The best primers for oily/porey skin?

(25 Posts)
BruisedFanjo Sat 02-Feb-13 17:33:48

Anyone got any recommendations? I have very large "open" pores and get v oily in the t zone. Currently have smash box photo finish (v good on cheeks, makeup still looks fresh), too faced primed and pore less (does nothing for me) and benefit the porefessional (doesn't seem to work under makeup but decent for wearing alone to mattify/soft focus the skin a bit). I've only had my face makeup on for about 3h and its all melted off my tzone already sad

Thanks in advance smile

jalopy Sat 02-Feb-13 19:11:27

I'm interested too.

Chiggers Sat 02-Feb-13 19:51:27

I've tried loads of primers, from Stile to Avon, from Revlon to Laura Mercer and Smash Box, and non of them stayed on, for more than an hour due to the oiliness of my t-zone.

I rarely wear make up anyway because I always feel like I've got a face mask on. Even when applied by a professional.

I'll be looking at this thread with interest.

Lexiesinclair Sat 02-Feb-13 19:53:09

Another one here with a similar problem but sadly nothing helpful to add...

sickofsocalledexperts Sat 02-Feb-13 20:05:41

It isn't a primer and in fact goes over make-up but have you tried nanoblur from Boots? Very good

Hypermutley Sat 02-Feb-13 20:20:13

Hi, i have oily skin and somewhat big pores after much experimenting my favourites are the no 7 for and Mac primers. I think no 7 keep make up on for longer tho, but Mac is smoother.

QuinnFabray Sat 02-Feb-13 20:25:25

Have always rated MAC spf 50 prep and prime for helping with oiliness, but sadly I think they've changed the formula and it's not as good. I hate siliconey primers. Am currently using Urban decay de-slick spray, used before foundation, and that's working quite well. Also depends on the foundation you're using. Long lasting ones are much better on oily skin. So you need a decent oil control primer ( very elusive ) combined with a long lasting foundation. Blotting paper helps too.

I still get oily, but it's manageable.

KatoPotato Sat 02-Feb-13 20:26:47

I've found benefits pore-fessional to be super at smoothing out my potholes! <strokes smooth nose>

FaffTastic Sat 02-Feb-13 20:36:19

I use benefits porefessional followed by a bit of Estée Lauder radiance primer

Have tried loads and am very happy with the above.

QueenBoudicea Sat 02-Feb-13 20:55:29

try nip + fab no needle serum. it is the only thing that has worked me. I don't need a primer - just put a light moisturizer over it in the winter.
you can find it in boots - it's the only miracle product that I've ever bought a second bottle of!

HelgatheHairy Sat 02-Feb-13 21:10:19

I love benefits porefessional. Think it's very good. The BEST thing ever though is urban decay de-slick or stay all night (forgot the name). You mist it on your face after applying make up and nothing moves. The make up artist used it on my wedding day in New York in August and I was still matt after 3 hours taking photos in the sun! But I never got the name from the make up guy as I was having a hair crisis and distracted!

KatoPotato Sat 02-Feb-13 21:29:06

Helga I just use ellenette! Tip learned from tv makeup artist!

BruisedFanjo Sat 02-Feb-13 21:41:37

Lots of good suggestions thank you smile I do like Mac, so will def try that one. And the urban decay! Not only is my skin super oily, but I also have exfoliative dermatitis and the cream I use to control that is super greasy sad I usually have to choose between being a spotty oil slick or being really flaky.

The porefessional hasn't been working for me at all, am I applying it wrong? I put a dollop either side of the nose and stroke it outwards?

spanishring Sat 02-Feb-13 21:47:26

Elnett?! Bloody hell

Decleor do this which I haven't tried but which sounds promising
http://www.salonskincare.co.uk/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/19/products_id/26343#&#tabs-2
Not a primer but actively helps control shine

Poodlehorse Sat 02-Feb-13 22:21:41

I've used this one and think it is the best but I don't have a VERY oily tzone anymore but I notice they now do a clarifying one. DHC stuff is great.

