Where do fat people buy nice clothes?

(116 Posts)
seeker Tue 19-Mar-13 14:26:11

I know, I know- if you weren't far you wouldn't have the problem. But where do they?

MrsSlocombesPussy Sun 24-Mar-13 19:30:54

I like the John Rocha stuff in Debenhams, I've managed to find some pretty tops in his range.

polyhymnia Sun 24-Mar-13 19:31:59

Good for you, go for it. I'm sure you'll find some good things - it just takes more effort!

canutesauntie Sun 24-Mar-13 19:43:53

I like this thread! Would never have thought of Boden, they look short & tiny, will have to try them. Ann Harvey used to be a good source of work trousers but there are are hardly any on the website. stopped buying their tops & jackets a while ago as they'd become frump city.
MrsSchadenfreude - I like Lands End too, please dont encourage anyone else to buy from their outlet stock! Realised yesterday I was wearing Lands End trousers, vest , fleece, coat and gloves... their coats are excellent.
Box2 have some stuff you can wear for work.
Pet peeve in larger sizes is when manufacturers dont alter the size or length of the arms. I'm also a bit tired of the waterfall front too.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 24-Mar-13 20:46:36

hotcross I live in the EU where we still have Miss Etam - the jeans are amazing - they fit pear-shapes. The rest I'm afraid has descended in to shapeless tat - or maybe it's just country specific - the Dutch tend to be quite tall and small chested and they like layering, so it's just not me. I loved Miss Etam and used to come over on the Eurostar and buy all of Marble Arch branch! grin

John Rocha is great for hourglasses and big arses.

timidviper Sun 24-Mar-13 22:35:57

I love Box2 in the pictures but I am not as tall and willowy as their model and look like a box myself in their clothes, I need some shape to clothes and theirs are drapey rather than tailored IYSWIM. I look like Sponge Bob Squarepants big sister grin

polyhymnia Sun 24-Mar-13 23:02:54

Box 2 are very definitely not for me. I'm a tall hourglass and must have some definition in my clothes . Theirs are baggy and shapeless - I know they'd make me look even bigger

EMUZ Sun 24-Mar-13 23:39:17

I also got an amazing peplum (bear with me!) dress from Dorothy Perkins. V neck, tiny sleeves that covered the worst bits, fitted a full bra under. V tiny peplum that just balanced my boobs out a bit. £17 shock
I went back and got every other colour blush

You go for it MrsHeggle smile I'm sorry you cried though. Sometimes we just need to be told what we're worth don't we? For me, it was my lovely dh who ordered me two Boden tops saying I deserved something nice. I said 'noooo, they won't fit...' but they did and there was no stopping me then grin

DolomitesDonkey Mon 25-Mar-13 09:46:04

I would say beware of the "2 sizes" thing with US clothing - it may have been that way 10 years ago but the UK-style vanity sizing has gone bonkers and I'd suggest going down just 1 size.

Ok I went clothes shopping thanks to you lot. I got three pairs of trousers and tops and two pairs of shoes. I only ventured to my local debrnhams and got John Rocha stuff - but it is a start! Thank you! It will be nice not o wear black and grey all summer at work!!!

HarderToKidnap Fri 05-Apr-13 11:48:23

Been reading with interest - I'm a good 16 top and a small 18 on bottom. Been trying to rejig my wardrobe recently so that I have less stuff "just cos it fits" and more stuff I actually like!

Recent fantastic buys...

http://www.whitestuff.com/easy-peasy-dress-prod405388_dk_hudson/ with a white jersey boyfriend cardy from new look on top

http://www.whitestuff.com/wide-leg-bakota-trouser-prod405307_navy/ flattering

Their sorrell jeans are also really relaxed fit, good rolled up

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/077573 lovely loose flattering fit, very cool, over a vest top can be worn with everything, will be my go-to this summer with linen trousers, crops, rolled up jeans

Gap Curvy jeans are great for my shape, I have ENORMOUS thighs.

http://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/3531736108 this has been so flattering too, it's some sort of optical illusion thing but I have a tiny waist, nice boobs and gently flared hips in this!

Does anyone have good tips for some gentle tummy control knickers? I have the full on tit to knee Spanks which are good but can't wear every day, but I just look better with some gentle firm tummy control. Going on holiday soon and want something for under maxis and skirts in the evening.

HarderToKidnap Fri 05-Apr-13 11:48:59

Sorry, with working links!

Been reading with interest - I'm a good 16 top and a small 18 on bottom. Been trying to rejig my wardrobe recently so that I have less stuff "just cos it fits" and more stuff I actually like!

Recent fantastic buys...

www.whitestuff.com/easy-peasy-dress-prod405388_dk_hudson/ with a white jersey boyfriend cardy from new look on top

www.whitestuff.com/wide-leg-bakota-trouser-prod405307_navy/ flattering

Their sorrell jeans are also really relaxed fit, good rolled up

www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/077573 lovely loose flattering fit, very cool, over a vest top can be worn with everything, will be my go-to this summer with linen trousers, crops, rolled up jeans

Gap Curvy jeans are great for my shape, I have ENORMOUS thighs.

uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/3531736108 this has been so flattering too, it's some sort of optical illusion thing but I have a tiny waist, nice boobs and gently flared hips in this!

Does anyone have good tips for some gentle tummy control knickers? I have the full on tit to knee Spanks which are good but can't wear every day, but I just look better with some gentle firm tummy control. Going on holiday soon and want something for under maxis and skirts in the evening.

waves at timidviper with you girl - we have to shop carefully!

Dolomitesdonkey - where in EU? Belgium has Paprika - a mix of OMG crap and some lovely stuff which I nurture and look after well to keep it looking luffly.

denimfanatic Sat 04-May-13 09:14:03

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NotConnie Sat 04-May-13 11:21:39

SPam reported.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now