Where do fat people buy nice clothes?

(139 Posts)
seeker Tue 19-Mar-13 14:26:11

I know, I know- if you weren't far you wouldn't have the problem. But where do they?

Whirliwig72 Wed 03-Feb-16 06:29:37

I'm a size 18 /20, tall hour glass. I buy the majority of my clothes from Boden. In particular I love their straight leg jeans (v slimming), parks jackets, Ponte dresses (which are substantial enough to hold things in), their leggings and cashmere knitwear (bought in sale). Their wrap tops and dresses are also good (high quality cotton Lycra). I also have a few 40's style prom dresses from Boden and Etsy which suit my shape. I also hunt for second hand stuff on EBay and find Jaegar items very generous and beautiful quality. DKNY does great basics like t/shirts and nightwear which come up huge! I buy size 9 pumps and ballet shoes from Hobbs, heels and boots from Ted and Muffy (extra wide fittings).
I do spend quite a bit on my clothes but I only shop a few times a year and find things last ages this way (if not attacked by dreaded moths!hmm)

notapizzaeater Wed 03-Feb-16 00:03:46

For cheap clothes everythingfivepounds.co.uk. Have a plus size selection, not the best quality but if you work with little kiddies like I do they are perfect.

PrinnyViolet Tue 02-Feb-16 23:33:33

Asos is my go too , the regular brand goes upto a 18 sometimes 20 and the curve range starts in a 18.
The curve range is usually pretty well sized but sometimes can be a bit generous.
Next , newlook , Forever 21 , misguided and boohoo all do a plus range ... All true to size.

Ax pairs curve is good for occasional wear & smart casual.

Destinysdaughter Tue 02-Feb-16 22:39:41

I think Curvissa is good and they send you a catalogue to look at at home!

JizzyStradlin Tue 02-Feb-16 21:29:15

On the off chance that anyone knows three years on, is the Emma tunic being discussed upthread the one from Boden or Adini?

TheHumanSatsuma Tue 02-Feb-16 21:16:38

Sainsbury's are really good for tops ( not so good for trousers with my shape, but my sister finds planty her shape --same size 18.)

Bon Marche , esp the Ann Harvey range again depends on your age group, I'm 59 and some of it is waaaaaaay too old for me!

M&S , some per una is great and the M&S woman range is often a good source- it acknowledges the fact that women have bums and boobs

JolseBaby Tue 02-Feb-16 21:10:50

Annoying that it's a zombie thread, but perhaps worth resurrecting? Dolomites' posts made me laugh - so true about Evans. God only knows what the designers are thinking but 9/10ths of what is in there is horrid and so unflattering.

I find Phase Eight good for dresses - the ruching across the tummy is surprisingly flattering and forgiving and helps to create a waist.

hefzi Tue 02-Feb-16 21:07:02

Argh! Another bloody zombie thread...

But thanks for those recommendations, turbags - there are some gorgeous things on eShakti: I'm just having a drool!

trubags Tue 02-Feb-16 21:03:57

If you're well beyond 18/20 you might like to look at Ulla Popken for some great quality clothing and eShakti for VERY naice dresses which you can choose things like length, sleeves, neckline etc. I'm currently wearing some Marisota leggings, an Ulla Popken embellished tshirt and a Yours Clothing hoodie. And I almost forgot 1647 for lovely (if a bit samey) tunics and tops and trousers. Their sleeves do tend towards the scaled-up-clothing-arms-as-long-as-a-gibbon though. I used to have to buy stuff online from the USA but now I've never had so many clothes. You'd think businesses have only just realised that Fat Folk actually NEED clothes otherwise we'd all be nude and they'd have to gaze upon our folds and plumptousness.

hefzi Tue 02-Feb-16 21:01:45

Oh - and ASOS Curve too, though I've gone away from them a bit recently: I do most of my shopping online, so I can a) get cashback where it's available and b) try things on in front of a mirror I trust, not in a tiny, over-heated changing room (and then have to take it back anyway) - and c) because I hate town at the weekend, when it's stuffed full of people and all their shopping grin

cleaty Tue 02-Feb-16 21:00:51

I have put on weight, and am still trying to answer this question myself.

hefzi Tue 02-Feb-16 20:59:52

I find Boden tends to be very middle-aged and a little bit Marlow - though their maxi skirts are a good length: and they tend to be big on the waist/hips and tight on the bust.

Long Tall Sally are OK, but also small in the bust.

For cheaper ranges - Evans for pear-shaped jeans (mainly because I'm a 16 in them instead of a 20 grin; Debenhams have some things, but you need to keep looking, Monsoon sometimes (though maxi skirts can be a bit short), Simply Be (but only in the sale - they are expensive for what they are) and Asda for every day tops.

AvaLeStrange Tue 02-Feb-16 20:52:12

Size 22-24.

Next for staples - plain tops, PJ's, jean, linen trousers.

Recently discovered Dorothy Perkins Curve, Simply Be and Yours.

Occasionally New Look, Tesco, Asda.

Usually Debenhams for special occasions, or eBay.

ratspeaker Tue 02-Feb-16 20:50:52

loopsylala Tue 02-Feb-16 20:29:05

Yours Clothing for trousers. New Look / Evans / Forever 21 for tops

Trying to lose the weight though, not trying hard enough though!

Lostinmysoul Tue 02-Feb-16 20:26:12

why is this on fb?! Zombie thread!!!

itsbetterthanabox Mon 01-Feb-16 15:45:49

Oh do we mean actual plus size or are you an 18 who can actually buy stuff everywhere but is still moaning!

itsbetterthanabox Mon 01-Feb-16 15:44:27

Asos curve and Yours clothing are my favourite both do really fashion forward stuff and not overly pricey.
H&M plus
Simply be
New look inspire sometimes have nice stuff
Evans is ok for essentials like coats and work stuff but their dresses and tops are insanely pricey for just cotton!

PitPatKitKat Mon 01-Feb-16 15:18:56

Sadly, mostly only in my dreams...

LadyPriggsbottom Mon 01-Feb-16 15:18:33

I'm the same size as you N0t so thanks for that advice - really helpful for me. Don't know about the OP though as this is a pesky zombie thread! Annoying.

N0tfinished Mon 01-Feb-16 14:12:40

I mean look at this

I have a previous seasons version of this and it's fantastic- really wearable. & flattering. It's taken me to lots of those semi-formal events that I can never decide what to wear to. But they dress the model in about 2 sizes too big & she stands in the worst pose you could imagine

N0tfinished Mon 01-Feb-16 14:05:09

Mango have a great plus size range called Violeta.

I've gotten some really lovely things there. It's not super cheap but he items have been good quality in the main - nicer quality than the 'standard' Mango items I think. There are regular Sales to make it more affordable. Go onto mango website & look for 'plus size' on the menu.

The clothes are nice & quite modern - not fuddy duddy and also not too young (I'm 45).

Only problem is the photography styling on the website. I don't know who styles the pics but it's hard to see past it! If they did pics of the items themselves rather than the weird way they dress the models I think I'd buy more!!

Sizing is generous But not OTT. I'm 14/16 so on the cusp of standard sizing going into plus sizing IYKWIM. I would be an M/14 I'd say, whereas normal sizing I'd be L or XL

daniLo Mon 01-Feb-16 11:40:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NotConnie Sat 04-May-13 11:21:39

SPam reported.

denimfanatic Sat 04-May-13 09:14:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now