some of them are very wealthy, and some have very little money.

3. Another shortie here (about 5'2) with no boobs to speak of. I'm not opposed to buying things from Primark, but I have reached the age and stage (30 next birthday) where I must admit that I look shit in Primark. SHIT. But I don't necessarily look more groomed in expensive brands either. I am very much still working out my style. One thing I have recently realised is that crew necks/boat necks are my friend. The less skin on show at my neckline, the better. I think this is because the more I'm covered up on my top half, the taller and more 'streamlined' I look.

4. I've started to carry a hairbrush with me. I have fine flyaway hair and the second I step outside it goes ratty and tangled. If my hair is regularly brushed, I feel less of a mess and it stops me scraping it back into a studenty knot. Obviously, don't brush your hair in public, though - find a loo somewhere or do it in your car smile

AvrilPoisson Mon 15-Apr-13 00:08:54

I agree with tailoring items to fit perfectly (as someone 5'0"!).
I have bought things for peanuts from the clearance in TKMaxx for example, had them tailored for another £12/15, then they look very expensive, but still cost around £20. (e.g. silk Ralph Lauren jacket).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now