Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

Snootymum Sun 24-Feb-13 19:17:20

I found H&M didn't have any of the stuff I liked in stock, so I've got a skirt today from Ebay; a polka dot pencil skirt, which I'll wear with a black vest top, cardi and black tights, and then can also wear it in the summer too.

Saphiesgirl, I agree with Ashoething, a shift dress would look nice with the blazer.

MimikosPanda Sun 24-Feb-13 20:20:05

Snooty No, I was in H&M today and they didn't seem to have anything I liked in, I'd seen a few bits online I liked and wanted to see what the fabrics were like etc.

I only have one pair of bootcuts that fit me now, they fit like a dream actually but I hardly ever wear them. They go with my Converse but they don't really go with any of my boots or my flat pumps so I struggle to make an outfit with them. I only wear them with Converse and a hoodie these days. I used to live in my bootcuts. In fact, everybody I knew did and it was unthinkable that a more popular cut of jeans would come along. For ages I held off buying any skinnies, thinking they would be over within a season or two blush

CointreauVersial Sun 24-Feb-13 23:10:53

Me too, Mimiko! I had a pair of straight jeans I used to wrap around my legs and tuck into long boots, so I didn't have to waste money on skinnies. I didn't think they suited me for ages, and figured they'd be a one season wonder.

MimikosPanda Sun 24-Feb-13 23:38:17

I could do with a recommendation for bronzing, shimmer pearls. I always use Boots 17 Instant glow bronzing pearls in light, they looked liked this here. I loved them because they were cheap but a lovely light, pinky bronze that worked fine on fair skin and it was a really fine powder, its didn't look like glitter on me. It looks like Boots have stopped doing them, they seem to have replaced them with these which are quite dark and a very bronze bronze. I can't pull off that kind of colour, it always just looks orange on me.
I'm looking for a pinky, shimmer and glow at less than a tenner. I always have pearls in a pot but I could do a compact if it was the right colour and a nice smooth, fine powder.

Saphiesgirl Mon 25-Feb-13 07:29:14

Thanks for the suggestions, would like a shift dress/ blazer combo and saw some nice ones on matalan site. Unfortunately I can't wear dressed at mo because I'm breast feeding- don't want to disappear every feed! This is causing some difficulty as I've seen loads of dresses I like! Any other thoughts please?
Got a fab pair of red patent ballet pumps in sainsburys for £3.75 and two scarves for £6 each. Love the extra 25% off sale items!

MimikosPanda Mon 25-Feb-13 07:32:46

The TU 25% off is off sale items too?! Any idea how long the 25% off thing lasts?

MimikosPanda Mon 25-Feb-13 07:33:47

The TU 25% off is off sale items too?! Any idea how long the 25% off thing lasts?

MimikosPanda Mon 25-Feb-13 07:38:51

Sapphies You'd need to do seperates rather than a dress then? Could you do linen tousers, a smart tshirt or cami and a jacket over? Maybe the Sainsburys blazer you liked with a white tshirt and navy linen trousers.

used2bthin Mon 25-Feb-13 07:56:49

I am way behind but someone earlier mentioned blue pumps and I can't find where they were mentioned or linked? Anyone know? I am still looking for ankle boots and now thinking of giving up and getting pumps something ready for spring and I wear navy lots.

MimikosPanda Mon 25-Feb-13 08:06:40

After a tip on here I found navy pumps in Primark, they were about £5, patent navy with a big ribbon bow on the front. I wasn't keen on the bow though. Got some in Sainsburys, not patent but a much better quality with a slightly squared off toe, they were £10 but down to £7.50 with the TU 25% off. Last years pair that I managed to ruin on holiday were Matalan so worth keeping an eye out to see if they do navy again this year. I grabbed the Sainsburys ones because I remember struggling to find navy last year.