QuinnFabray Sat 02-Feb-13 23:25:04

I occasionally use hairspray too! Works brilliantly. I was concerned about spraying it on my face, but actually, I compared the ingredients of hairspray and the Urban Decay De-Slick, and they share a lot of the same ingredients. Yikes. It works though, and nothing else does.

QuinnFabray Sat 02-Feb-13 23:26:05

Helga, mist the deslick on before make up too, and it works even better.

ClaudiaCutie Mon 04-Feb-13 13:04:25

I'm in this situation and it drives me insane (large pores, tons of oil on t zone). Used to love MAC SPF Prep&Prime then it was reformuated without notification and it's now useless for oily skins (new formula is greasy and sticky). I am so hacked off with MAC for doing this.

Have tried Urban Decay and three different Smashbox primers - all moderately useless. Best SPF product is Hourglass Mineral Veil (available SpaceNK, Zuneta, £20 for a teensy tube, I know ... OR without SPF, Bioderma Pore Refiner which is a FANTASTIC product. Blurs pores, controls oil. Seriously good!

I have had great success with the Bioderma products (tried lots, no duds yet) and am so pleased I've found them. Ludicrously, there is no proper retailer for them in UK so you have to go Ebay or Guide Sante. The products are cheap (about £8 to £13 per bottle depending on source). Highly recommended!

Another to try is the YSL Matt Touch, but that's £30 and I can't see it outperforming the Bioderma.

KatoPotato Mon 04-Feb-13 13:12:03

My dermatologist told me to get rid of my magnifying mirror!

BruisedFanjo Mon 04-Feb-13 18:56:41

Bioderma you say? Can you recommend an eBay seller Claudia? x

BruisedFanjo Mon 04-Feb-13 18:58:48

So far I have a nice big list to be going on with so thanks all :D keep any ideas coming though, my skins been this way for over 20 years so I'm willing to try anything!

ClaudiaCutie Wed 06-Feb-13 14:03:51

BF - WRT to Ebay, I've bought Bioderma from these people on Ebay in UK:
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/*oasis-uk*/m.html?item=180957990605&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Hopefully the link works ok, I'm not good at them, sorry.

Also bought some Bioderma stuff from an Ebayer in Poland and equally I've bought some ultralightweight mattifying sunscreen from Thailand on Ebay and always had great service from all. Have a good read of the Bioderma website and check reviews on Makeupalley first as there is a quite a big range of products and you want to be choosing the right item before putting your money down.

I have bought products from Le Guide Sante (they have a big range) but they charge £6.65 delivery which makes me choke a bit compared to the cheap postage by Ebayers.

Oh - one other thing!!! Boots Mattifying Makeup Base (white squeezy tube, about £12) is also very good, mega matte, non silicone. Worth checking out the tester in the shop. Not as amazing as Bioderma but way easier to get hold of and very good for non-makeup days.

WhyCatcher Wed 06-Feb-13 14:13:52

Matte Miracle by Cosmetics a la Carte. A little goes a long way.

ConnieLinghurst Wed 06-Feb-13 15:09:50

Kato - do you use the elnett on top of moisturiser and under foundation?

neriberi Wed 06-Feb-13 15:34:22

I have large pores and are prone to oiliness, I've spent a lot of money searching for my hero products and think I have finally found what works for me.

I use Nars Multi-Protect Primer SPF 30 (the paraben & mineral oil free one) its amazing and you don't need very much. I follow this with Bobbi Brown skin foundation and a loose powder. My skin never feels clogged up or as if I'm wearing a mask.

I use my normal moisturiser (well a light moisturing fluid by Nude Skincare), wait about 15 mins or so then put the primer on, wait another 10 mins for my skin to settle then slap my make-up on. I work in London and get up mega early (5:15am), my make-up seems to last me all day. I'm not one for touching up my make-up either, I don't do handbags because I hate carting stuff around with me.

There us a website called makeupalley.com that has lots of reviews on it about skincare, I always check this site out before I buy anything and I always try and blag a sample off the sales counter before making a purchase as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now