ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Are Fish Pedicures any good

(17 Posts)
Glossynotflossy Wed 30-Jan-13 20:48:02

Yes most placea that popped up in my area have closed down.

Viviennemary Wed 30-Jan-13 19:18:56

When I first read about them I thought fish nibbling your toes. Like being on some sub tropical beach. That's the idea I suppose. Then I heard they could cause infection. Not so great. And I feel quite sorry for the fish. It's exploitation. grin

Samu2 Wed 30-Jan-13 19:10:30

I tried it once and it didn't do my feet much good, plus those little fuckers felt horrible sucking on my feet.

The one I went to opened and closed within 3 months. My friend took me and I impulsively said yes not putting much thought into it. She did throughly check my feet for any signs of fungus/ infection and warts etc

Snog Wed 30-Jan-13 19:07:24

Pity the poor fish I always think

TomArchersSausage Wed 30-Jan-13 19:01:43

'So there's always somebody's soggy piece of corn lurking... ' Arrgh ok I surrender<retch>. Say no more!

Back to my trusty Newtons sponge.

Panzee Wed 30-Jan-13 17:32:08

How can they get completely clean? I assume you're not supposed to totally change the water as it's not good for the fish. So there's always somebody's soggy piece of corn lurking...

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Wed 30-Jan-13 17:29:30

Fish pedicures -urgh, disgustingly unhygienic. Glad to hear they are closing down.

If you have hard skin, go and see a podiatrist. They will painless remove it for you.

superfluouscurves Wed 30-Jan-13 17:25:27

Horsedogs this was the advice given by my doctor to a colleague who got a fungal infection in her toe after having a pedicure. There often is inadvertent cutting of skin when technicians shave away too much hard skin or use a pumice or nail file too vigorously.

HorsesDogsNails Wed 30-Jan-13 17:17:01

They were a fad and all the places in my town that were offering them are closed...... A regular pedi done by a good pedicurist/nail technician with clean, sanitary tools and gorgeous products is far more effective and enjoyable.

Superfluouscurves UV sterlisation is not necessary for a standard pedicure - there is not cutting of skin so no risk of the transfer of bodily fluids. A soak in an appropriate disinfection solution or the use of a disinfectant spray for metal tools is a perfectly adequate level of hygiene. Hth's

LillianGish Wed 30-Jan-13 17:12:25

My SIL and I had one for laugh - it was quite literally a laugh (VERY tickly!) Didn't seem to have any effect though so not worth it if your aim is to have more beautiful feet.

superfluouscurves Wed 30-Jan-13 17:10:57

And while on the subject, I am very choosy about where I go for ordinary pedicures. It's very easy for funguses and other nasties to get transferred from unsterilised implements. I only go to places where they sterilise each set of implements every time in a light laser box thingy (or whatever they are called) and where they have disposable liners in the bowls.

superfluouscurves Wed 30-Jan-13 17:08:49

this article explains that risk of HIV and Hep C infection are low but recommends that people with diabetes or suppressed immune systems should not have them - plus lists other times when it is not advisable eg when you have had legs waxed or shaved in previous 24 hrs or have open scratches or abrasions (scroll down).

I wouldn't go for one personally.

SneezySnatcher Wed 30-Jan-13 16:57:09

Are they even still available? We had three of these places in town - all have now closed. I thought this was due to H&S concerns?

My friend had one and hated it.

chanie44 Wed 30-Jan-13 14:13:31

I had one and didn't think it was worth it. I think soaking your feet in water gives the illusion of softer feet overall, my feet felt the same.

TomArchersSausage Wed 30-Jan-13 11:43:01

Lolgrin I was hoping for mutual satisfaction

rollmopses Wed 30-Jan-13 11:37:05

Definitely. For the fish.

TomArchersSausage Wed 30-Jan-13 11:16:59

?

I might need something with teeth the size of a shark thoughgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now