Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

I bought this in the grey last week Fimbo - Faux fur wrap as I was fed up with my winter duvet coat. It is lovely and drapey and covers up all my longer tops and bum, I've had lots of compliments on it. You need to be wearing long sleeves under it on cold days though.

stefb Sun 17-Feb-13 19:37:37

Has anyone ordered from la redoute before?

Trills Sun 17-Feb-13 19:47:01

There was a La Redoute code posted a few weeks ago.

It turned out to be a code sent to one customer, who then shared it.

The website accepted it and lots of people were pleased to get a bargain.

Then La Redoute cancelled the orders because the code was not valid - fair enough, they should have been more careful about making the website work but cancelling is not the worst thing in the world.

The bad thing is that they did not contact anyone to say that their orders had been cancelled. People only found out if they logged into their accounts and saw that the order had disappeared.

People could have been waiting for birthday presents or for outfits for special events, and the orders were cancelled with no contact whatsoever.

I've had things from La Redoute before and they've been okay, but their customer service is clearly substandard.

cocolepew Sun 17-Feb-13 19:47:42

I have loads from La Redoute but haven't ordered anything for a couple of years.

SilverSky Sun 17-Feb-13 20:01:07

Thanks for all the coat/jacket tips. I shall bag myself a child free day to go shopping.

What style of denim skirt is currently on trend? I'm sure the one I have isn't.

MimikosPanda Sun 17-Feb-13 22:13:26

I'm loving all these suggestions and links. I'm having a mad busy few days so feel like I haven't been on properly in ages, I'm missing my window shopping for clothes. I

After lusting after sweatshirts on my shopping trip the other day I bid and won an ebay one just like this one here, a bargain at less than a fiver delivered and I have my eye on another one ending in a few days too

VivaLeBeaver Sun 17-Feb-13 23:25:08

Ok, stuff I've ought this weekend. Went to London and had a bit of a splurge.

snood

I got a green Breton top from seasalt but can't find it on their website. It's got turn up spotty cuffs so is a bit different.

Also got this blue Breton top zara

And got a grey Breton top from uniqlo but can't find that on their website either.

I tried this on as well but didn't get it. It looked nice on but wasn't the best quality fabric. I know lots of people on mn don't like white stuff.

ducks

I was also planning on getting some Nike Dunks after seeing photos of various slebs wearing them and thinking they looked nice. But they weren't as comfy as what I thought they'd be, felt quite stiff so I didn't get them. Now wondering if they'd break in? sky high

MimikosPanda Mon 18-Feb-13 09:37:56

Love that snood viva, and the zara top is the style I gravitate too. I have banned myself from more stripey tops though sad

The last link didn't work for me amd I have to confess I don't know what Nike dunks are, will google - maybe I want some and just don't know it!

Today I'm in soft play centre hell so wearing

scruffy skinnies - DP
vests
Blue stripe t-shirt - Matalan
Blue cotton button down cardi - Primark
Spotty scarf - Peacocks

sherzy Mon 18-Feb-13 09:46:10

Let me join. Limited budget and a new Primark convert.

Just bought three blazers from there for £7 each, lovely for work or over jeans. Also lots of sheer blouses in reddish puples, white and black. Some large baggy t-shirts and a cross over brown fake leather bag for £4.

Also some DP soft brown skinny trousers for work, very comfortable.

MimikosPanda Mon 18-Feb-13 09:47:14

Just checked ebay and I put a cheeky 99p bid on a H&M navy sweatshirt late lastnight, same as this one [[ http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221188511948 here]]. Got it for less than £3.50 delivered, I love ebay!!

MimikosPanda Mon 18-Feb-13 09:52:33

Sorry, can't get the ebay link to work but its item number 221188511948 if you wanted to see. Its navy, I think with a marl effect, plain no logo. Hope I like it and it fits.

nipersvest Mon 18-Feb-13 10:51:08

also did a bit of shopping at the weekend, finally got a mustard coloured cardi as have been after one for a while now, went for the one from h&m as it was a nice shade, not too acidic. it's not on the website though.

also got a few bits from tk maxx. love tk maxx grin

landofsoapandglory Mon 18-Feb-13 15:44:02

Today I am wearing
Navy Skinny Cords Matalan
Cream jumper with little parrots on
Denim Jacket
Cream scarf with butterflies ebay
Tan and black brogues Dune.

cocolepew Mon 18-Feb-13 16:08:57

Humph angry I didn't get any clothes in Belfast, nothing took my fancy. I was in Primark and H&M, but thats all I managed. I had to take the DDs to music and book shops and didn't have enough time.

