Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

MimikosPanda Fri 22-Feb-13 10:10:16

Having said I was a bit over Asda clothes, I have to admit that I take it back. I needed to have a look through George online for dome bits for the DC another growth spurt and so felt duty bound to have a look at the women's section. I quite like these bits:

Tunic top 10

Marl knit top 8, like the blue too

Studded top 10, really like it in charcoal

Classic mac 16

Spot jumper 10 also in a peach I think

Jacket 28

Not dressed yet today, but have poorly DC so probably just slumming anyway.

CointreauVersial Fri 22-Feb-13 10:20:47

Mimiko, I like some of the River Island stuff you linked to - I'm a sucker for white lace tops (and my DCs are beyond the sticky finger phase). I bought a gorgeous blouse from Zara in the sale.

I always have a rummage in Asda when I shop there, which is probably once a month, and often find nice bits and pieces, but there is a lot of cheap and nasty stuff to wade through. And they hardly ever have any 10s - they seem to target a somewhat larger clientele. I have a classic trench coat from there which I bought a few years ago, and people are always surprised when I tell them where it came from - it looks quite expensive.

I'm still in PJs at the moment, but it is freeeeezing today, and we are going out later, so I'll be raiding my woolly jumper drawer again - Spring, where are you??

nipersvest Fri 22-Feb-13 11:50:50

the barratts biker boots have arrived, they are really nice. slim fitting, and lined with fleece, so cosy! granted they are not leather, but for £12, a steal.

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 22-Feb-13 16:29:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FirstTimeForEverything Fri 22-Feb-13 16:30:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MimikosPanda Fri 22-Feb-13 17:23:17

Glad you liked the links First, I have a lovely mac that was from H&M last year. I was boring and bought navy but they also did stone and red I think, I'd look in H&M to see if they have any this season, mine has lasted really well and I've had lots of compliments on it.

Nipers Glad you liked the boots, I can't believe I resisted buying them, kind of wish I had now!

CointreauVersial Fri 22-Feb-13 19:52:14

I wrapped up warmly today:

Cream heavy wool Guernsey jumper, Woollovers
Skinny jeans, Zara
Cream cable knit scarf, Penneys (Irish Primark)
Faux fur gilet, Mango
Black Ugg-alikes, Clarks

I was still cold.grin

nipersvest Fri 22-Feb-13 19:55:22

mimi - i may have to fight to wear them, dd wasn't keen when i described them to her, but she's tried them on and they fit perfectly and she's eying them up now! she's only 11, we're both a size 4.

MimikosPanda Fri 22-Feb-13 20:04:13

Nipers Maybe you could draw up some sort of boot-rota with your DD, you could have them Sat-Wed and she could have them Thurs/Fri!

cocolepew Fri 22-Feb-13 20:08:44

Freezing today so wore a red furry (ostrich?) jumper with a black heaet on it from Asda. About 6 people told me they liked it today.
Skinnies from Primark years ago, lots if stretch in them.
Brown biker boots.

I finally bought something! Skinny Falmers jeans from Matalan, £20. They are lightish blue with a dark green turn up. I did think they were baggy when I bought them hmm. They are nice and flattering.

Also a lovely soft, grey vest with lace at the top and straps, also Falmers from Matalan, £6.

cocolepew Fri 22-Feb-13 20:11:14

FirstTime there were red macs in Matalan today.

MimikosPanda Sat 23-Feb-13 07:17:19

I'm going to the zoo today so dressing for warmth, it's going to be freezing.

fleece lined tights - Primark
indigo skinnies - DP
vest
long sleeve tshirt - New Look
navy marl sweatshirt - H&M via ebay
plum padded jacket - Primark
either wellies or sheepskin boots depending if wet or dry when we get there

Plus hats an gloves. Hoping to achieve a look somewhere between 'semi attractive woman' and 'michelin man' grin

cocolepew Sat 23-Feb-13 09:38:22

My wedge trainers came this morning and they are beautiful, lovely and soft.