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Mon 25-Feb-13 08:11:03
used2bthin Mon 25-Feb-13 08:18:52

Thanks I am pleased as got oldest dd off school sick but can probably get out to Sainsburys when dh gets in as we always need food!

freddiefrog Mon 25-Feb-13 09:24:39

Managed to hit Primark over the weekend and got a decent haul.

a couple of pairs of their £7 skinnies, one in a light stonewash, 1 indigo
Some vests
Tan ankle boots - for a bank breaking £3!!!!
Some jumpers, a shirt and some undies
And some stuff for the kids

Today I'm wearing
Indigo skinnies - Primark
Blush vest - Primark
Crochet-y/fine knit blush top - Primark
Tan ankle boots - Primark

MimikosPanda Mon 25-Feb-13 09:58:54

SayHello I love the black and white damask dress, that is just my style. Hmmm...£25.... <<be strong, don't buy it>>

Freddie I think you need to take me on a Primark trip, I never manage a haul like that grin I always get lots of basics, like vests and scarves, but never really manage to get proper clothes IYSWIM, I have had two coats from there actually. I've never tried the Primark skinnies but next time I'm child free shopping I'll try some on. Do they keep their shape or just stretch out really quickly?

Today I'm wearing:

Indigo skinnies - DP
Slate &stone striped swing fine knit jumper - Forever 21 (way better quality than you'd expect)
Tan ankle boots - Tesco
stone bird print scarf - Primark

I think I'm going to freeze, but need to make a decent impression today so can't do my usual trick of adding many hoodies. I really need to invest in some lovely warm jumpers, proper wool or angora ones but I can only really afford them via ebay or TK Maxx and I never see any I like.

I am planning a shopping trip in two weeks. I may need to run to Primani then for some skinnies.

Would some of you please <begs> jump on over to my fred here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/a1692306-If-you-are-a-short-fat-skint-apple-where-do-you-buy-clothes#37472774 ?

I'm scared of clothes shopping. I hate it.

freddiefrog Mon 25-Feb-13 10:18:05

Mimikos - get some thermals! I got a cream set from Trespass for a tenner - they were on BOGOF last week.

I hope the skinnies stretch out a little bit, they fit fab on the bum and waist, but a bit too tight for my liking on the legs

I got a few basics, but they had some lovely knitwear, I'm obsessed with blush and pale pinks at the moment so went a bit mad

SayHelloToMyLittleFriend Mon 25-Feb-13 10:39:53

The damask one is my favourite one too Mimikos, I'm not as sure of the lacey one but thought it makes a change to all the navy and / or stripy dresses I seem to buy.

I'm really liking Primark at the moment. I went in at the weekend to try and get some things for my holiday and got a few pairs of shorts and some casual dresses (one was only £5) and saw a black and white maxi skirt for £10 and a few blouses that I really liked but didn't buy because I've been spending too much lately. They also had some nice knitwear but I kept away from that because I need to try and keep my money for more summery things. Will have to try out the skinny jeans though!

Snootymum Mon 25-Feb-13 10:53:10

freddie, I've just replied on your other thread smile

GingerLemonTea Mon 25-Feb-13 14:49:47

Matalan sale now on.

Saphiesgirl Mon 25-Feb-13 19:37:31

Blue linen trousers sound right up my street- will blame baby brain for not having thought of that. Ta!

Saphiesgirl Mon 25-Feb-13 19:47:15

Sorry, yes to the separates!

FrantasticO Mon 25-Feb-13 22:11:31

I too got the £3.75 red patent pumps, they are lovely!

Rest of haul was for dc though.

CointreauVersial Mon 25-Feb-13 22:32:30

Mimiko, if you are after "proper" knitwear (I mean non-acrylic), have a look at the Woolovers website.

Seriously cheesy model shots, lots of mature ladies walking up hills or standing on boat-decks, but brilliant "classic" knitwear, wool/cashmere/silk/cotton in every shape and colour, and not too pricey. If you are lucky enough to find 100% wool in the shops (virtually non-existant at the moment) it would be twice the price.

Comes up big, though.....

Internationaltraveller Mon 25-Feb-13 22:49:20
Internationaltraveller Mon 25-Feb-13 22:57:01

The paint-splattered trainers look quite fun and I would probably buy a cheap white pair and splatter some myself
www.hm.com/gb/product/06974?article=06974-D
Grey slouchy bag is a bit more difficult - I can find this one is black or white which is a similar look to a shape in the Marc by Marc Jacobs range.
www.hm.com/gb/product/08829?article=08829-A

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now