I was after a Debbie Harry tshirt (I collect them) in Primark but couldn't get my size.
I got a pair of sunglasses, a long cushion with owls on it to match an owl shaped cushion I have, curtains with butterflies on them for my bedroom and a flowery clock. All Primark.
I got a ribbon thingy for around my neck to keep a fob I need to use for wirk on, from Cath Kidston.

freddiefrog Mon 18-Feb-13 16:21:12

I'm away from home visiting family and friends this week and DH wouldn't let me pack my whole wardrobe (not enough room in the car apparently hmm ) so my outfits are quite limited at the moment

Park/dog walking and lunch in the local pub with friends this afternoon, then a night in with Chinese takeaway with some different friends later tonight

Stonewash skinnies - Matalan
Longish white shirt - Crew
Blush fine knit sweater - TK Maxx
Ash Thelma's
Bargainous Barbour from one of their factory outlet stores
Leopard print Welles for the park/dog walking part of it - Christmas present from DH years ago, so probably from motorway services or online knowing him

cocolepew Mon 18-Feb-13 16:24:24

Newsflash.... Sainsbury's have a 25% off sale on clothes starting tomorrow.

freddiefrog Mon 18-Feb-13 16:29:18

Oooh, is it all clothes or just selected?

There's a t-shirt in the Gok range I quite fancy

cocolepew Mon 18-Feb-13 16:34:52

It came up on my fb page and it includes Gok, I will have to head over tomorrow for research purposes grin

MimikosPanda Mon 18-Feb-13 17:36:52

Thanks for that Coco I need some childrens t-shirts so will go and check out what they have.

stefb Mon 18-Feb-13 21:02:10

Thanks for the la redoute advice. I've seen a few nice dresses on there but was never sure about ordering from them. I bought a gorgeous zara top at christmas and had it in my wardrobe not sure whether to wear it. I did wear it at last with indigo skinnies from primark and then today with black skinnies from new look and I'm glad I kept it. www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/uk/en/zara-neu-S2013/358008/1117073/ not sure if I've done the link properly! I have it in the blue

CointreauVersial Mon 18-Feb-13 22:37:21

Nice top, stef....

Today I am wearing:

Beige alpaca jumper, inherited from stepmum
Cream and black striped tube skirt, H&M
Beige faux fur gilet, Mango
Black opaques
Black Mighty ankle boots, Topshop

Jezabelle Mon 18-Feb-13 23:08:33

Trills, I've been lurking for days, and have just ordered that stripy dress! Am 5'9 so hope it's not too short on me!

Thanks for link!

cocolepew Tue 19-Feb-13 15:54:49

I went over to Sainsbury's and bought nothing shock. That's 2 days in a row, I think in the back of my head I realise I shouldn't be. I have house insurance, car insurance and car tax to pay this month sad.

freddiefrog Tue 19-Feb-13 16:54:52

I mooched over to Sainsbury's today and came out empty handed. The t-shirt I had my eye on was in the promo but not in my size

I had a wander round the massive Matalan near my mother and came out with a minging pair of fuschia skinnies for my foster daughter, and a snood.

I've been coveting this on their website for ages, but it just wasn't all that in the flesh

www.matalan.co.uk/fcp/product/fashion-to-buy-online/Coats-&-Jackets/-Leather-Look-Sleeve-Jacket/70920&resultsPerPage=100&attrList=Dept,brand

I had my Pinterest wish list which I swore to myself I'd stick to, but wasn't in love with anything - I didnt even impulse buy completely random stuff

I've lost my shopping mojo, or maybe it just doesn't feel right if I haven't got kids hanging off me whining that they're bored/hungry/tired/etc/etc so I had more than 2 minutes to make a decision

Today, I've been wearing

Indigo skinnies - H&M
Black ribby top - eBay
Black blazer - H&M
Ash Thelma
Parka - ancient from Very

plaingirly Tue 19-Feb-13 17:27:10

Really cute grey office wear in Tesco. Jacket, pencil skirt, trousers, and fitted dress. All grey with little white dots and pale pink lining!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now