In jogging bottoms and hoody as I'm going swimming soon.
It's snowing here sad

Ashoething Sat 23-Feb-13 12:10:23

I am wearing-

purple ballerina print dress-pearl lowe for peacocks
purple tights-bhs
tan boots-new look
leopard print coat-matalan

Can I join? late to the party as usual

I have just gone down a size (YAY!) and got bags and bags of stuff out of the loft and can't believe how many nice clothes I used to have

All in the washing machine/dryer now and will have a trying on day tomorrow.

HappyMummyOfOne Sat 23-Feb-13 16:25:57

FirstTime, Asda have some lovely red macs in. Had mine from the last year and love it.

For those that like Tesco online, there is a sale on and some lovely jumpers. Winter2 gives 15% off as well for new customers or newl email addresses.

DillyTante Sat 23-Feb-13 19:00:11

Sainsbo's have 25% off clothes & accessories at the moment. I bought some lovely white & blue striped skinny trousers. Really flattering. Also bought a flower print jersey dress. Jeans were £13.50 & dress £15. Well worth a trip.

DillyTante Sat 23-Feb-13 19:01:39

They also give you 25% of sale items too. Bought some leopard print pumps (to replace my last sainsbo's pair) £12 reduced to £5 then another 25% off.

MimikosPanda Sat 23-Feb-13 19:53:01

Well I did end up more at the michelin man end of the fashion spectrum at the zoo after I added 2 extra hoodies but I'm glad because it started snowing so I needed all the layers.
Not sure what I'm wearing tomorrow, we are going to a big outside outlet place, I'll wait and see if its snowing I think. I never seem to manage warm and stylish or warm and fashionable, I can look good or be warm but never manage both.

Hope you find lots of great things in your attic haul, enjoy trying it all on ;-)

Snootymum Sat 23-Feb-13 20:21:42

Hello, can I join you all! :-)

I'm currently browsing the H&M website, ready to buy a few Spring/Summer bits. I really like H&M and as we don't have one in our town and our nearest is 40 miles away, it's all a bit 'different' to the stuff that's available round here.

CointreauVersial Sat 23-Feb-13 21:36:33

I had a good rummage in the loft today, looking for some old jeans I could give the "boyfriend" treatment to. Not much luck, unfortunately; most of my old stuff is pre-weight-loss, so too massive around the waist/bum, or is bootcut. I did find one bootcut pair that fitted OK, so I plan to take them in from the knee down, then roll and distress them a bit. Failing that, I shall have to go shopping (shame...)!

Wearing today:

Grey long sleeved HeatTech top, Uniqlo
Black cashmere merino v-neck jumper, Woollovers
Burgundy leopard print skinnies, Tesco
Grey and burgundy scarf, FatFace
Black Ugg-alikes, Clarks

nipersvest Sat 23-Feb-13 22:51:01

i still have a lot of bootcuts knocking around. not sure what to do with them. although, i am a recent convert to skinnies, i put some bootcuts on before christmas and they felt really weird. don't feel i want to get rid just yet though in case i change my mind.

CointreauVersial Sat 23-Feb-13 22:57:05

I feel like one of The Osmonds when I put on bootcuts nowadays. grin

Saphiesgirl Sun 24-Feb-13 07:52:25

Love this thread! I've been following it from the start and find I've fallen into a uniform pattern too. Skinnies, boots and a floaty or tunic top is all the style I have so must get out the rut. With a three yr old and 9wk old I'm limited by breast feeding and sticky fingers!!
Was in sainsburys looking for something for me and spent lots on kids but nothing for myself- typical!
Can anyone suggest something nice for my daughters christening on Easter Sunday please? Loved some blue wide legged trousers I daw in sainsburys and they also had a striped nautical style blazer (they don't go with each other!). But struggling for some inspiration. Off to trawl the Internet...

Ashoething Sun 24-Feb-13 19:10:30

saphie-tesco have a lovely black and white 50's style dress-reduced to £25 but limited sizes left. Would look lovely with a blazer-I got a black and a blue one for £7 in primark.

I think the blazer you are talking about was featured in the sainsburys mag?-they dont have it in my local oneenvy but it looked nice-that with a navy blue or white shift dress underneath would be lovely. Nude courts or wedges if the weather is more spring like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now