Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

I found what I thought was the impossible. That's right, I have finally found a pair of skinny jeans that fit me! I have a huge bum, chunky thighs and MASSIVE calves (19 inches of pure muscle for those who want to know wink) Thank you New Look, for giving me what I wanted and finally banishing those ugly bootcuts to the back of my wardobe!

AlwaysReadyForABlether Tue 26-Feb-13 10:25:32

OneLittleLady can you link to the New Look jeans? I have the same problem. Tried a pair on in Primark and couldn't even get then halfway up my calves!

http://www.newlook.com/shop/womens/jeans/30in-black-skinny-jeans_254329801

They are the ones I think. They are on sale at the minute as well smile. Definitely don't go for the super skinny though if you have big thighs and/or calves because they won't fit. I know, I tried.

landofsoapandglory Tue 26-Feb-13 16:10:14

I bought the khaki skinnies from New Look that Mimikos linked to. I like them, but they aren't skinny on me, and they don't really look or feel like jeans either. I have worn them today and they have stretched quite a bit on the waist so with I sized down. I shall wear them more as the weather gets warmer I think, as they are quite thin, also I am 5'4 and they are only just long enough.

I have been to Asda today to pick up some more school shirts for DS2 because he has broken his shoulder and needed bigger ones, they had a gorgeous crocheted black jumper , but I was with DH and he wasn't convinced I needed another jumper! I might have to order it online!

OneLittleLady Can I ask where you get boots from (if you wear them), as another lady blessed with generous calves I can never find any that will zip up over them?

MimikosPanda Tue 26-Feb-13 16:58:36

Landof My NL skinnies arrived today, you're right they are a thin fabric, more trouser than denim jeans I guess, very similar to my Dorothy Perkins superskinny ones though. On me the NL ones are a superskinny fit and very fitted at the ankles and I have to roll up the 30inch ones and I'm 5ft4 too, weird!

The burgundy ones fit perfectly, happy with those, but the khaki in the same size are smaller fitting. I don't want to size up because they will just gap on my waistband so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that they wear in ok.

I tried on some skinnies in Matalan yesterday, they were reduced £20 to £10. I tried on the inky blue and the grey, I was so tempted to get them. I needed a size up in there but they fitted well with quite a high waistline that I liked. I'm going to keep watching them online in case they get a further, final reduction.

Monstermashpotato I have found most of my boots on the Simply Be website, they offer a few different calf fittings in a fair number of sizes.

styles not sizes, grrrr

ComeAlongPond Tue 26-Feb-13 22:56:15

Oooh can I join? Don't have any great finds to post at the moment but hopefully soon!

Corygal Tue 26-Feb-13 23:39:47

One Little Lady - I think I love you. Finally, jeans to fit my fine centurion's calves. All that ballet when I was 8...they've NEVER got any thinner. And my ankles are teeny as well, I look like I am boasting prosthetic swedes.

Normally. Now I am going to look great with jeans that fit.

Saphiesgirl Wed 27-Feb-13 07:53:40

Corygal- I have same problem with calves and ankles. Got knee high boots from asda which have been great not too wellie like round ankles etc. they're comfy too, every occasion from shopping to dog walking.
Ballet has a lot to answer for, if only I still had the waistline to match!

ItsintheBag Wed 27-Feb-13 08:04:28

I wish I had saw this yesterday!
I went shopping for skinnies, I got them in Primark in a size 14 two bloody sizes bigger than usual. It was the only way to get them up my leg.
I am 5 10 and find it impossible to find skinnies were.Is New look worth a try for a tall person with hips and calves?

landofsoapandglory Wed 27-Feb-13 08:13:51

Itsinthebag I would say if you get the "tall" version from New Look you might be OK. The Primark jeans are skinny on me, but the New Look skinnies are more straight than skinny on my sparrow legs!

Saphiesgirl Wed 27-Feb-13 08:29:29

Corygal- I have same problem with calves and ankles. Got knee high boots from asda which have been great not too wellie like round ankles etc. they're comfy too, every occasion from shopping to dog walking.
Ballet has a lot to answer for, if only I still had the waistline to match!

Saphiesgirl Wed 27-Feb-13 08:30:39

Sorry for the double post!

Corygal Wed 27-Feb-13 20:29:45

But thanks for the empathy! Thing is, other people love our legs...they're always called 'shapely' and 'sexy'...

So I guess we win - as long as we stick to New Look,

Thanks thanks

HotCrossBunsForAll Wed 27-Feb-13 20:53:29

I got the super skinny jeans from New Look's tall range a couple of weeks ago, and they are big - I wish I'd sized down. They also go v baggy on the knee after a couple of hours which I'm not loving sad I'm 5'11 and a size 12/14 and when I get paid at the end of the month I'll be replacing them with some Topshop Baxters!

MimikosPanda Wed 27-Feb-13 21:51:22

I guess that the New Look super skinny jeans must be a marmite thing, love them or hate them. I love them, they are one of only a few pairs I have found that fit my legs - I'm in the muscular calves group too though I can't blame ballet, I've just inherited them I think.

I've swapped my khaki ones for another pair, the same size but that fit better. I think I must have just got an oddly sewn pair or something.

Now though I realise that I just don't know what goes with khaki. What colours can go with a dark khaki? Answers on a postcard grin !

AlwaysReadyForABlether Wed 27-Feb-13 22:21:11

I saw this and really liked it but shied away from it as I wasn't sure I could carry it off. My sister persuaded me to try it on and I really like it!
Unfortunately though I tried it in a red colour with black sleeves - and I can't find it anywhere in my size!
I probably will go with the cream if I can't get the red - but it might not be very practical.

MimikosPanda, my sister wears a lot of khaki and usually wears darker shades of blue with it. Looks alright on her but I don't know if that's down to her colouring as well. She's a brunette with light olive skin and hazel eyes.

MimikosPanda Thu 28-Feb-13 11:59:50

Thanks, I have a lot of dark blue in my wardrobe though I am blue eyed and fair so maybe it would look different on me.

I have a few cream/beige tops and I think they will go well but they are mostly summer tops so no use yet.

I've got an hour or so in town now so going to have a look around. Today I am wearing my skinniest that I bought in the sales last year, I finally threw out my scruffy ones
. My new ones feel like they were free because I paid for them so long ago!!

nipersvest Thu 28-Feb-13 12:44:24

am looking rather dapper today if i do say so myself, nice tights, orla kiely dress (uniglo), although the thermal vest poking out around the neckline needs hiding with a scarf wink

bleedingheart Thu 28-Feb-13 13:04:14

Colours I wear with khaki:
Charcoal grey
Bright pink
Coral/orange
Cobalt
Marl grey
Navy
Cream
Taupe
Chocolate
I have brown hair but pale skin and green eyes.

I bought a beautfiul cobalt blue faux silk top by Gok at Sainsburys, it was already reduced to £6 and then had 25% off. Also bought a midi dress in navy jersey, long sleeved, button up placket, very simple and casual and a navy, yellow and white stripe lightweight scarf.

MimikosPanda Thu 28-Feb-13 17:24:50

Thanks bleeding, most of those colours I wouldn't have thought of to go with khaki. I need to get things out and try them on to see what suits.
I'm very new to colours, I used to wear so much black that I've now banned it from my wardrobe. I am still quite nervous of mixing colours though and don't really know what goes with what.

bleedingheart Thu 28-Feb-13 18:00:58

I might be wrong but I like khaki as a base like denim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now