Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

Fatbrowncat Tue 19-Feb-13 17:27:30

I've got these wedge trainers, at a scanty 24 quid, which are superb and leather lined - 4 quid more than the Primark ones, real suede to boot, and very comfortable

www.asos.com/ALDO/ALDO-Anuka-Grey-Wedge-Trainers/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2371797&SearchQuery=wedge%20trainers&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=-1&sort=3&clr=Grey

cocolepew Tue 19-Feb-13 17:47:35

They are lovely! So lovely I've just bought them grin

WildThong Tue 19-Feb-13 17:55:06

I bought this shirt here for £12, it is lovely quality (polyester, but isn't everything) and very flattering.

MimikosPanda Tue 19-Feb-13 17:55:54

My sweatshirt from New Look via ebay arrived today and I love it, especially as it only cost me a few pounds. It is quite a busy design though and I'm not sure if I can wear a patterned scarf with a busy patterned top? Can patterns/prints go together or not?

I headed to Sainsburys this morning and despite going to look for childrens t-shirts, instead I came out with navy ballet pumps. They aren't the patent effect I had wanted but they fitted well and have a nice square ended toe that I liked. They were £10 down to £7.50 so not a bad price either, better quality than the Primark ones that were about £6. I've put them away until the warmer weather, they will be a nice surprise when I go looking for my spring/summer shoes and I finally let go of my sheepskin boots.

Today I wore the same as yesterday, with a different stripey t-shirt:
scruffy skinnies - DP
vests
Blue stripe t-shirt - Matalan
Blue cotton button down cardi - Primark
Spotty scarf - Peacocks

cocolepew Tue 19-Feb-13 17:57:23

Thats a lovely colour wildthong.

WildThong Tue 19-Feb-13 18:00:44

Thanks cocole, I'm chuffed with it as it will do work and also with black jeggings/boots. I actually saw something similar in M&S Limited recently but it was £££

MimikosPanda Tue 19-Feb-13 19:58:57

Fatbrowncat I love those shoes and £24 is a real bargain. I've tried some that were similar and somehow, though they look great on everyone else, they look out of place on me. I keep picking them up in shops and then putting them down again, I don't know what it is about them that looks wrong on me though hmm

MimikosPanda Tue 19-Feb-13 21:57:03

I hadn't planned on buying more skinny jeans but I saw the ones from New Look that I like reduced so just bought two pairs
Burgundy and Khaki. I've never had khaki before but I think they will sit well with my other clothes so hope they will look ok.

sherzy Wed 20-Feb-13 08:23:13

Got this yesterday. Basic but nice colour and material, very flattering.

MimikosPanda Wed 20-Feb-13 10:12:58

That looks likea good basic top Sherzy and cheap at £6.99 too. It says it is boxy, is it a little baggy then?

nipersvest Wed 20-Feb-13 12:02:40

can i have a second opinion please?, am tempted by these, i'm a 4 so can get away with kids shoes! i know they're not leather, do they look ok?, there's a discount code for an additional 20% off. they'd fit both me & dd.

VitoCorleone Wed 20-Feb-13 12:05:39

Just marking place to read later.

MimikosPanda Wed 20-Feb-13 12:17:41

Nipers I love them, I'm a 4 or a 5 depending on the style and I love buying childrens shoes. I've had some good finds in the Next childrens shoes dept and in M&S too.

sherzy Wed 20-Feb-13 12:56:57

Yes quite baggy, needs to be worn over a vest as the arms are sleeves are quite wide.

cocolepew Wed 20-Feb-13 16:30:34

Those are lovely boots , I have similar <modest>

nipersvest Wed 20-Feb-13 21:54:23

well, i bought the boots! saw them on amazon first at £17.99, but with the discount direct from barratts they were only £12. will let you know what they're like when they arrive.

stefb Wed 20-Feb-13 23:39:47
Hedwig06 Thu 21-Feb-13 07:32:14

MimikosPanda:

How are the sizing on the New Look Skinnies? I have similar from DP & George in a size 14, but I always but a 16 in New Look?
Thanks x

MimikosPanda Thu 21-Feb-13 07:54:30

They haven't arrived yet but I already have the burgundy ones, I love them and wanted a spare pair. I usually buy size 8 skinnies in DP, these were my first skinnies from NewLook and the 8 are fine and haven't gone baggy at all. Not much stretch in them though and less generous cut than DP.

MimikosPanda Thu 21-Feb-13 07:55:55

They haven't arrived yet but I already have the burgundy ones, I love them and wanted a spare pair. I usually buy size 8 skinnies in DP, these were my first skinnies from NewLook and the 8 are fine and haven't gone baggy at all. Not much stretch in them though and less generous cut than DP.

Hedwig06 Thu 21-Feb-13 08:14:45

Thanks I'll have to go and try them on, which I hate smile I'd much rather order them on-line x

nipersvest Thu 21-Feb-13 13:16:33

today am wearing

grey knitted dress - great plains
grey stripey tights - not sure where from as they were a xmas present
mustard cardi - h&m
scarf - this one, but in grey (option d)
tan shoes - fly london

kalidanger Thu 21-Feb-13 17:20:57

kissyfur "Speaking of which I got a camouflage jacket [...] just got to work out how to style it now"

I was just considering a camouflage jacket thread - I'm currently freezing so have skinny jeans (on a fat body), ankle boots and a grey hoodie underneath! Can't wait for Spring and maybe black/patterned leggings and a longish black top.... bun and shades? God, I've got no idea. Shoes??

MimikosPanda Thu 21-Feb-13 20:11:12

I've got some shoes like that nipers, mine are years old by Oxygen. In fact I bought them whilst I was at university and I graduated ten years ago.... Maybe the fashion has come around again and I should dig them out!

What is the fabric of the giraffe scarf like? I like the look of it but I've had some rubbish scarves from ebay so I'm a bit wary now.

Today I've been visiting old friends for a lovely catch up day and wore:
Burgundy skinny jeans - New Look
Vest
Stone pocket long sleeve - Primark (only about £2.5 but really flattering)
Pink/grey/brown animal print scarf - Primark
Bearpaw sheepskin boots - TK Maxx

I'm beginning to see how repetitive my outfits are, I really seem to have made myself a uniform that I mostly stick to how dull

I've had a nosey through River Island online for a bit summer clothes inspiration trying to forget how bloody cold it is outside and these are the bits I fancy:

Pink top 5 A sale bargain

Lace insert top 22

Another lace sleeveless top, 22

Victoriana top 25

Crochet top 25

These are the type of top I always love and never buy because they just don't look compatible with having young DC and playdoh and paint at home!

Today was v dull and devoid of all style :P Am off to London for the weekend tomorrow though, and have planned the following outfits:

Going to London--black and white striped skater dress (River Island), black opaques, black ballet pumps (Jones Bootmaker)
Shopping on Sat: denim mini (Uniqlo), black opaques, Love Label black t-shirt with huge applique white heart (tapered shape of heart makes it so flattering), black ballet pumps
Dinner on Sat: black body con dress from George, black stilettoes (Red Herring)
Sunday at museum...er, I'll get back to you on that one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now